tetra316

Self inflating belt for beach jumps

Anyone know where I can get a self inflating belt for beach jumps? The kind I'm thinking of was yellow and blue and looks just like a weight belt. I was told there is a store in Portland that sells them but can't remember where.

Just a quick word of caution on using something like that...

If you need to use it, open your harness some first.
(after splash down)

If it's 'under' a tight harness and gets inflated it doesn't expand out, but rather 'in', and that can make it real hard to breathe.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Are all the self inflating ones activated by co2? Can you travel with the belts on the airlines?

You can fly with the belts, but not the C02 cartridges. You can still inflate it, but you have to do it manually (there's a tube you blow into). What I did was order a C02 cartridge online to be shipped to someone who was driving to the boogie where flotation gear was required. Or, you could find a sporting goods store in the local area that carries the cartridges.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Are all the self inflating ones activated by co2? Can you travel with the belts on the airlines?

Chad and I brought them to Hawaii with the CO2 on them. Checked baggage. Had them in a ziploc bag with "flotation devise" on it. No problem at all.

I think you got lucky because officially they are not allowed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Chad and I brought them to Hawaii with the CO2 on them. Checked baggage. Had them in a ziploc bag with "flotation devise" on it. No problem at all.

I think you got lucky because officially they are not allowed.

Very well could be. Just happened this June/July.

PMS #394

Your post got me curious ...

I recall when I ordered the Stearns belt, it had to be shipped by ground because C02 cartridges could not be shipped via air.

When I was leaving the beach boogie at Emerald Coast in May, I forgot about my C02 cartridge and when I got to the Pensacola airport, the TSA screener said they were prohibited in checked or carry-on.

The TSA page seems to indicate that they are only allowed if empty:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

So I'd say you definitely got lucky. I imagine if I had not asked the screener in Pensacola that the cartridge would have gotten on without issue.

You can fly with the belts, but not the C02 cartridges. You can still inflate it, but you have to do it manually (there's a tube you blow into). What I did was order a C02 cartridge online to be shipped to someone who was driving to the boogie where flotation gear was required. Or, you could find a sporting goods store in the local area that carries the cartridges.

Funny thing about the CO2 cartridge rules since every airliner that fly's over water has a life vest under every seat that is inflated by the same CO2 cartridge:o

R.I.P.

Are you talking about an automatic inflating life preserver? Most of the ones listed above are CO2 or oral inflated but NOT automatically inflating. The automatic ones have a "tablet" that dissolves in water and inflates the device without action by the wearer. MOST of the time when you land in water you don't actually need the floatation device and never inflate it. I wouldn't choose an automatic one unless you want the protection for unconcious landings.

Of course we've had several people lately that needed any kind of floatation.

A couple of years ago I found a web site selling out of date airline dual chamber life vests cheap. Also Chief Aircraft was the cheapest place I knew for a single chamber CO2 vest. Make your own pack/belt or use a cheap fanny pack.

Here's a cheap FAA approved version.
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&CATID=178&Product_ID=3562&count=6&Pcount=11#
Will need to supply your own pouch.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Anyone know where I can get a self inflating belt for beach jumps? The kind I'm thinking of was yellow and blue and looks just like a weight belt. I was told there is a store in Portland that sells them but can't remember where.

Just a quick word of caution on using something like that...

If you need to use it, open your harness some first.
(after splash down)

If it's 'under' a tight harness and gets inflated it doesn't expand out, but rather 'in', and that can make it real hard to breathe.;)

The "infatabelt" type work really well if you are wearing a rig. Goes around your waist and if you need it you take it out of the pouch and slip it over your head, snap the chest buckle and pull. Not much good if you unconscious though. But then unless you leave the A/C with it inflated none of them will work for that.

Try to one with at least 30 pounds of flotation. :)
http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=26&level=2&parent=6
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The LPU flotation chamber on the same page may be available at a army navy surplus stores. For a lot less $$$$$.

They were used 35 yr's ago and may still be used on military planes and actually were designed and issued in a set to be worn with a harness as a pair.

If anyone finds them available in the surplus market cut the harness off and sew belt loops on the back of each chamber holder.

Anyone remember the flotation device sold by some jumpgear dealers that was supposed to be worn on the wrist.:S.

R.I.P.

If anyone finds them available in the surplus market cut the harness off and sew belt loops on the back of each chamber holder.

Nope Slug~;)

I LIKE the double shoulder holster thingie!B|

Keeps 'em out of the way but handy,...some of us have a lotta OTHER shit hanging off the harness etc.
when we find ourselves near water...:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~