Evelyn

Do you worry about how you'd react to a malfunction?

I've spent the last 17 years in the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps. In the millitary we teach drills. Drills will "enforce an automatic reaction to a familliar order under stress". This basically means that, provided you continue to practice, when the time comes, you will react appropriately, without having to stop and think about it.

I use to worry how I would react to my first mal. Had one last Friday and when I reached my hard deck what you stated basically took over. I just remember looking at my Alti and when I was right at the HD, instinct took over. Really weird, but in a good way.

I had the same fear as to how I would react. When the time came I was suprised how calm I was. I did what i had to do. You will too.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

First:
Practice the physical behavior that saves your life, over and over again so that it enters your "working memory".

Second:
Stay as calm as you can. Panic will break off your accss to your neo-cortical functionality that will save your life. Stay calm and you will know what to do.

These are the only actions that can increase the chances of makeing the correct decisions.

For more on performance in high stress situations, read: The Parachute and its Pilot. I think you'll love it.
+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

I've never had a reserve ride either.Hoping to make it to 2,000 without one. ;)

That's pretty cool dude...seriously. Not that I know what I'm talking about, but; it seems to me, that luck only plays so much of a part in making it to 1,400 with no malfunctions, and after a while, you just have to say...that dude is one safe jumper. Rock on man. B|

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. Part of my safety habits come from the US Army Airborne and Jumpmaster schools, the other part comes from observing and listeneing to those who came before me... One of most important lessons I learned was in packing.... Line order, line tension, inspect your gear at the end of each weekend, rather than the recommended monthly.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.