dippymoo

Demos in Canada

So everyone on here knows something about everything. heres my question of the week:
Demos in Canada?
Any special requirements?
Do they recognise USPA or do we joins CSPA
hmm probably about 85 other questions I should ask any info appreciated.

Thanks
B|

Section 602.26 of the CARs prohibits parachute descents from an aircraft in or into controlled airspace or air route; or over or into a built-up area or an open-air assembly of persons except in accordance with section 603.37 of the CARs.

Section 603.37 of the CARs allows the prohibition stated in section 602.26, if the person complies with the provisions of a Special Flight Operations Certificate - Parachuting.

Section 603.38 gives the requirement for an application to be submitted in the form and manner required by the Special Flight Operations Standards.

Sub-section 623.38(A) “Parachute Descents Over or Into a Built-up Area or Open-Air Assembly of Persons” of the Special Flight Operations Standards outlines the information that constitutes an application for the Special Flight Operations Certificate. An application form specific to this request has not been produced and is not planned. An applicant may submit the required information in any format he or she chooses.

Sub-section 623.38(C) “Parachute Descents Over or Into a Built-up Area or Open-Air Assembly of Persons” of the Special Flight Operations Standards states the minimum qualifications a parachutist must have to be eligible to make a demo-jump.

Sub-sections 623.38(D) and (E) “Parachute Descents Over or Into a Built-up Area or Open-Air Assembly of Persons” of the Special Flight Operations Standards state the minimum standards for parachute equipment and packing.

Sub-section 623.38(F) “Parachute Descents Over or Into a Built-up Area or Open-Air Assembly of Persons” of the Special Flight Operations Standards outlines the minimum standards a parachute landing area must meet.

Applicability
The staff instructions contained in this document apply to all applications made in accordance with section 603.38 of the CARs for a Special Flight Operations Certificate - Parachuting to conduct parachute descents over or into a built-up area or an open-air assembly of persons.

Procedures
All applications to conduct parachute descents over or into a built-up area or open-air assembly of persons must be reviewed to ensure the requirements of the CARs, the Special Flight Operations Standards and the procedures contained in this staff instruction are met and can be adhered to by an applicant. The Standards contain the minimum standards for the conduct of parachute descents over or into a built-up area or open-air assembly of persons. Determination of whether an application meets the minimum standards must be made by cross-reference to the reference material. The requirement for 10 days advance notice is intended to provide Transport Canada officials with sufficient time to review an application and supporting documentation and carry out the required co-ordination early to eliminate the need for last minute action by an applicant to meet requirements. It is not the intent of this staff instruction to direct regional staff not to process an application when an application is received with less than ten days notice. Should an application arrive at a regional office in less than the normal required timeframe but can be processed accurately and completely without straining existing resources and work schedules, the service should be provided with a reminder to the client that ten days notice will be required in future.

An application shall be reviewed as follows:

Application and Supporting Documentation
1. The information that must be submitted to Transport Canada by an applicant is found in the Special Flight Operations Standards - Division III - Parachute Descents Over or Into a Built-up Area or Open-Air Assembly of Persons, Section 623.38(A)(1). It must be verified as complete or the applicant notified of any omissions as soon as possible.

2. The following areas must be checked:

Confirm all the parachutists have a valid CSPA EJR rating. Regional offices are sent a monthly update of the CSPA's EJR Rating Report directly from the CSPA. (weekly during summer months) It is recognised situations could arise when a jumper's name or renewal date is not on the list. The applicant shall be advised as soon as possible of any jumpers included on the application who are not on the list. In such cases the onus will be on the jumper to supply the regional office with proof that they do hold a valid EJR. When a jumper satisfies the conditions for initial issue or renewal of an EJR Rating, their CSPA membership card is reissued with the new expiry date of the rating indicated on of the card. Jumpers not on the latest EJR Rating Report will have to provide the regional office with a copy of this card, clearly identifying the jumper and the certification date, or a written declaration from the CSPA EJR Issuing Officer, stating the jumper has re-validated their EJR Rating.

The site diagram must be reviewed to confirm the parachute area meets the stated requirements. Any omissions of information required to make this determination shall be brought to the applicant’s attention as soon as possible.
3. The local air traffic control agency, where applicable, shall be contacted and provided with the information they require to develop the conditions to be incorporated in the Special Flight Operations Certificate to enable the operation to take place safely. Generally, demo-jumps are made from relatively low altitudes (6,000 AGL and below), as freefall from high altitude is virtually invisible to persons on the ground. As such, the amount of time parachutists participating in a demo-jump are exposed to other airspace users is relatively short, and should be easier for ATS to accommodate.

