d123

Lost arch

Hi,
Let me start with a small introduction. I am a humble student who finds himself in a very unpleasant and shameful situation: I've lost my arch. During my last AFF (level 6) I was stable, I was able to do all the rotations required and when for a couple of few sec during my pull practice I've got a small spin and a bumpy ride I've just let go of any air resistance resistance from my side against the air flow and I've relaxed and got stable pretty fast and lost the lazy spin (the Jump Master didn't have to help me in any way). I haven't see any line-twist since my AFF1. After my level 6 I really felt ready for my 1st solo. On my first solo everything got screwed up. I've exit unstable I've begin to arch and got really fast into belly to earth position. We jump from 11.500 feet and I was pretty stable in the 1st 10 sec. I've checked the altitude it was around 10.000 feet and I've noticed that I have a lazy spin to the left. I've started a rotation to right in order to stop the spin but .... instead of balancing the spin and get neutral I've begin to experience a bumpy ride and the left spin got bigger. I've did the exact same thing as on level 6 (from what I've felt) let go of any resistance against the air and try to relax but the spin to the left got bigger and bigger. I said to myself that I have to do something to reset my position and I've did a back flip. It worked like a reset but I still had a small rotation that once again begin to increase in angular speed. I did another back flip and I've ended on my back. This was around 7000 feet. While on the back I wondering if I can reach the handle and I start a pull practice while being on the back. Strange thing I couldn't find the handle (maybe the wind flow move the container a bit upper). I've just get back on the belly check the altitude and open the parachute around 5200 feet (no line twist don't ask me how). All the time I had the bumpy ride feeling and I was not able to do anything to get stable. For me it felt like I was doing the same things: I had the same feeling of my hands and feet when trying to relax as on level 6 but it was not working this time.

More info regarding my solo jump:
- I had a small back pain when I've practice arching on the ground (but I had it even on level 6).
- I've changed the gear from 300 sq ft to 230 sq ft and I felt the container to be so much lighter.
- During the ascent I had some problems with blood circulation in my legs.
- I've change the jump suit to a solo jump suit that was just right for me (on level 6 I had one a bit bigger one - maybe more drag).
- During the ascent of the plane I was confident (never been that before) - maybe a bit cocky (not that much, just yelling and talking with other jumpers like I was not worried about the jump). Also I haven't done any visualization practice during my ascent.

I'm waiting for any kind of input (negative or positive) from you guys regarding my lost arch problem. If you feel that you had an experience somehow similar with this I would love to hear your story. I really, really feel bad about this. Should I ask again for 2 jumps with a instructor so I could get some input about what I'm doing wrong? Should I try to practise my arch more on the ground but the thing is when I practise my arch on the ground all my muscles are not relaxed.

I'm not an instructor, and certainly your best advice is going to come from talking with your instructors.

But... I did have a tough time in my student progression. I would have some thing "dialed in" on one jump, and two jumps later it was like I'd never learned it. This can be a sport of "one step forward, two steps back."

Let's focus on the positives of your jump: you were altitude aware. You pulled, you pulled on time, and you pulled stable. You landed safely. You're here to tell the story. ALL of those are very important things that you did right.

Remember ... you have less than 10 skydives under your belt. This is still a strange and bizarre thing to get used to.

If going up with an instructor again would help you get comfortable again, there's absolutely no shame in that. And if visualization worked for you during AFF, get back to it. I still do it on most jumps, and I know there's world-class skydivers who do it. It helps anyone, regardless of skill level and experience, get "in the zone" and prepare for the skydive.

Of all the things you talked about, one that might have contributed to things feeling "different" was the new rig. A rig with a 300 in it is going to be significantly larger than one with a 230 in it, and it is going to fit you differently and the handles are going to be in slightly different places. If you're not relaxed (which it sounds like you weren't) it may seem like those handles aren't there. They are, of course, but you're not relaxed so you're fumbling more than you might if you were calm and relaxed. ONe thing that might help is putting the rig on on the ground, lying down on the ground or on a creeper and doing practice touches. Get used to how that rig fits you and get some muscle memory around where everything is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

first thing you need to do, RELAX, i have had similar things happen with spinning and such, . Just relax. that iwll help. I don't want to say too much, because you have so little jumps, and would be best to talk to your instructors. good luck.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

What i found very useful was just having fun on your solo jumps. Go out, get completely unstable, arch and stabalize. Just keep doing that until you can become stable without much thought. (ALTIMETER ALTIMETER ALTIMETER). You'll also find ways to become unstable in the process (more proactive than a result) and thus learn what not to do.

Did you pay attention to your legs as well as position of arms when you tried to fix the spin?
Just a thought.
I've got a recurring problem with my legs (always too wide) which I still have troubles with now, I have to consciously think about them on every single jump and click my heels together.

