lisamariewillbe

Jumping through clouds

How can you fly through a rainbow. It has no physical form, its a trick of light. I suppose from someone elses perspective it may have looked like you did. Am I right on this or talking shit?

When you're above a cloud midday, that rainbow lasts till pretty near your contact. It's very pretty, and somewhat distracting, like a siren in the sky. The shadow, otoh, gets the attention real quick (I swore my buddy tracked the other way)

I don't think anyone else will see the same rainbow, it's all about relative position.

that's what the jumpmaster told us on a jump with a thick layer of clouds from 800ft to 1500ft. couldn't see the dz at all: "it's in the middle between these three mountains. [:/] when you hit the clouds (under canopy), just do left turns (no spiralling) and continue until you`re 200 ft under the clouds." it was quite a relief to see the runnway underneath me when i came out of the fog.. but a great experiemce, for sure. in eloy though, they went on stand by as soon as a cloud showed up anywhere in the sky.. so it looks like you all gotta come over to the old world if tou want to do some cloud dives B|

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

The key is to deny everything.

Be careful who you lie to. Lying to a Federal Agent can land you in jail for up to five years if they decide to pursue it (they rarely do). It's best just to keep your mouth shut.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

i went through a thick cloud only one time that i could think of. it moved right under me and it was right at my pull altitude. i was scared to track away from it in fear that i would track under someone (i've yet to not see someone who drifted under me so i wasn't worried about that). so i did all i could and pulled in the cloud and ended up going the wrong way for a while until i came out of the cloud. i made it back easily but it was kind of scary. i like going through the really thin clouds though that probably aren't even called clouds cause they give you such a sense of how fast you're falling. the one thing i love the most about skydive miami (whenever i'm down there) is their huge clouds. i've done quite a few jumps where the visuals were incredible because i was surrounded by huge clouds (i was not in them)

On several different occasions the FAA has imposed stiff fines on various DZs for violating cloud clearance requirments.

How could the FAA impose a fine on a DZ? They can take action against a pilot.

By enforcing Part 105

§ 105.3____ Definitions.

For the purposes of this part—

Parachute operation means the performance of all activity for the purpose of, or in support of, a parachute jump or a parachute drop. This parachute operation can involve, but is not limited to, the following persons: parachutist, parachutist in command and passenger in tandem parachute operations, drop zone or owner or operator, jump master, certificated parachute rigger, or pilot.

§ 105.17 Flight visibility and clearance from cloud requirements.

No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft—

(a) Into or through a cloud, or

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Has anyone actually ever been ticketed for it? Its been bugging me for hours and I shall not rest until I know :|

Punching clouds is fun. Went in at 6k on a jump. Came out at 2k. Accident waiting to happen of course, but it was fun. Glad no FAA around:)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

cloud kicks on your canopy are fun!!! especially large TQ´s. once i was test jumping a vx and there was a big cloud and it had kind of a tunnel through it so i hooked right through that bad boy and it felt amazing.

on the other hand freefall through a TQ is not so fun. my fiance went throug a cloud filming a tandem they entered the cloud at about 14000´and came out about 4000´ too bad for the tandem who opened inside. the welts on thier face from the hail were horrific.

but i have heard that the smallest cloud on the horizon in the us will warrent a weather hold???? this is fucking stupid, and a prime example of the beuocracy(dunno if that is how you spell it?:$) in the US.

ok clouds are dangerous when they create a layer or restrict the view to the dz but a small little puffy cloud. these americans are crazy:D:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

hey lisamariewillbe! i had the scary experience of flying through some clouds at Skydive San Diego once. It was very scary. I thought for sure i had drifted off course and was either going to get my legs sheared of by a plane or crash into someone. But I didnt know you could get a ticket for it. Who issues that kind of ticket? By the way, how are you doing?

bad???:S
I can only imagine how sweet it is...flying my wingsuit...seeing a big puffy...popping up to the top of it....rolling over on my side as I start to stall and fall into a head-down position to gain speed...accelerating throught edge of the cloud...slicing off the side of the cloud........
damn good thing we don't do that...we might actually like it!
:|

Damn that does sound sweet, can't wait till I can do that! not that i'm going to....:|

At Rantoul a couple years ago I took one of the FAA folks for an observer ride. We had been battling the cloud wars all week long, all the jump planes blatantly busting cloud clearance regs.
As we climbed at it got increasingly difficult to stay legal, I asked the fed straight out if the rumour was true that the FAA had granted the boogie a waiver on cloud clearances. The reply was, "I don't know anything about that myself, but I can ask."
We went through some fairly robust "industrial haze" going up and down ... half the load fell through clouds.
After landing she thanked me for the ride, but commented that she wished it had been a bit more exciting, "like you guys normally come down." I just shrugged.
Zing Lurks

Here in U.K everybody jumps in cloudy weather.
Sometimes there are holes through the clouds and sometimes not.

