CastAwayII

Tipping Instructors??

Hey Guys,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, or maybe it has and I missed it, but here goes. I don't think tipping is necessary, it shouldn't be. A few people said it best when they said, It shouldn't be expected, but when given, it should be appreciated. Basically the problem is for people who only take and never contribute back to anyone. That's when there's a problem. If you show people that help you that you appreciate what they're doing for you, that's all. I don't think you have to bring beer every trip to the DZ, but maybe out of random bring a case for no good reason just to show you appreciate all the help from everyone.

It's a give/take relationship, you can take and take and take, then one day, you try taking some more and realize everyone is ignoring you because you don't give back. How's that 2 way coach jump gonna go now?

What I normally do:
I occassionally bring beer when necessary. Also, when i'm out there and someone needs a hand, whether it be a student, or a tandem person in need of a catcher, I'm more than willing to help. I'm new myself, but I try to contribute. Even if it's as small as talking to some new students to get them comfortable, or showing them around, that is appreciated by the DZ. Everyone is busy, so any little help is always appreciated.

I guess it all comes down to how you wer raised and what you feel is "necessary", what is "expected" and what is "appreciated".

There's my rant!

EDIT:
Be sure to tip your rigger well...
"When once you have tasted flight..."

EDIT:
Be sure to tip your rigger well...

B|

Let me guess, you're a TI, right?
Wait, maybe an AFFI?
Couldn't possibly be a rigger.....
hehe

TI!!??! ... let see, NO! ... sometimes the passengers puke on you (not my idea of fun), sometimes the passengers aren't all young attractive girls, and I like my knees the way they are, intact...

AFFI???... could be one if I got motivated, I suppose, but I've already got a full time work type job during the week, don't need (or want) another job on the weekends...

Senior Rigger?? ... mmmm, couuuuld beee... ;)

UUUUM, Gosh. I feel kind of bad. I had never even thought of tipping anyone there. They have been great to me. I have only had two tandems but will be there next week and then I am going to try to get my license. I just had a discussion with my husband about bringing burgers and hot dogs next week when I go and bringing enough for everyone to have. We were going to grill out there. This is something I have to give some thought to. Is grilling enough or is this not appropriate? I have drummed up a little bussiness for them. I have 11 referals that will be going in October. Maybe I need to think about doing a bit more. What do you think?

UUUUM, Gosh. I feel kind of bad. I had never even thought of tipping anyone there. They have been great to me. I have only had two tandems but will be there next week and then I am going to try to get my license. I just had a discussion with my husband about bringing burgers and hot dogs next week when I go and bringing enough for everyone to have. We were going to grill out there. This is something I have to give some thought to. Is grilling enough or is this not appropriate? I have drummed up a little bussiness for them. I have 11 referals that will be going in October. Maybe I need to think about doing a bit more. What do you think?

As an instructor (who does not need to be an instructor to pay the mortgage, I admit) - I rather get a sincere thank you and perhaps a referral or, as you mentioned, small acts of kindness like a lunch or bottle of water when I am working hard, instead of a tip... The cash is nice, but skydiving is expensive to begin with - and I would never expect it.

So to answer your question - I think grilling food for everyone is a super cool thing that I think is a great idea!

Ok I need to jump in here too and get some advice. I went tandem jumping with videos 6 times. ( I know go through the course!) I am signed up for the course September 14th.

Anyhow, EACH time I went I gave the TM $20 and the video person $10 or $20 depending on how good I thought he/she was.

Now I am going through a a two day, ten jump course from 9:00-6:00 each day. What would be appropriate here for tipping??

Also, I didn't think about tipping the packers, of course, I didn't know where they were either. They weren't in plain view.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

No Worries Nikky
No Worries, You're Good!

14th.

Anyhow, EACH time I went I gave the TM $20 and the video person $10 or $20 depending on how good I thought he/she was.

Now I am going through a a two day, ten jump course from 9:00-6:00 each day. What would be appropriate here for tipping??

Also, I didn't think about tipping the packers, of course, I didn't know where they were either. They weren't in plain view.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

-------------------------------------------------------
As a TM/I, I always appreciated a tip....from a one time passenger that I knew was never gonna come back.

You on the other hand are a student who has more than tipped enough. Save the tip money for your "firsts" beer.

When I use a packer...if the packjobs are good.. I always tip.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Thanks for the advice. Being as I have been to the DZ 6 times I know their beer of choice (because the outside garbage barrels are full to the brim with empty beer bottles every Sat / Sun morning I have been there.)

Fortunately for me it's the beer I drink! I will bring a case of beer...make that 2 cases because there are three of us taking the course and we'll want to drink beer with them afterwards B|

I can't wait until September 14th and my first solo, ok well it's static line, but what the hell, there won't be anyone on my back :ph34r:

Skydiving rocks and has changed my outlook on everything. Eveyone at my local DZ you rock!

Happy and Fun skydiving!
No Worries, You're Good!

Any skydiver would welcome a monetary tip...anytime, for any service.

True...while we're at it, I think we should tip the dz.com Moderators. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon