CastAwayII

Tipping Instructors??

If you are going to become a skydiver, don't tip them. Just buy 'em a beer at the end of the day. Remember, you are going to be one of them soon.

If it's one jump and you feel like they spent a lot of time and personal attention with you, then sure toss em a few bucks.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

A lot of different viewpoints.

Personally, I always tip anytime a service is provided that’s personal in nature – Waitpersons, Sushi Chef, Valet Parker, Massage Therapist etcetera...

I once read an interesting viewpoint on skydiving in one of these forums that went something like: When we jump from an airplane we are effectively committing suicide and it is up to the jumper to save their life. Another words, a skydiving instructor is risking all to train students, and after seeing several years of action jumping with students, it can sometimes be a little, ummmm, exciting.

Skydive instruction is a very personalized service in the sense that a good instructor will adapt his or her instructional method to better suit the learning of the student and will go the extra mile to ensure that the student they are working receives the very best service and will ground train for longer durations when it is deemed necessary. I have seen instructors that go the extra mile and some that are mediocre and do not care about or do not have the ability to teach thoroughly and effectively.

Just my opinion - if you can afford it, tip your instructors something, and take into consideration the quality of service they provide you. Whenever I receive a tip from a student is means a lot to me in the sense that full time instructors who make skydive instruction their sole vocation, they don’t make large annual salaries and it makes me feel appreciated for a job well done. That being said, I provide the very best service to students who do and do not tip, but it certainly feels good when they do. It is a show of appreciation and might mean that my wife and I can eat a better meal than taco bell that evening.

Tipping you instructor is greatly appreciated for excellent service.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Dammit !!! no one ever tips the packers !!! Aren't we an integral part of the skydive ??? The behind-the-scenes hero's even ?? You had fun . . . tip your instructor . . . you lived !!!! . . . tip your packer !!!

Always. I gave a 20 for the last packjob
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

If you're a one time jumper, tip your instructor. If you're continuing on, bring beer to the DZ (good beer).

Emphasis on GOOD.

Very dissappointing when someone comes back from the local liquor store with a case of Blatz.

And downright disgusting when an experienced jumper reaching a milestone or a significant first "treats" everyone to a Busch Light.

Blech!
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

And downright disgusting when an experienced jumper reaching a milestone or a significant first "treats" everyone to a Busch Light.

That's the beer of choice at our DZ for half the video guys. I just bought 2 cases for a vid guy who videod my niece's tandem last week.

I couldn't agree with AFFI more!!!

Good service should be rewarded. If a person you are dealing with went above and beyond, why not reward their efforts?

To address tipping in restaurants, go to lunch at an unfamiliar family restaurant; service will be polite but the server most likely won't have any cocktail or wine knowledge and will know the ingredients of a few menu items. Now, go to a "fancy" (read "fine dining") restaurant (think of Manhattan or Charleston or Vegas) and you will see an enormous difference. They are paid the same wage, your tip should reflect the level of service.

Why would this not carry over to skydiving, massuese (sp?), barber, etc...

Along these lines, the tip also carries down the road some. If I get the same server on my next visit, they will remember my tip and most likely that I like Iced Tea and a slow meal. The barber may slide me into their busy schedule because I am going out of town and need a trim for business; same for the massage therapist (easier than spelling massuese again incorrectly). Why is your skydiving instructor different.

Having said this, a tip doesn't have to be money, beer and burgers work. Something to show that you appreciated their efforts. If you think their efforts don't warrent a tip, you should let management know that a member of their staff is subpar.

Just my thoughts, from a career serving people.
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Tipping for good service is good... but where does it stop? I've been a doc for 6 years, my service is damn good... I make house calls and am on call 24/7. But I don't get tipped, no matter how far I go beyond the call of duty.

I'm a packer. Some people tip, some don't. I definitely appreciate the tips, and certainly wont' turn them down... I do my best on every pack job. However, the pay is pretty good even leaving tipping out of the equation. On a busy day, I'll make more packing than I do in a day as a doc!

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

On a busy day, I'll make more packing than I do in a day as a doc!

This is an unusual case, as most packers are not moonlighting professionals. However, when packers make as much as doctors, I don't think they need a tip.

