Croc

You are in charge

Having a D licence doesn't mean you are an expert skydiver either.

I kinda said that, though in a more round about way I guess...but having the D says you 'qualified' as a expert.

Ya know.....theres always somebody that doesnt want to conform to the rules that we all followed, for whatever reason.
I remember the bitching about water jumps......they were a pain in the ass logistically....but man were they fun.
Now we dont wanna do nite jumps. Look heres a deal.....ive got 220 nite jumps logged.....I will be willing to sell a couple here and there. :)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I would suggest not getting in a burning airplane either... cause Twardo says the pilot can MAKE you get out! ;)

All things being said, I would really like to get some night jumps in, and I am finding it frustrating that I am not getting the opportunity. All the really experienced jumpers at our dropzone have done it and don't seem very interested in going out of their way to do it again. I'm sure there are some that would come out in a pinch and have, in order to train us up and jump with us (thanks Gilles, although you're not going to read this), but getting an instructor, weather, pilot, full load, ground crew, cars for lights, and DZO to all come together at once is seemingly impossible. I will be extremely frustrated if I have trouble getting my tandem rating because I can't get a couple night jumps.

I KNOW I can land after dusk, that argument just doesn't fly with me. If there is concern, maybe a dusk landing is in order for the coach course or TI course. But I don't think it should be required for a licence.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Look heres a deal.....ive got 220 nite jumps logged.....I will be willing to sell a couple here and there.

I have a few over 100...not sellin, tradin' or givin' away anything that was THAT mucvh fun!;)

Shit dood.....they are like potatochips....you can make more. :)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Hi PB

All things being said, I would really like to get some night jumps in, and I am finding it frustrating that I am not getting the opportunity. All the really experienced jumpers at our dropzone have done it and don't seem very interested in going out of their way to do it again. I'm sure there are some that would come out in a pinch and have, in order to train us up and jump with us (thanks Gilles, although you're not going to read this), but getting an instructor, weather, pilot, full load, ground crew, cars for lights, and DZO to all come together at once is seemingly impossible. I will be extremely frustrated if I have trouble getting my tandem rating because I can't get a couple night jumps.

I KNOW I can land after dusk, that argument just doesn't fly with me. If there is concern, maybe a dusk landing is in order for the coach course or TI course. But I don't think it should be required for a licence.

You need a night jump for your "D" so you can be a TM and make some money for the DZO, and the DZO is "to busy" to put the Night jump together for his farm team:S the pilot works for the DZO, the instructor works for the DZO etc.

Looks to me like the DZO is the problem not the liscense requirement. I'm going to take a WAG and say the DZO has enough TM's and doesn't need another one bitching because their not getting their piece of the pie.

R.I.P.

Unless say there is an aircraft that crashes at the dz and closes it during your sunset load. The pilot has to divert to another airport / area, and runs outta fuel en-route after dusk...:ph34r:

can a crash close the LZ to jumpers? Seems logical that the pilot would dump his load as soon as the closure happens. The jumpers know that LZ and it lightens his load, giving him more range (does someone need to stay to close the door?

I think the night requirement is appropriate. And I got in my first a month or so past getting the B. Haven't met the group jump yet.

PADI eliminated the night dive requirement from the Advanced cert (mind you, 9 lifetime dives can earn you OW and AOW) due to complaints. Very short sided when you can find yourself in night like conditions at 4pm and 60ft, as I did on my 8th dive.

For a D license you should do at least 10 night jumps.

1 solo, the rest should be either rw or crew.

And we should not have to come look for you after you land! ;)

Oh yeah! And get rid of that pussy water jump training. You should have at least 2 ACTUAL water jumps. Preferably in swift, cold, deep water!

Looks to me like the DZO is the problem not the liscense requirement. I'm going to take a WAG and say the DZO has enough TM's and doesn't need another one bitching because their not getting their piece of the pie.

R.I.P.

Not the case. The DZO doesn't like just anyone landing his airplanes in the dark on an unlit runway, I can live with that.

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Learning that with many or most starting canopies you can land from partial brakes, make small corrections while in brakes, etc, would keep people from making ill advised turns and landing mistakes. Always seeing people flying full out doing high performance landings doesn't make newbies aware of slow flight capabilities.***

Can't agree more. You can also safely perform braked approaches under some pretty small canopies, including cross-braced designs. But they're not the best to learn the technique on. It amazes me how few people in the sport get this.

License requirements were not written to make any one person or a group of people happy. There were not written with convenience and ease of completion in mind. The “D” requirements in particular were written with the idea of showing a well-rounded ability in skydiving. The ones I had to complete in 1976 reflected the range of skills and knowledge appropriate for the time. They would be totally inadequate today with skydiving much more multifaceted.

I think the present requirements should be kept and other added to reflect changing character of the sport. They should bring back the live water jump; include something that involves basic FF, CREW and maybe even wing suit.

When I got my “D” water jumps were not done at the DZ, you had to get off you butt and set it up yourself. This is skydiving not “spoon-feeding 101”. To get from A to C you have to pass through B.

Those who want a “D” license will do what it takes to get it. Sitting around whining, “this is too hard” in not one of the requirements and will not get you extra credit.

If you want one go get it. Simple solution to simple problem.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

3. Penalize/fine upjumpers (other than Instructor/Coach rated) for giving advice to pre-A license students.

I know guys with 7000+ jumps who are unrated, and "coaches" with as few as 120. I know whose advice I'd listen to.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

getting over your balliest

As I said before: “OK, I give up. If that is a word what does it mean?

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

“The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.”

Did you just make it up?

It's not about lacking balls. Where I jump, night jumps don't happen. We've got plenty of balls.

Footballs, Soccer balls, Baseballs, Basketballs, Bowling balls (DZO took the bowling balls away when a farmer found it with his combine).

getting over your balliest

As I said before: “OK, I give up. If that is a word what does it mean?

From Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

“The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.”

lacking balls
Did you just make it up?

Is English your first language?

The closest word I can find to “balliest” ballista, which means balding.

I think maybe you are looking for something like gelding or eunuch?

Instead of the big words I guess you could use “ball less”.

License requirements were not written to make any one person or a group of people happy. There were not written with convenience and ease of completion in mind. The “D” requirements in particular were written with the idea of showing a well-rounded ability in skydiving. The ones I had to complete in 1976 reflected the range of skills and knowledge appropriate for the time. They would be totally inadequate today with skydiving much more multifaceted.

I think the present requirements should be kept and other added to reflect changing character of the sport. They should bring back the live water jump; include something that involves basic FF, CREW and maybe even wing suit.

When I got my “D” water jumps were not done at the DZ, you had to get off you butt and set it up yourself. This is skydiving not “spoon-feeding 101”. To get from A to C you have to pass through B.

Those who want a “D” license will do what it takes to get it. Sitting around whining, “this is too hard” in not one of the requirements and will not get you extra credit.

If you want one go get it. Simple solution to simple problem.:)

In the context of the additional privileges granted by a "D" license in comparison with a "C", in what way do night jumps contribute to or evaluate skills appropriate to those privileges?

Seems to me the night jumps are just a rite of passage with no actual relevance to the "D".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.