40yrvirgin

"That Guy" at the DZ

I know every DZ probably has one of these guys... But we're just wondering if anyone has some good ideas as to how you can get rid of "THAT GUY" at the DZ??? You know the one who lies about his skydiving accomplishments, the one who talks peoples ears off about the dumbest sh*t no one wants to hear about, the guy whos dangerous in the air and has had a couple close calls he WILL NOT admit to, the guy who will do and say anything to try and make himself feel wanted, and of course the guy who virtually NEVER leaves!!! PLEASE HELP US GET RID OF "THAT GUY!!!" Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
DUiTCHBAG "Just put it in my mouth!!!"

If he's as dangerous as he sounds, the DZO and/or S&TA should be the one's straightening him out. If a lengthy sit-down with management doesn't help him change his ways, they can help him clear out his locker.

Shit-talkers are one thing, but not learning from their mistakes and putting themselves and others in danger is completely another, IMO.

Maybe the whole DZ could throw him a "going away" party complete with party hats, cake, & parting gifts (bowling shoes, golf balls, etc.). Maybe he will get the hint? Save the keg for after he leaves! :D

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

If he's as dangerous as he sounds, the DZO and/or S&TA should be the one's straightening him out. If a lengthy sit-down with management doesn't help him change his ways, they can help him clear out his locker.

Shit-talkers are one thing, but not learning from their mistakes and putting themselves and others in danger is completely another, IMO.

Maybe the whole DZ could throw him a "going away" party complete with party hats, cake, & parting gifts (bowling shoes, golf balls, etc.). Maybe he will get the hint? Save the keg for after he leaves! :D

Dont tell on him. That sounds very childish. At the Ranch those guys just cant survive. Everyone will just call him out on his shit and he will be a big favorite in the death pool. You must be in a very timidity DZ. Start growing balls at tell the guy off.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

If he really is that bad the DZO probably already knows about it. He/she should get rid of him in that case. I have had to do this many times and will have to many more I am sure. It's never fun or comfortable, after all, we all just want to get along right? :P

All you can do is call the guy out every time it happens and warn newbies to stay away. Sometimes it takes care of itself.

http://www.skydiveatlanta.com
http://www.musiccityskydiving.com

If he really is that bad the DZO probably already knows about it. He/she should get rid of him in that case. I have had to do this many times and will have to many more I am sure. It's never fun or comfortable, after all, we all just want to get along right? :P

All you can do is call the guy out every time it happens and warn newbies to stay away. Sometimes it takes care of itself.

It almost sounds like what I said?
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

Yes we have one at our DZ.
He usually acts up when he has an audience. Take away the audience and he can carry on a decent conversation one on one. People stopped jumping with him and were warning others of his behavior. Pretty soon he figured out that he was not impressing anybody and started to turn over a new leaf. I in all honesty gave up on the guy after a near miss with him. A few people with the patience of a saint have pointed him in the right direction and his behavior and actions are slowly improving. It might not hurt to try and isolate him and see if someone can talk some sense and social skills into this individual. If he acts up, don't even respond (good or bad) he is just looking for a reaction, Just turn your back and walk away. If enough people do this to him, he will get the idea. If he does act appropriately do talk to him. Just as we get this guy turned around, now we have another one to deal with at the DZ.:S

40yrvirgin
Personal Information
Nick Name: BEATNIK
City: Steinbach
Interests: Lying about my skydiving history, Pissing off everyone at the DZ, Bragging about shitty new (personal) and old skydiving gear, and being incapable of flying a 170 sabre... Amoung other things
Email: No email entered.
Jump Profile
Home DZ: NOBODY WANTS ME
License: B 5496
License Org: NONE
Photographer: Yes
Gear
Container: Racer 2K3
Main Canopy: Safire 2 189 ft² (1.14 lbs/ft²)
Reserve Canopy: No reserve entered.
AAD: No AAD entered.
Forum Activity
Last Logon: Sep 18, 2006, 6:22 PM
Local Time: Sep 18, 2006, 9:36 PM

it is called "life." That guy is not just at the DZ. At the dz I have been around "that guy" and try to make it a point to specifically tell students to ignore him, except as a source of amusement. Students and novices need to be reminded occasionally who they should and should not listen to. Eventually everyone knows he's full of it anyway, and he can be fun to watch, and a useful instructional "how-not-to" example.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Oh yeah, I remember we had one like that at my old home DZ years ago. Bragging about this and that, but couldn't skydive worth a shit. He didn't stay around long though. He got the idea nobody liked him and disappeared.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Actually, the opposite reaction seemed to work at our club.

We started to listen to him and encourage him to talk. Then we would call him on stuff and ask him to explain the shit he had concocted.
Eventually he needs to make up believable stories and that is not really fun.
But seriously, by not ignoring him and then asking him to explain everything sort of worked, and got him to research things, making him a better skydiver.

Funny how he has changed and become a bit quiet.
When he get's called on something totally unbelievable in front of a crowd, it is embarassing.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Yeah, most have a "That Guy".

You can egg them on...get them going to see how far out there they can get before that get that "I'm in over my head" look on their face.

One easy technique is the "1-up" game. Whatever they come up with you 1-up them and then throw out a leading question...you can really get them saying some wild-ass crap.

For habitual liars, you can "Beat the Lie". Remind them of a story they told and get them to repeat it for your buddy. The play is, you make up the story and assure them that they did tell you that a few weeks ago.

Good opp to screw with their mind...if you're inclined to do such things.

:D:S:D:S
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I know every DZ probably has one of these guys... But we're just wondering if anyone has some good ideas as to how you can get rid of "THAT GUY" at the DZ??? You know the one who lies about his skydiving accomplishments, the one who talks peoples ears off about the dumbest sh*t no one wants to hear about, the guy whos dangerous in the air and has had a couple close calls he WILL NOT admit to, the guy who will do and say anything to try and make himself feel wanted, and of course the guy who virtually NEVER leaves!!! PLEASE HELP US GET RID OF "THAT GUY!!!" Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ok, A little revision... The DZO is so short staffed, and this guy is basically the DZ B*ITCH, therefor he simply puts up with "that guys" shit. Its just about all the jumpers at the DZ who want "that guy" outta there! Now, our DZ is rather small and no one likes humiliating "that guy" to the point of him leaving(with the exception of a couple of people here,) so we need a combination of indirect and direct things to do to "that guy" inorder to try get rid of him!! THanks again for you suggerstions.
DUiTCHBAG "Just put it in my mouth!!!"

uuuuh how about ignore him and live & let live? It's not like there's a huge number of dropzones local to most folks out there, and if they're all run like social clubs or sororities then everyone pays in the form of higher jump prices, right?

there are people at my work, in my social circles, and involved in other things i do that i dont particularly care for but hey, i'm sure some of them don't care for me either :ph34r:

aint that life
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Actually, the opposite reaction seemed to work at our club.

We started to listen to him and encourage him to talk. Then we would call him on stuff and ask him to explain the shit he had concocted.
Eventually he needs to make up believable stories and that is not really fun.
But seriously, by not ignoring him and then asking him to explain everything sort of worked, and got him to research things, making him a better skydiver.

Funny how he has changed and become a bit quiet.
When he get's called on something totally unbelievable in front of a crowd, it is embarassing.

I like that. If the guy is unsafe, ignoring him may just be negligent. Taking a proactive stance like Beverly suggests can have some serious and quick behavior mod effects.

Back when Chris Martin was alive and I was just through AFF, there was one of these guys there at Tullahoma. Constantly running his mouth and actually affecting business. A couple of low pulls was all it took for Chris to ground him. He never came back.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...