But the jumpmaster is typical with the exit separation, and nobody trucks, so the possibility for accident is nearly zero.

Also the cloud elevation must be at least 5000ft so everybody have clear view before pull at 2000-2500ft or 5000ft for AFF students and tandems.

Is not that dangerous plus is very funny!!

How can you fly through a rainbow. It has no physical form, its a trick of light. I suppose from someone elses perspective it may have looked like you did. Am I right on this or talking shit?

The circular 'rainbows' seen from above are actually called glories (pretentious name IMO:P) and are produced by a different mechanism than real rainbows you see from the ground. Sometimes in a very light cloud you can still see them even when you're just inside the cloud. I like them.

Side note - apparently they may also be the reason for the tradition of putting halos around saints and angels. Shepherd goes hill walking in the fog, sees his shadow below him with a glory round it and thinks he's had an encounter with the divine:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Try flying through a 2000 feet thick cloud with a highly loaded elliptical....

...once you are inside with no visual reference and start turning, you have now idea what's the level of the horizon, so you also have no idea when the canopys is flying straight and with that 2.4 wl your canopy doesn't stop turning by just letting the toggles up.. So the only position you can be sure of is the full spiral right or left...You just can't hold the canopy flying somewhere in the middle, and always end up spiralling...a couple of thousand feet, and you will feel dizzy...

Never gonna fly through a thick cloud with an open canopy again.

....You just can't hold the canopy flying somewhere in the middle, and always end up spiralling...a couple of thousand feet, and you will feel dizzy...

Yep. Been there with my 1.8 loaded katana. A bit scary...

....You just can't hold the canopy flying somewhere in the middle, and always end up spiralling...a couple of thousand feet, and you will feel dizzy...

Yep. Been there with my1.8 loaded katana. A bit scary...for me to be jumping it ever at such a low experience level, but hey I am good at this stuff

Fixed it for you.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Fixed it for you.

....you're welcome. Had to delete it. It seems you can't post something like that here at www.thetruth.com (sorry, nothing to do with the actual website) without having someone to comment it like that. Sorry, I just wanted to say it's tricky flying inside a cloud (it might be a plane too).

WOW. I'm surprised that that there are a lot of people who havn't been through industrial haze. I've been through quite a few and I only had a little over 500 jumps when I retired.

On one of my AFF jumps, I opened my canopy in some industrial haze and was in it for a while.

There were several other industrial haze jumps on days with spotty clouds where we simply punched through a some puffy whites somewhere in the middle of the skydive.

My favorite was climbing to altitude in a skyvan (maybe Casa) sitting right seat for the ride up. It was a hot summer day with many many thick clouds. I thought it was a little crazy as we were heading directly for a bunch of thick clouds. Especially, due to the local airline traffic. We were in them and then punched through to this unbelievable pathway surrouned on three sides (left, right, and bottom) leading upward in a gradual curve until we got above the clouds. The pilot looked over at me with his eyes wide open and screamed AWESOME!!!! It really was cool.

I guess the places that I jumped were on the edge.

Fixed it for you.

....you're welcome. Had to delete it. It seems you can't post something like that here at www.thetruth.com (sorry, nothing to do with the actual website) without having someone to comment it like that. Sorry, I just wanted to say it's tricky flying inside a cloud (it might be a plane too).

So, your deleting your post got you where? I am not trying to be an asshole, I am really wondering. What does deleting the post get you. I take it you have been down the road before where people say your going to die and jumping a wing like a Katana at 1.8 with 350 jumps is stupid?

Or is your profile just that out of date?

This isn't about the truth or anything like that. It was merely a sarcastic way of saying I think, and many other on here will think as well, that you are jumping a canopy that is well beyond what you have the skills to handle.

I guess that doesn't matter through right? Lets hear more about this and you?

I would love to know what reasons you have for feeling you are capable of handling a canopy like that. Most likely I can link you to a thread where someone else thought the exact same thing. (probally for most of the reasons) and died when they were in a tight situation.

I mean, I hope you do ok, I really do. I just get sick of hearing about it when someone dies under a very higher performance wing they shouldn't have been flying in the first place.

Thanks,
Stay safe,
Derrick
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

(Not just directed at you Lisa Marie.)

It is not unusual for pilots to be given block IFR altitudes instead of hard altitudes (say 13,000' to 4,000'). That means the area should be clear of IFR traffic from your top altitude to your bottom altitude.

Would you go through a cloud intentionally if skydiving planes and the skydivers were given IFR block altitudes and jumping through clouds were legal ?

If so, would you be comfortable with it?

Ed

>It is not unusual for pilots to be given block IFR altitudes instead of
> hard altitudes (say 13,000' to 4,000'). That means the area should
> be clear of IFR traffic from your top altitude to your bottom altitude.

Right - but not clear of VFR traffic, which is (usually) the problem.