lisamariewillbe

Jumping through clouds

bad???:S
I can only imagine how sweet it is...flying my wingsuit...seeing a big puffy...popping up to the top of it....rolling over on my side as I start to stall and fall into a head-down position to gain speed...accelerating throught edge of the cloud...slicing off the side of the cloud........
damn good thing we don't do that...we might actually like it!
:|

I've not heard of jumpers actually getting fined, but I have heard of jump operations being shut down for the day and pilots being scolded/fined.

I guess we're a bit harder to single out than the guy landing the plane. :)

I have entered my fair share of "industrial haze," though. Little scary at break off altitude...but it sure does cool you off on a hot day. :P

Bad skydiver, Bad!

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

I have a budy who found out I was going through the Aff Program and he wanted to show me his tandem tape, As I watched it the Skydiver and him went right through a bank of clouds. I looked at him and he had a smile on his face saying wasent that so cool. I said no that was so stupid. At the time I was only on my third Jump and I knew better then to do that. Well I guess you can say I will never go to that Drop Zone and I never have.

"Falling is the easy part, Landing smoothly is the most importent part!
-DJ Mike

On several different occasions the FAA has imposed stiff fines on various DZs for violating cloud clearance requirments.

Billvon could probably go into better detail on this subject.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

in this part of the world regulations for jumping through clouds are not as strong as in your country, in some countries there aren't even regulations

if you ever get your butt out of the states you might try and search for that perfect circular rainbow that appears just before entering this very thick layer of industrial haze B|
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

In Aus you can have a DZ cleared for jumping through cloud on a GPS spot.

In the UK, you can jump through as much cloud as you want, aslong as you have a clear line of sight from the intended opening point to the landing area... ie. theres a hole there when you get out.

But, at my old DZ we had a bad spot. Broken cloud over the DZ, but solid where we got out. Someone went in through a low turn ie, their own mistakes, as well as reserve being out of date (nothing to do with his death). The jump master got a severe bollocking aswell as prevented from being a JM for 6 months.

Shows what blame culture can do to you.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Has anyone actually ever been ticketed for it? Its been bugging me for hours and I shall not rest until I know :|

Yes. It is rare, but it does happen. In fact, when I was took my rigging course the FAA was on hand and told us they had fined a DZ and several jumpers for a cloud bust just a few days earlier. I've heard of several cases since then.

The FAA will always respond to a complaint, so an informed neighbor who hates skydiving can really make a stink by video taping cloud busts. Likewise, when a drop zone is on an airport with other pilots who don't like the operation, they can report the violation. When a violation is reported, the FAA is required to investigate. Often it is tough for the FAA to determine who was involved in a specific cloud bust, so the violation notice can only be given to the drop zone. That's also rare, but pilots and drop zones are at greater risk of receiving a violation notice.

It's important to note that the FAA is not watching every jump, and they don't go out looking for cloud busts on their own. They really rely on us to self regulate and only dig for problems when somebody complains.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at http://theblueskyranch.com/STA.php and read article 13, "FAA Regulations Applied" and article 19 "Jumping Near Cloouds."
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

holy shit...are you guys serious? going through clouds kicks fucking arse! apart from the fat rain clouds that hurt your face.

if i could jump through clouds on every jump i would....
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

A friend of mine when he was stationed in Hawaii got ticketed (the whole load he said).

He finally won his case in court but it cost him around $15,000.

Before you say "pay the fine" and move on, apparently it is more than just a fine that hurts you.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

if you ever get your butt out of the states you might try and search for that perfect circular rainbow that appears just before entering this very thick layer of industrial haze B|

and you forgot to add that shadow of yours that you can see growing right in the center of the circle :)
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

and you forgot to add that shadow of yours that you can see growing right in the center of the circle :)

shhhhhh hush! i wanted her to find that out herself :)
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Well I know its bad... and un-safe, I had just heard you get a 500.00 ticket and wanted to see if that has happened to jumpers who survive the clouds

They tried to give me a ticket once but they couldn't find me in the cloud and when we got on the ground there was another jumper that looked just like me(this was at halloween) and they could not prove it was me.:D

Check this out! I had, on one occasion, an FAA person tell me, to my face, that we could jump thru a cloud! For real!

I was working on a TV show as ground control. Time was of the essense. We were in class D airspace. He had contact with the tower and all other air ops had been halted, I had contact with the spotter on the load and ground (rescue) personnel. There was to be one tandem and one cameraman jumping.

I was told, cloud or no cloud, when they were over the DZ, they could jump. Blew my socks off!!! I had to grab his arm, look him straight in the eye, and ask him if he just said what I thought he said. He was really cool... just smiled and said, "Yup."

Now the really rad thing about this was that when they got over the DZ, there just HAPPENED to be this 10,000 foot towering cumulous right over us, with a big, blue hole right next to it.

Needless to say..... the visuals on THAT VIDEO were RAD! And the tandem master has those memories embedded in his head forever!

(I don't think the tandem student even noticed..... :-)

GOOD FUN!
“Sometimes you just have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down.”
~ Kobi Yamada

in this part of the world regulations for jumping through clouds are not as strong as in your country, in some countries there aren't even regulations

I went through the end of the rainbow on my fifth jump. Flew my canopy through a cloud as well. Interesting feeling. Didn't realize back then how dangerous it was. I'd like to it again, but when nobody else was in the air.
This ad space for sale.

I like playing around clouds, but not through them. It's fun to be under canopy, and get the thermals. But going through them.... not the smartest thing in the world. I know I had 1 jump which was probably one of the scariest of being in the middle of layers of clouds, and we didn't come out of the clouds until about 1800 feet. I won't go through thick clouds anymore. That was really bad.

CReW SKies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM