agent_lead

how long before we see skydiving events in the olympics?

in reply to "My thoughts: You will never see skydiving in the Olympics in your lifetime.

Their effort is on sports that do not need 'devices' and an airplane definitely qualifies. "

Does this make it more likely that BASE jumping will get a look in before skydiving ?

Still uses devices but no aircraft.
Can be entertaining as a spectator sport.
Some disciplines are fairly athletic / gymnastic.
Relatively affordable allowing for 'level playing field' competition.

Apart from the landings skydiving doesn't cut it as a spectator sport . Too insular , too self possessed, too invisible.
The financial side kinda disadvantages a lot of people from poorer countries making the idea of competition just too lop-sided = unfair.

As far as the motor thing all chairlifts, gondolas, aerial trams have motors. In some cases helicopters are used to ferry alpine competitors to the top of the mountain.

But they do not NEED them. You can walk to the top of a ski run, you can't jog to 12500 for a jump.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My guess is you may never see it. Since the internal politics of this group is nothing more then that POLITICS.... Its not what you know but who and now the Olympic commettee is so much worried about money.....remember a few years back with the bribing cases and the black eye they received. also look at who sponsors these events...

Get the picture? its all about cash for who wants it.

Just my two cents....
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Couldn't this also be the reason swooping strands a chance of becoming a televised sport. people love carnage. I only used to watch motoGP when I was little for the crashes.

I recently saw accuracy on TV in Europe. Italy I think it was. But anyway, swooping is far more interesting than accuracy. And I don't think televised carnage is going to impact any more severely than the 30 something people who die every year. Just like someone dying at a motoGP or during a motoX race,
or even a skiing event,doesn't have dire consequences for the rest of the sport. Everyone knows what can happen...
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

We lost out to something like “Flag dancing”.

I'm guessing it will never happen. There's just way less chance of any of the competitors in Flag Dancing dying in a violent, mangling accident. I think the Olympics must be sensitive to that sort of thing. I think it's hard for jumpers to truly understand how whuffos perceive skydiving.

But, hey, everyone has an opinion.

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Looks like we all have little faith in the chance that any skydiving disciplines will ever become olympic.

But.. Would you all see it as a good thing if it did?

I mean.. look where many famous well-paid professional sports are.. do you want to go there?

Of course it would be nice to actually be able to earn money with skydiving. Or to win more than a few thousand bucks on a competition. But there might be a trade-off..

Part of what i love about skydiving is that you can go on a dropzone and do a fun jump with a world champion. Try playing a round of golf with tiger woods..

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

I'm guessing it will never happen.

I think that's a safe bet.

What I don't get is why skydivers want it to happen. Do you think any flag dancers are really hoping they get a go at the US Nationals? We have our competitions already.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

look where many famous well-paid professional sports are

Most olympic athletes are amateur scrapping by a living to dedicate whatever they have to their sports.

If you think Airspeed, Maubeuge, or Fire would be rich is Skydiving was a olympic sport, you should rather compare us to Archery, Walking, or Luge competitiors: great atheletes, but in obscure sports.
Remster

in reply to 'We have our competitions already."

Perhaps there's room in the sky and the future for the .............'AerOlympics.'

for all the left out newish airpowered sports.

actually, a friend at my dropzone is experimenting with live transmission of jumps. it works but it needs fine tuning.

Tell you friend it was done at the Seoul Olympics by Tom Sanders, Norm Kent ET all.
The Olympic Rings where shown live to millions around the world.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Lots of people have hiked to somewhere arround 400' for parachuting accuracy competitions. Planes just make it more convienent and safer.

No where near the same thing as a normal ski run.

But hey take your grief to the Olympics commission.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

For your education: From the FAI:

http://www.fai.org/news_archives/fai/000127.asp

Excerpts:

"During its meeting held on 29 August 2002, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board discussed the Olympic programme for the future Games of the Olympiad, specifically the Games of the XXIX Olympiad in 2008 in Beijing. Following the recommendations of the Olympic Programme Commission, the IOC Executive Board decided not to admit parachuting to the Programme of Beijing 2008."

"The Olympic Programme Commission pointed out that any changes in the structure of the Olympic Programme should result in increased value and appeal of the Olympic Games, that global public and media interest should be considered as key elements in the analyses of sports, and that sports should give special emphasis to youth and development. "

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hi Sparky,

The way I 'heard' it, during a practice jump (before the actual money jump) at the '88 Seoul Olympics, one of them had a mal and ended up landing a reserve in the midst of some parade or some such thing.

I heard the officials were crapping their drawers worrying about it happening when the jump was for real.

Or maybe it was just a rumor,

Jerry

Hi Sparky,

The way I 'heard' it, during a practice jump (before the actual money jump) at the '88 Seoul Olympics, one of them had a mal and ended up landing a reserve in the midst of some parade or some such thing.

I heard the officials were crapping their drawers worrying about it happening when the jump was for real.

Jerry

I hadn't heard that one but I don't doubt it a bit. What you don't understand can scare you and you know they did not understand what was going on.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Sparky,

Jerry

Rumor, I was there in the rings. Everything was perfect. Skidiving will never be a Olympic sport for mainly one reason, MONEY
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Well, i dont see why sky diving isnt at least in the olympics... i think they had olympic ping ponging at one point, or still do, and stupid stuff like that. So if they have stupid stuff like that on there, cant they atleast have sky diving >:(
Dreams are like rainbows. Only fools chase them