The111

Sinuses... not sure what I did

First let me preface this by saying that I am going to my doctor tomorrow. But I'm curious what anyone else thinks of this based on their experiences with anything similar.

I've always read about sinus problems and freefall being a bad mix. Whenever I've had problems clearing my ears on a jump, I've sat out for the rest of the day.

Today I had a sinus problem that had nothing to do with my ears at all, both were completely clear the whole time. And there were no sinus problems before the jump, I am healthy. But under canopy I noticed an intense pressure in my forehead, right above my eyes (I know there are sinus cavities here). Right after landing, I heard some air moving through my sinuses and out of my nose, and after that I cleared my throat (sinuses) and spit, and some blood came out. I was also able to blow a little blood out of my nose, but most came from my throat. Three hours after the jump, my head does not hurt now, and nothing feels damaged or under pressure, but there is still a little blood coming out if I spit.

Again, I am seeing a medical professional tomorrow, but I am curious, for those of you who have had sinus problems (rupture, explosions, or whatever this may be), assuming that this was something bad, how long have you had to wait before you can be back in the air again? Days? Weeks? Months?

We'll see what the doc says tomorrow.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've had something similar happen before while in flight. I landed with a splattering of blood across my face. It's from not equalizing adequately during the descent. You probably popped a few blood vessels but the blood should stop in a day or two. Save the trip to the dr. unless of course you are in pain or its not getting better. I'd give it a day or two and wait and see if it clears up.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I know about nose bleeds/ blood in spit all too well. Been suffering with sinus since I was a kid and when it gets bad I will often cough up blood or my nose will bleed.

The bleeding is either caused by a drop in blood pressure or a burst blood vessel. At night your blood pressure drops and I occasionally will wake up with blood in the system. Never painful or anything but still not fun.

It will be interesting to know what your doc says. So far mine haven't come up with a remedy except telling me to eat more salt and occasionally putting me on anti-biotics.

Doesn't stop me jumping though.

I have been in and out of the doctors office for sinus issues my entire life. Two years ago I made a skydive with a sinus infection thinking nothing of it...worst idea ever!! The pain was so intense that I don't remember deploying my main or landing my canopy. When I came to my senses I was on the ground in a daze with blood covering my face. Thankfully I some how managed to land on the dz without injuring myself or anyone else in the process. Since then I am much more cautious when it comes to jumping with a stuffy nose. I have found that using a medicated sinus spray (flonase) when I feel sinus pressure in the morning will do the trick... most of the time. However I would not advise any jumper to get on the plane unless they can successfully clear both ears without holding their nose and they can easily inhale through both nostrils. Another thing I would recommend is popping your ears a few times during freefall, especially when falling through 6k and again during deployment. Sinus problems definitely are a bummer, but they can be overcome.