First I would like to thank you all for all the replies. I was thinking that it might be my legs or my shoulders because it all started after I've looked at the altimeter. What I'm planning to do is just have another solo with my old gear (that heavy 300 sq ft) and my old routine (visualization and not being so confident - that's an easy one now) and if I can't get my arch back I shall go back to level 5. I really feel that I've let my instructors down. I am looking for ways to practice my arch on ground but whenever I'm doing that I notice that all my leg muscles are flexed. Do you guys have other alternate methods for arch practice that are close to the real free fall? My last jump was a big disappointment for me. I've lost something (magic dust maybe) and I can't fly anymore. This really sucks. Again thank you all for all the kind advices.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Well, only have just passed you stage I dont know if I am in the best position to give advice, but maybe it will help none the less.

When I started soloing I found that a few times I wasnt super stable, all I did (and this has already been stated in this thread) is relax. It kind of sounds like you are over thinking things. You have had the arch before so you know what it feels like and just take a deep breath, relax those muscles and I would be willing to bet it will come back.

Once again, only 18 jumps here so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Okay, first the main thing - ask your instructor! They're the pros, and always happy to help.

I had a really similar problem (lost arch), which led to me having to re-take my AFF level 6 twice. After studying the video after the first attempt, my instructor showed me how my legs were hooked right up, causing me to flip all over the place. Eventually pulled on my back (nice to know it worked for me, but believe me, it's not comfortable!).

After the second attempt, we did STACKS of arching practice on trolleys, and a couple of things that she said just clicked. Went on to do a great 6 and 7, and loved all the consols too, and now sent off all the papers for my A licence!

Main lessons I got out of it - never give up, and always listen to your instructors. Then the relaxing will just happen, and you'll begin to love this awesome sport!

Got tunnel? Just a few minutes in the tunnel can give you a huge increase in your stability in the sky, and you don't have to concentrate on saving your life...
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

Yes I'm planning in adding the instructor in the loop off course. It was never my intention to keep them away from the problem. I just wanted to see if anyone out there had a similar problem and if anyone knows a GOOD way (close to real free fall muscle feeling) to practice the arch while being on the ground. I've read some other threads from DZ.com about bad arch's and peoples are suggesting to use a gym ball (the BIG one) and just laying with the back on it or using the water from pool in the same way we use the air while free falling and practice the arch in a water pool. I got this lazy boy that when fully extended if you just rotate yourself with 180 degree and have your legs where your back use to be it feels like a good arch. For the legs is good because the muscles are not used to maintain that position (they are supported by the chair) so they are relaxed but for the hands is not that great since when I'm arching the upper body muscles are contracted and not relaxed. And unfortunately no wind tunnel in here :(. One of the problem is while I'm practicing the arch I don't know if it's really going to help me because it really feels different up there :(. I really hope that after the next jump I'll be able to tell you all that I got it back and I don't know how could I've lost it (duhhh) but for now I'm still in the fog (metaphoric speaking off course) and when you are in fog you see fog and only fog all around you :(

Thanks guys for all the answers and advices. They are all appreciated.

I had issues with my arch and legs during AFF as well. I would practice on the ground, but lifting my legs and chest off the creeper didn't feel the same as the pressure from the air during freefall. My instructor had me lay on the floor on my stomach in front of a couch. I had my feet resting up on the couch and my hands on a couple of the couch cushions. I would then put just a little pressure on my feet and hands to get into a good arch (knees and chest lifted off the ground just a bit, belly relaxed on the floor). I would hold this for a little while and then relax. I would repeat it and each time I would hold it for a little longer. I developed the muscle memory of how much pressure I should feel during freefall on my feet/legs and arms for a good arch. It worked wonders for me.

A second thing that worked for me and I use with my students. Take a nice deep breath and exhale just before you leave the plane. Holding your breath makes you tense and your arch gets stiff. You can't sense the pressure on your arms/legs like you should to maintain stability. Lastly, leave the plane with a big smile on your face. It's a lot easier to have fun in the air if you are all ready smiling.:)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Hi again,
I've just arrived from the dropzone and (drum drum drum) It's back. My ARCH is back. I want to than you all for all the good advices and for being there for me in the moment of need. I've did lots and lots of arch practising with stacks of pillows so I could have a position close to the position in the air. I can't tell for sure what I've did to get it back but I've got it and I've got an amazing jump just few hours ago. I've exit like IAD hanging with my right hand and looking at a tandem instructor and student preparing for exit (out of a Cessna 182) I've let got of the wing bar and bring my feet in front of me while holding my knee with my hands (like a sphere position). Did some fast uncontrollable rotations while in that position for like 3-4 sec and then I've begin to arch and went stable like snow flake. I did some pull practice, some 360 rotations (left and right) and I've tried to track from 6000 to 5000 (not sure how good it was that tracking thingy). During my free-fall I did a heel clicky and hold my heels together for 3 sec and I was still stable. I've pulled a bit lower than 5000 maybe 4800 and I've guessed wrong the wind direction, did the inverse U patten, landing with the wind in the back and went straight in to the trees :). Nothing broken not even my pride (because I got my arch back). Boy it's good to be back on the track. I can't wait for my next jump.

I really appreciate all the input and help that I got from you guys and believe me when I say for me it was a real pleasure (yes it was - I've got my arch back or I've got my back arched).

Sign,
A stable jumper.

P.S. I hope I'm not gone lose it again:) (the arch that is).