billvon

Jerry Bird updates

A post soliciting money was recently removed from here, but I have gotten several questions about the Jerry Bird issue - so I'll post what I know.

Jerry was jailed July 25th over an alimony issue. He had a heart attack the next day, and is being held in the medical ward of the prison. He's very anxious right now. Friends of his are working to get him released so he can go to a decent medical center, but they are having trouble.

Letters sent to the address below will reach him.

Jerry Bird
20101 Central Blvd.
Land O' Lakes, FL 34637

For further details/comments/"how can I help" type questions, contact Julia Murphy at:

JuliaMurphy(AT)Oglethorpe.edu
juliamargaretmurphy(AT)yahoo.com

To send cards/letters to Jerry Bird:

10145 Connerly Road
Dade City, FL 33525

Thank you, everyone, for your letters of support for the 'father of relative work', Jerry Bird.

Some who never met Jerry have written to him. Some have known him for more than forty years have come forward to be with him. Whether it was on the first star formations, an electric star, a 727 jump at Quincy, a World Team record, or the very first time there was a BASE jump at Angel Falls - you have written and called and remembered fondly and respectfully your meeting and spending time with Jerry, or how you heard about him and his contributions to our sport around the campfire. Collectively, your notes, pictures, stories - all have been so very uplifting and helpful during this challenging time.

Please keep your cards and notes coming to the home address listed above.

I'm especially pleased to let you all know that because of the support of Jerry's friends throughout the world, you freed Bird today. His sons are making sure he has the right medicines now, and they will be making sure that Jerry gets the ongoing medical evaluation and care that he needs. I'll continue to coordinate the fundraising to help defray the legal and medical costs while we help our brother/father/friend sort this out. Feel free to contact me, or Jerry's son listed in the cc if you have any questions of us.

Thank you all so very, very much.

Celebrate life, with peace, light, love and hope - ever - Julia Margarita