agent_lead

how long before we see skydiving events in the olympics?

actually, a friend at my dropzone is experimenting with live transmission of jumps. it works but it needs fine tuning.

US nationals 98 they had live air to ground video.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Rumor, I was there in the rings. Everything was perfect.

What was the exit altitude, opening altitude, and how LONG were the rings held during the actual live jump?

If my memory is ok, exit was 13000 ft, it takes less than 30 secs to build the formation and been held for approximatively 20secs. Then each colored ring opened one after one.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

I don't think there is enough tension and strategy visible in a competition. The early rounds lack tension because there is plenty of time to make up poor scores in later rounds, and the later rounds can lack tension if there are clear winners.

A couple of ways of introducing tension:
* Keep the format similar to the current format, but drop a certain proportion of teams each round. Leave 4 teams in the final round and reset their scores (so anyone could win gold, and one of the teams will not get a medal)
* Forget the cumulative scores and just have it as a knock out competition. Maybe get the top 4 teams to have a 2 or 3 round cumulative score competition as the climax. It would need lots good of teams to make it worth while though (at least 16, 32 would be better)
* Live judging: Judges give scores within seconds of a team finishing a round. You could do this by allowing the judges to watch the video once only (possibly at 2/3 or 1/2 speed) and then independently give scores, like they do with figure skating. Watching the video at 2/3rrds speed would allow the judges to supply a score within 20 seconds of the competitiors finishing the round.

Also, holding the competition in a wind tunnel would solve a lot of the practical problems, and allow a fast turn around and easy judging.