Most packers have no overhead expenses other than a pullup cord and a pocket full of rubber bands, so everything they take in is profit. Most of the packers in Florida recently increased their income by 20% when they raised their fee from $5 to $6. I think that if most of us with regular jobs went to the boss and requested a 20% raise, it would be met with some resistance. :S

Kevin

So what's the pay per year cutoff in tipping vs. non tipping professions?

A packer with no overhead can probably do as well or better than a doctor with massive student loans as overhead on a net per year basis (which is why I have to moonlight as a packer to afford to jump. And I like packing :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Tipping for good service is good... but where does it stop? I've been a doc for 6 years, my service is damn good... I make house calls and am on call 24/7. But I don't get tipped, no matter how far I go beyond the call of duty.

I'm a packer. Some people tip, some don't. I definitely appreciate the tips, and certainly wont' turn them down... I do my best on every pack job. However, the pay is pretty good even leaving tipping out of the equation. On a busy day, I'll make more packing than I do in a day as a doc!

I always tip my healthcare professionals with a thank you card, not cash. I have some friends that are MD's and asked for advice on how to show my appreciation and was told that the best show of appreciation to healthcare professionals is a sincere thank you card, so that is what I do. If I were to tip my doctor for the last surgery, 10% would be over $5,000 so he and his staff got a very sincere show of appreciation that was not monetary. Alternatively, the last time the AC man had to come fix our AC I made certain that he had plenty of beverages and lunch even though he makes a hell of a lot more than I do annually, and if I received a house call from my doctor I would do the same. I even tip my wife and family everyday by telling them how much I love and appreciate them in my life.

My rigger gets tipped very well anytime I have to use my reserve. The packers make the best money on the DZ (outside the DZO, that is if money is not being lost), I know packers that make quite a bit of cash annually but they have to work really hard for it, and I still tip them whenever I have to use them and if I get a tip after shooting a tandem video I always split it with the TI.

To me it is just the right thing to do.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

So what's the pay per year cutoff in tipping vs. non tipping professions?

I've tipped my eye doctor before. I got her a gift card to a local resteraunt. As a stockbroker I never received a monetary tip, but it did come back in the form of repeat business and referals.

As previously stated in last year's thread: "When is a waitress responsible for your life?" With that said, I've often tipped very well. (Especially at Hooters.) B|

i understand what your saying. i as well try to tip whenever possible or when i have a few extra bucks in my pocket. i'll mix it up with some dollars and beers. thanks for all your info

Try tipping the DZ staff with sex:)

R.I.P.

i understand what your saying. i as well try to tip whenever possible or when i have a few extra bucks in my pocket. i'll mix it up with some dollars and beers. thanks for all your info

Try tipping the DZ staff with sex:)

R.I.P.

Whenever I go to another DZ I always walk in manifest with a 12 pcak of green bottles for the manifest staff and verbaly thank them for doing the toughest job on the DZ. Strangely enough, get on any load I want and am treated like a VIP. A little appreciation goes a long way...

But they still woulden't have sex with me!

Whenever I go to another DZ I always walk in manifest with a 12 pcak of green bottles for the manifest staff and verbaly thank them for doing the toughest job on the DZ. Strangely enough, get on any load I want and am treated like a VIP. A little appreciation goes a long way...

You are a wonderful person.

I don't think anyone should get tipped, unless everyone gets a tip.

Where does it stop? What about the rigger who packs the reserves of the Tandems? What about manifest? Pilots? And on and on................
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Tip your packer

Here's another tip: Get a hair-cut and get a real job.

:P

Personally, I don't see the need to tip instructors, but if you're a one time jumper and want to, have at it. If you're a return student, although we usually don't start hittin' ya up for beer until graduation (refer to Beer Rules : Chapter 1):P, but if y'all want to bring DZ Beer, have at it! :)

This tipping shit just stresses me out!!!

I worry about who and when to tip, I don't want to hurt anyones feelings. Going through AFF and now further coaching to my A license, tipping every day or every jump is ridiculous.

I did write a nice letter to everyone at the DZ and named them speficly, some commented and liked it.

This sport isn't cheap ( nothing fun is) I asked in another thread somewhere about the beer thing. I really thought it was just a saying " for EVERY first bring a case" That's crazy!

I just took my packing class and the guy made a special effort to meet me after hours away from the DZ and he will get a tip.