4. The regional Air Navigation Services and Airspace branch shall be contacted and provided with the information they require to take appropriate actions. These actions may include such things as the development of the conditions to be incorporated in the Special Flight Operations Certificate to enable the operation to take place safely. In the case of a demo-jump, this may only require the issuance of a NOTAM.

5. In the event the decision is made to deny an application based on safety concerns, the applicant shall be notified in writing of the decision. The letter shall contain the regulatory references and explanation for the decision.

6. For recording purposes, all information, documentation, correspondence (including records of telephone conversations) should be kept together and placed on the appropriate regional files.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Some people can't, but go ahead and do them anyway!

Some are even known to jump through clouds too!

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Packerboy provided some good air regs references.
I hope I can add something on summarizing some of the main concepts.

If you are doing a real demo in Canada, you need either the Canadian Exhibition Jump Rating, or the USPA Pro rating. Both are accepted. (Other parachute organization ratings may be accepted after special approval.)

By 'real demo' I mean those that require a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) because of a "built up area or open air assembly of persons" -- i.e., jumping over a town or an airshow crowd.

The air regs (CARs) require an SFOC not just for towns & crowds, but also when jumping in controlled airspace. (Both control zones and Class E airways.) Reading those air regs is misleading, as there is also an Exemption to the rules, that is harder to find in the online CARs. The Exemption applies to everyone, just that it's not permanently in the rules and gets renewed from time to time. The Exemption is quite reasonable, with some regs on broadcasting jumps on the radio, being in contact with ATC, having a transponder, things like that, depending on the class of airspace.

So that allows one to easily enough jump into a friends place etc through airways, without the whole SFOC approval procedure and demo rating requirement.

One uncertainty is the "open air assembly of persons". That's always been confusion and consternation here in Canada about it, whether for parachuting or general aviation. Mainly it is intended to make sure one has Transport Canada SFOC approval if one is parachuting or doing a flying demonstration in front of a crowd. Not being an expert at this, I just don't know what constitutes an "assembly of persons". Two buddies watching you jump? A private party of 100 people?

The rules say "over and into" such assemblies of persons. So one might get away with jumping 'off to the side' of such a crowd without going near them.

I remember years ago (before the 'new' CAR air regs of 1996) there would be 'non demo demos' where you didn't need an EJR because the landing area was huge with lots of outs and no crowd or city to one side. I'm not sure if Transport Canada still accepts that or not, given the above argument.

Transport Canada people seem very reasonable with SFOC's for demos. If you apply within the requested time, do your homework, and have the ratings, it seems to work out fine. The paperwork includes submitting picture or scale diagram of the site with landing area, outs, crowd line, etc. They also need a list of jumpers' names. (Perhaps it is the same in the States -- if one doesn't know who exactly will do the jump, submit a longer list of names and state that only some will actually jump.)

Staff instructions at Transport Canada and ATC say that parachuting is to be treated like any other aerial activity to be coordinated. So approval can't be withheld just because someone at ATC doesn't want to deal with both planes and skydivers.

For the SFOC there are a couple equipment regs like square reserves, and reserves packed withing 120 days. (A bit of a bizarre holdover from the old regs, as other than that we've gone to a 180 day cycle in Canada.)

[edit:] One thing I'm not sure about is insurance. I didn't see it in the regs, so it may just be an issue if the landowner or municipality requests it.

As for whether one needs to be a CSPA member: Those with EJR ratings need it of course, but a USPA Pro rating holder wouldn't seem to, unless insurance is an issue. Demo jump insurance is available through CSPA for members.

Background: I'm not a regular demo jumper so don't know all the details. I have jumped in and helped do the paperwork for a few demos.

One more point. If youre an American citizen and you are being paid for the demo in Canada...you must apply for a work visa for the time you are there.

Ive jumped the Calgary Stampede and The Edmonton days Chuck Wagon races...they made my team apply both times.

Its not a big deal really but you better have a clean criminal record in the states.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Its not a big deal really but you better have a clean criminal record in the states.

How did you slip by you old crook.:P:)

It was a lady examiner and my pretty blue eyes.LOL

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

How did you slip by you old crook.:P:)

It was a lady examiner and my pretty blue eyes.LOL

Thanks asshole, I just sprayed Gray Goose all over the keyboard.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals