DroptheMan04

Landing patterns

Not really.

In the student world we generally offer a very specific landing pattern with altitudes, turning points, hold points, and clear directions about what to do when. As you gain experience you will be expected to make most of those decisions yourself. So, when you are a licensed skydiver you will probably only know that the drop zone uses a left or right hand pattern, and will need to fit yourself into that pattern on your own.

As another poster pointed out, when you visit a new drop zone as an experienced skydiver you should ask for a briefing that includes hazards, outs, and pattern direction. Most DZ's do that kind of basic briefing for any new jumper, no matter how many jumps they have...I have more than 4,500 jumps and always ask to see a photo so I can identify the basics of my canopy flight, and expect the DZ to tell me if they expect a specific pattern direction or have restriction on runway crossing altitudes, or if there is anything else specific to that DZ that I should know.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I am quite slow to pick things up and because I jump at different dz's a lot, I tend to talk through a landing pattern with someone before I go up in the air. I always make a point of looking at the aerial photo if I've had a bit of a lay off jumping and I am at a new dz.

Yes, sometimes briefings can be quick and not sink in. That's why I sometimes ask too many questions. No one has had a go and said I shouldn't be asking, but sometimes I do get funny looks. I say, get funny looks rather than hurting myself!

xx

Sarah
www.sneale-create.com

Just in case somebody comes in here thinking that the thread is about how to do a landing pattern or such, here's a tidbit for the newbies on adjusting a landing pattern for wind speeds.

I don't know where the graphic came from or else I would have given credit where credit is due.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239