I am planning on bringing several cases of beer with me this weekend to "make up" for all my training. I do feel however like it's expected and if I don't I will not be treated as nicely.

it's just like birthdays and xmas for me. I love buying gifts for those who are important to me and who deserve it. I do hate being forced to do it just because of the day, "it's my birthday bla bla bla. I find it much more rewarding when it's just wednesday not gift day.

WHEW, i'm done:P
I should have been a kickass drummer and a world famous first base man.

I'm starting my schooloing this weekend and wanted to know if i should tip my instructor or if its not necessary.

It depends a lot on the instructor. Newer instructors are generally easier to tip than more experienced ones; the experienced ones are half expecting it anyway and will wake up and/or startle when you try it. Sometimes, the instructor doesn't stay the night, which makes it a lot harder to tip them. In general, though, if you make sure to pour a beer or three into the instructor once the beer light comes on, he will be a lot easier to tip later on.
Once the instructor is asleep, be as quiet as you can, and try to sneak up from the back side and downwind of him. A quick, firm push at about chest level will usually do it.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

personally i think it sets a dangerous precedent in general. in the case of waitrons, tipping is an incentive to inspire people to give there best service. in the case of packers and instructors it is my opinion that they should always give the absolute best service that they can, regardless of if they expect a tip at the end or not.(peoples lives are at stake) i have a situation that i cant pack for myself so paying for packing is a must for me. even though i do tip(and generously) it would break my bank if it was a a set norm.

[all that is gold does not glitter
not all who wander are lost]
all that is gold does not glitter
not all those who wander
are lost!

I am planning on bringing several cases of beer with me this weekend to "make up" for all my training.

Where I come from, students dont buy beer.

When I got my A qualifications I brought a Keg, it was much cheaper that way and I drank my share of it anyway.

The nicest tips I have ever gotten that stand out in my memory more than anything were nice thank you letters. It touched me more on a personal level, it was very nice of them to take the time.
Mykel AFF-I10

keep it simple. Tipping is VOLUNTARY. Any person that EXPECTS to be tipped should never be tipped. It's that simple. It's not an entitlement.

Even having this thread is a bit of nonsense. The original poster can do whatever he wants with his money. The thrust of the thread is a question about what is the cultural 'norm'. I hope in terms of tipping there is never a 'norm' - and that employees in any industry that make what they think is "too little" start taking different jobs and affect the market that way. (i.e., I like Judy's comment)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I worry about who and when to tip, I don't want to hurt anyones feelings. Going through AFF and now further coaching to my A license, tipping every day or every jump is ridiculous.

I did write a nice letter to everyone at the DZ and named them speficly, some commented and liked it.

This sport isn't cheap ( nothing fun is) I asked in another thread somewhere about the beer thing. I really thought it was just a saying " for EVERY first bring a case" That's crazy!

I just took my packing class and the guy made a special effort to meet me after hours away from the DZ and he will get a tip.

I am planning on bringing several cases of beer with me this weekend to "make up" for all my training. I do feel however like it's expected and if I don't I will not be treated as nicely.

it's just like birthdays and xmas for me. I love buying gifts for those who are important to me and who deserve it. I do hate being forced to do it just because of the day, "it's my birthday bla bla bla. I find it much more rewarding when it's just wednesday not gift day.

WHEW, i'm done:P

Yes, generally speaking, students are exempt from Beer Rules until graduation, at which time, owe a CASE OF BEER!!!!... ;)... after that the "F's" and Beer Rules apply.

:)

Anyway, maybe we're all getting this wrong... maybe instructor tipping is something akin to cow tipping... where if you catch your instructor napping, you sneak up all quiet like and gently push them over... :P

I tipped my instructor because he was my best friend for 60 seconds, 6 times a day.... He was a great guy, pushed me past the "general" instruction guidlines, and made it fun. When I did my final 4 way, one of the other instructors commented, "This guy flys better than I did after 100 jumps." He didn't just teach me, he gave me confidence.

I burn $20 a day on crap, so converting that into a tip for him was a no brainer. Knowing that he went home with some extra cash was my way of letting him know that I cared, and I also wanted him to stick around so the next student could experience what I had. Money makes the World go around, so if you have a little extra, spend it on what matters.

Of course I also gave him MANY "Thank You's" each day... Those were cheap.

If I had an instructor I wasn't willing to tip, I would have asked for another one. A Tip wouldn't have even come into play.

Todd .... "Life, figure it out."