upndownshop

Your AAD opened your reserve for you ....do you still live???

36 FPS at maximum operating weight ............How hard of a landing is that?

Under an overloaded reserve you might be looking 40 fps. or more. That is around 27 to say 30 mph. That is damn hard even if the first thing you his is horizontal ground. If it is an vertical obstacle you will be in deep do do.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

TSO C23D requires that a reserve canopy not exceed 24 FPS decent rate and the total velocity not exceed 36 FPS at maximum operating weight in the post-deployment configuration brakes set).

How hard of a landing is that?

Derek

at maximum operating weight in the post-deployment configuration brakes set).

yep and that is under what loading???? How many of us stay within the mfr requirements???

If I had been unconscious on my Cypres save, I am quite sure I would have survived (unless my head struck something hard, had to ditch my helmet), provided the plane wasn't coming in for landing because the reserve would have been flying across the runway at low altitude.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

TSO C23D requires that a reserve canopy not exceed 24 FPS decent rate and the total velocity not exceed 36 FPS at maximum operating weight in the post-deployment configuration brakes set).

max weight, or max recommended (1.3 for smart)?

Aerodyne has 220lb max for the 99-135 - wouldn't a 2.0 WL be substantially faster than 36fps?

How hard of a landing is that?

Derek

Does that include the speed generated by a weight shift turm if the unconcious jumper is asymetrical in the harness?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The latest issue of Australian Skydiver Magazine has a story about a guy who collided with another jumper on a wingsuit jump which knocked him out and sent him into a steep dive. His cypres fired and the force of the opening fractured his C2 to 6 vertebraes and split the body of his C7 (spinal cord OK!!!). His reserve stayed on windline and he landed softly. He is taking a year off jumping to heal.

His reserve stayed on windline and he landed softly. He is taking a year off jumping to heal.

He's a mate and no he did NOT land softly, but he did land soft enough, Andre is still with us :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Had this happen in texel two years ago. Jumper with no helmet on smashed into the door while exiting and was rendered unconscious. Cypress fired, all he did was roll an ankle on landing. Went to hospital, no breaks, just a bad sprain.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Where I jump in the midwest, literally smack in the middle of the largest cornfields you could possibly imagine...? Yup.

Landing would likely either be soft mud in the spring or tall corn in the summer.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

max weight, or max recommended (1.3 for smart)?

Aerodyne has 220lb max for the 99-135 - wouldn't a 2.0 WL be substantially faster than 36fps?

Max weight., so for a 99, that would be 220 pounds suspended weight.

It doesn't account for any harness turns, which may or may not happen.

I brought it up since it is a major factor in whether or not you get hurt, how fast you would be going under the reserve.

24 FPS is 16.364 mph
36 FPS is 24.545 mph

If you are under the max TSO wweight (as I read AS8015b, someone correct e if I am wrong), and not inducing any harness turns, you should be below these numbers. Altitude, harness turns, etc will increase your speed though.

I am not trying to answer the question, just make it easier to answer.

Derek

So if you are unconscious under your reserve during landing...do you think you will live through it????
Assuming that you dont hit any objects on landing...

I know someone who not only lived but walked away...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

No idea. Having an AAD increases my chances.

Weight shift in harness due to being unconscious will make the canopy turn. Under my main I can swoop using only harness turns. My reserve will be moer docile, but whether it is docile enough I don't know.

24 fps is equivalent to falling from 9 ft ...

When I was in college, a student died after falling off one step, having hit the base of his skull when he landed.

That said, around here it's mostly tilled cornfields and beanfields, I think you'd do reasonably well, if you didn't end up face down and suffocate in the dirt/mud.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I think the main point here is this: If you pick your reserve with more consideration to its packed volume i.e. "Is it properly small and cool", then you may be jeapordizing your safety. If you land unconscious under a small, overloaded reserve, you have a greater chance of getting seriously injured or killed. Sure, it's possible for a skilled canopy pilot to pull off a landing under a reserve at a wingloading of 1.9. But, if you're hanging limp in the harness with visions of sugarplums dancing in your head when you cream into a Wal-Mart parking lot, then none of that skill will help, and you may never wake up.

It's common knowledge that many folks jump reserves that are way over the wingloading that would be considered safe in the event of this scenario. But this is a sport of individual choices and risk assessments. I make my equipment choices and you make yours. No problems.

Kevin

So if you are unconscious under your reserve during landing...do you think you will live through it????
Assuming that you dont hit any objects on landing...

This one of the reasons I have 99 sq. ft. mains with 218 sq. ft. reserves.

Even if I am conscious under reserve, there is a chance that I went to silver because of a broken collarbone or something similar (breaking a collarbone in a blown exit or good old fashioned funnel is easy). If I can't steer or flare properly, I want a nylon overcast above me.

Another consideration is that a CYPRES is going to have me open at 750 some-odd feet. Even if I can steer and flare, there is a good chance that I am going to be somewhere that does not have the requisite runway area for landing any kind of HP canopy. Being under something I can sink into someone's back yard, or land in trees without getting killed, is a good thing.

Little reserves are better than a PLF at terminal, but there are circumstances under which the results are about the same.

Blue skies,

Winsor

winsor- my SO does the same thing, he flies a Vengeance 120 main and has a 175 reserve. He wanted a larger reserve just incase he was hurt under a reserve.

I would hope that I would survive my reserve ride. Im not loading quiet 1:1 on my 135 reserve. Can only hope for the best
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...