mbondvegas

Cutaway Stats

I know there are stats on 'incidents' but what about stats for 'reasons' for cutaways?

If you've cutaway please answer why. If you have done multiple cutaways please answer for each time. Thanks. I thought this would be interesting for a lot of people.

Thanks.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Lines caught under my left arm after an unstable IAD exit (my 5th jump). It could be fixed by simply raising the arm, but looked as a nasty spinning mal for my unexperienced eye - so my hands went for the handles immediately. BTW subsequently I had massive line twists on the reserve just behind my neck... :|

3 chops
1 student gear unstable deployment, lines talngled around my arms and legs
2 flat spin on Stiletto
3 reserve handle swinging in the breeze, in future I'll probably land this same configuration.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I know there are stats on 'incidents' but what about stats for 'reasons' for cutaways?

If you've cutaway please answer why. If you have done multiple cutaways please answer for each time. Thanks. I thought this would be interesting for a lot of people.

Thanks.

This saves list from Chuting Star rigging loft may sort of be what you're looking for.

http://www.chutingstar.com/saves.php

I have two:

-A complete line group came loose from the riser due to an elongated french link. The link had been overtightened and the barrel nut became damaged. The threads stripped right out the bottom. It was a borrowed rig - I checked the links to make sure they were tight (as I always do) but did not catch the fact that one was overtight.

-I had an incredibly hard opening and broke three nose lines side-by-side.

The first one was about jump number 1885 and the next one was only 100 jumps later.

I have had several more malfunction type issues that I was either able to clear or land safely.
Arrive Safely

John

Jump 27.:|

Right toggle fired on deployment and wrapped itself good and proper up around my lines about a foot out of my reach. Slider was up and when I tried to control the canopy using my rear risers the slider came slamming down and the toggle went through the slider grommit out of my reach forever.

Inexperience, my training, a deep spot and my own judgement that it was not a landable canopy and I could get f*cked up on it told me to get shot of it so I got rid of it at 2k.

Only thing is I am grateful it was not like a funky high speed mal as my first...although I am sure it was a lot more funky than I remember it as it all slowed down as it was happening (like a car accident can do) and my rib still hurts when I am driving/sitting at a desk to this day and that was over 2 months ago now. God knows how that happened but it hurt the next day after my chop. Probably from the initial main opening I would have thought or the mental twists I had on my reserve. Who knows.

A friend of mine managed to pack himself a line over the other week on jump 55. I think in a weird way he actually quiet enjoyed his experience. Sicko.:P:P:D

Loooooooong snivel followed by hard opening (!) followed in turn by spinning canopy with both toggles still stowed. Hard deck. Not sure what was wrong with Mr canopy, but it was time to part company.:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

1)Tension Knot ~Jump 56 I think
2 & 3) Lineovers. 1 I couldn't clear and the second one I was at/below 2k and chopped without really trying to clear it becuase I was pissed. Good thing it was due for a repack but I still shouldn't have rushed the chop because I was pissed off.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Hey JT. I'll be out to Mesquite when it cools down and the Caravan is back in town.

Yes, It looks like I missed a few options in my haste: Line Over, Streamer, Ball-O-$hit, Horse Shoe, etc.
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

You Vegas People need to come up for the Casa.

Oh and nice read on your horseshoe JT. Hadn't seen/read that thread before and glad I did. Will take notice of some of those issues your mal raised :)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

So was reviewing this list: http://www.chutingstar.com/saves.php

One individual had 15 Cutaways in less than 2 years and 8 were from Line-Overs.

I noticed that as well. I would bet that the person in question is a tandem master. Lineover malfunctions are more common on tandem canopies (and presumably a tandem master at a busy tandem DZ such as ASC would do a high volume of jumps). Chuting Star was located at ASC at the time.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I voted "Other". for a while last year, my canopy started doing something REALLY strange.

on opening, one end cell would stay closed with the top skin folded over the nose, flapping in such a way that it didnt want to let the two end cells inflate. Usually I would get a half to 3/4 turn out of it and it would self correct.

I caught it one jump as it did it pretty agressively, and after pumping the brakes, it stabilzed. The second time it happened so fast that the next thing I knew I was spiraling out of control towards the ground. plan B!

ithe problem tapered off as fast as it started, and havent seen it since. *shrug*

Hornet 150, loading it a little under 1 to 1.

The only cool thing was that I got it on video from a fellow jumper, and I dropped the main on home plate of a little league diamond behind our hangar... nice spot, eh? The only thing better would have been to drop the main in the peas.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!