ryan188

anyone here from massachusetts????

i was wondering if any one on here is from massachusetts, im trying to get some people together to jump on september 18,i think the more people to go up , the merrier!!, and i would ilke to become friends with some people in the sport, every one i know thinks im crazy for having an interest in skydiving!.

I'm from RI. I'm down at Jumptown in Orange every weekend. Which DZ are you going to?

currently im going to skydive new england up in maine, i have only been there once, and im going again on the 18, how is jumptown, i want to try to go out there some time soon. isnt it expensive??

I have been to Jump Town three times now, but this monday (open because it was a holiday) I finally got to jump from their Otter.

It is an awesome drop zone. Diane and Shiella do an awesome job running manifest, and they are extremely friendly!!!

The facilities are absolutely amazing, and the landing area is to die for!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Jumptown is AMAZING. The people are awesome, the airplane is one of the best (if not THE best) maintained jump plane in the states, and it's just a great atmosphere. Everyone welcomes you with open arms, and the night time events are always a blast!

Doug, I met you man! You had the red and blue Icon with the UCONN logo on the side, right? I was the small guy that you were talking to in manifest.

This is not about Jumptown at all but your comments reminded me of something that has been bothering me for a while... Everyone says their DZ's airplane is the best maintained, but the question is how much do you know about airplane maintence and would you really know the difference between a well maintained vs a poorly maintained. Have you ever been onsite and watched them do an inspection? Have you looked at the inspection logs? Do they have the onsite repair facilities and tools to fix their aircraft or is it all done off airport?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

the airplane is one of the best (if not THE best) maintained jump plane in the states.

I know nothing about airplane maintenance. But I have no reason to back up my comments because they came from a reliable source(s).

So which is it?

Foggy

Just walk up to mainfest and ask to see them. You can even speak with the pilot - which I have on a number of occassions actually. I had a good conversation with him after Gus Wings accident in Deland - good to get a pilots perspective.

JTown does a good job with everything - if you ever have questions regarding ANYTHING they do you just have to ask and you will be given anything and everything you need. I've never been to a DZ that was so accomodating to ... well, everything and everyone.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Magicguy is right- Jumptown is proud to have a good airplane and pilot. He might not know the "why" but the vibe there is all about safety and it is talked about on a regular basis.
The airplane is well maintained. It spent the first 35 years of it's life being meticulously maintained by the Norwegian Airforce. It came to the state about 4 years ago and had an extensive inspection to receive its C of A.
It is one of the few jump Twin Otters to have less than 20,000 hours on the airframe (around 16,500?) and even though it has -20 engines they are well below TBO and had HSI within the last 1000 hours. It is not shipped to a corrosive envirement to try and make a few measly dollars in the winter- it stays home and only flies on nice weekends. The owner is an A&P and has owned and operated Twin Otters for 20 years. The owner and one of his pilots also have attended a maintainance course at Pratt and Whitney in Canada to better understand the engines. Every bit of knowledge helps.

Flying this great plane is a pilot with over 11,000 hours that has been flying jumpers (for the same club) for almost 20 years. HE is a very active flight instructor during the week and a no nonsense guy. Things you WILL NOT see at JT are buzz jobs, low passes, racing the tandems down, rolling over for that "great exit shot". The airplane is there to provide a stable, safe platform for skydivers... nothing more. It is not a "ride" at a carnival. The pilots that fly the Otter at JT all attend a 3 day ground school each year- followed by a proficiency check in the air and single engine and emergency procedures practice.

JT also sports a brand new, state of the art fuel farm that is sampled and maintained on a regular basis.

All of these things add up to reducing the risks in this sport. IS it enough... who knows but it is better to start off with the odds on your side.

So- Magicguy should feel pretty good about where he jumps. I'm glad that the "new kids" are learning some things are more important than being "cool and groovy"
"If you're not on the centerline -you're out of control"

Hey Corey, yeah I remember meeting you. The rest of the Uconn crew is going to be up there on Sunday. I was going to head up for the whole weekend but I think I am going to be jumping on saturday @ Danielson, and sitting down for some instructions with our Jump Pilot to get signed off for my A. B|

Are you any closer to that A license?

Jump town is supposed to have night jumps on friday right?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Well I'm one jump closer anyways lol. This weekend is looking like bad weather once again - I might try to get out of work early tomorrow because it's like like lots of blue skies.

Good luck with your A License, I'll be there all weekend so I'll cya Sunday!

Oh yeah, they are doing night jumps tomorrow.