tomvailco

Listen To This

So was walking in the office for AFF2 the other day and heard a story of 3 people that came in to do tandems. Well there were only 2 tandem masters there so one was going to have to wait for the next load. They weren't having it. Instead of dealing with it, or comming back another time they got pissed. the chick started calling one of the girls a bitch and said she would be contacting the manager! Is that stupid or what! I told them they don't want those kind of people jumping with them. I mean what did they expect them to do! :S

What where the tandem students told about slots when they made their reservations?

From my experienced of working as a DZ office manager, I always told tandems that were making reservations that we would try our hardest to make sure they were all on the same load but could not promise or give a guaranteed that it would happen. I would give them a short description of how manifesting of tandems work:

~how many tandem instructors are on for the day

~how many tandem rigs are packed

~how many slots are in the aircraft

~how many tandems want video

Sure it takes a tad more time to educate the customer over the phone, but in the long run once they arrive to do their tandem, the education part is done, and they know more what to expect. Hence, less stress in the office during their check in time.

Unfortunately those three tandem customers will go out and bad mouth the DZ. That may or may not keep some other people from coming out to make a tandem.

Always, always, educate the customer before they arrive. They are spending a lot of money for a one time event, they (the customer) expects things to be done in a style that lives up to that amount of money.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

One of the effects of tandem jumping for the first jump experience is that people start to look at DZ's as if they were fast food joints...
"We want to jump, we want to do it NOW, and we can't understand why it would take soooo long for this skydiving operation to accomodate US " ...:S the general public fails to realize that THEY are merely " Guests " at what is often a private airport.
Surly or impatient first timers , sometimes need to be "briefed" on how things work at a busy, safe, and active DZ...And when that happens, they sometimes react in such ways... Getting upset, verbalizing their unhappiness, storming around, asking to speak to "your supervisor".. etc etc.. In those cases it sometimes makes sense to tell them about the OTHER DZ they might try...
It also works both ways... IF a person calls a DZ and inquires if it is possible for 2 or 3 or 4 friends to "make their jumps together", and IF they are told "sure, no problem".. then they could be justified, in feeling upset, when the game plan is changed. STILL that is no reason for abusive and rude behavior...Proper communication between staff members is essential, especially at a bigger DZ, where there are more staff people... . If these 3 were "walk -ins" they should have been more accepting of the circumstances. If someone told them previously, that they COULD jump together i.e. be on the same load,,, then the dz staff, should have been apologetic, or maybe even made an attempt to call IN a TM who might be nearby, and available, and who could get to the DZ quickly.....
Tough to say who is to blame. But this has always been a sport, Leisure time activity, recreation , a place to go to get AWAY from day to day yahoos...... when they come around , treating a dz like an amusement park, and thinking all they need to do is drop a credit card on the counter, and get whatever they want... they can be told,
"go open your OWN Dropzone"....

Hee! Hee!
Telling students - over the phone - is nice, but much of the information is still lost.
For example, our "phone lady" routinely tells students to eat breakfast and bring tennis shoes. Still dozens of students forget their tennis shoes and our leading cause of nausea is still empty stomachs.

Let's face it, some people just don't listen.

Hee! Hee!
Telling students - over the phone - is nice, but much of the information is still lost.
For example, our "phone lady" routinely tells students to eat breakfast and bring tennis shoes. Still dozens of students forget their tennis shoes and our leading cause of nausea is still empty stomachs.

Oh I agree, I've seen it all. But at least I can go back and tell them, I thought you were told "we'd try" to put all three of you up together.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

In those cases it sometimes makes sense to tell them about the OTHER DZ they might try...

Jimmy - I always tell'em to call Dick's place :P
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

And some people are immature, self-centered, rude and convinced you are there just to accommodate their every wish. It seems there is more and more of this in skydiving and society as a whole every year.[:/]>:(
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hee! Hee!

I saw a tandem student show up in a spaghetti strap dress and some flat, but fancy sandal like shoes. Her jump went fine though.:S