chris_uk

(Student post) 3rd Jump: Ying and Yang - My lesson!

Hi all. I had my 3rd jump today; it was my first "dp".
YING:
The load was 1 experienced jumper and 3 students, plus jm. The plan was to cut, have the experienced jumper go, then me on the same cut. Went well except the pilot fired up the engines as I was heading to the door. I knew the window was closing as the pilot cut again, so rushed my exit. I did not push off hard enough and was thrown into a violent spin as my container hit the floor. I tried to get the dp handle, but decided to control my spinning instead as I had at least 15 line twists to deal with, I figured I'd rather make it back alive and repeat the jump.
YANG:
The radio controller decided I could guide myself down from 1k. I was unsure if he was going to guide me down - so decided he was not. I went to flare a little too high, stopped and flared again. I got on the ground feeling really pissed off at my poor exit, but happy at guiding myself down and landing solo.
THE LESSON:
Despite being really confused, you gotta be positive at the door - despite what is going on. (Even a near miss with another plane on my last jump - Not another DZ plane, but a unknown plane!!)
A QUESTION:
As I was confused and hurried, should I have asked that the pilot go round for another pass, rather than rush the exit? Is there anything else I could have done?

Blue Skies.
Chris

A QUESTION:
As I was confused and hurried, should I have asked that the pilot go round for another pass, rather than rush the exit? Is there anything else I could have done?

What did your instructor say when you debriefed the jump?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A QUESTION:

What did your instructor say when you debriefed the jump?

Is that what instructors are for?

To instruct?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

To be honest, it was all focused on the exit rather than what happened before it. I said I was confused - go or stay - but this was not discussed.

Chris

Why not?

You have a question about the jump.

Get an answer.

I'm not blaming the instructor for not answering a question, especially since I'm not sure it was asked. As a student it is your job to learn; that includes asking questions and seeking information, not sitting there like a sponge and expecting your instructor to read your mind.

You were unclear on whther to go or not; if that was not obvious to your instructor he can't address it.

No one here can answer your question, we weren't there. Talk it over with those who were.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Is that what instructors are for?

To instruct?

Let's see ... from what I remember from mine they are around to:

...be complete smartasses
...encourage
...occasionally inspire
...be amazingly patient with a problem student
...bite their tongue when they want to give the bowling speech to me because I so clearly wanted to get past the frustrating bits and skydive
...turn off the smartass when I just needed to vent or cry or express frustration
... joke when I got my A license that they never thought they'd see the day (but also have a really tough time hiding their pride)
...jump with me 100 and 200 jumps later and remark "you've turned into a pretty good flyer, haven't you?"
...spend hours with me on weather holds reviewing the "book stuff."

I suppose somewhere in there they found the time to instruct, too.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Why not?

You have a question about the jump.

Get an answer.

I'm not blaming the instructor for not answering a question, especially since I'm not sure it was asked. As a student it is your job to learn; that includes asking questions and seeking information, not sitting there like a sponge and expecting your instructor to read your mind.

You were unclear on whther to go or not; if that was not obvious to your instructor he can't address it.

No one here can answer your question, we weren't there. Talk it over with those who were.

I think the tone above it a little harsh, mate.

During debrief - I made clear I was confused by the pilot's actions, and was told that I had to make my own desicions up there - Which is fair. I saw no point in saying "what if..." - I knew the answer.

Did u read this bit:
THE LESSON:
Despite being really confused, you gotta be positive at the door - despite what is going on.

This is what I got from what happened. I generally wondered what more experienced people would have done.

Thanks anyway.

Edited - I wish I could spell! ;)

Let's see ... from what I remember from mine they are around to:

...be complete smartasses
...encourage
...occasionally inspire
...be amazingly patient with a problem student
...bite their tongue when they want to give the bowling speech to me because I so clearly wanted to get past the frustrating bits and skydive
...turn off the smartass when I just needed to vent or cry or express frustration
... joke when I got my A license that they never thought they'd see the day (but also have a really tough time hiding their pride)
...jump with me 100 and 200 jumps later and remark "you've turned into a pretty good flyer, haven't you?"
...spend hours with me on weather holds reviewing the "book stuff."

I suppose somewhere in there they found the time to instruct, too.:D

Smart ass instructors? Never heard of such a thing...

KC, that was a great post, you so eloquently sated the essence of the good stuff that happens between the dives. You just might be a really great instructor yourself one day... Geez, I hope to get there myself one day.

Mykel

Some day... I don't feel like I have the in-air skills yet and I haven't been able to stay current enough this year to really improve them as much as I would like.

So... I pay it forward in little ways and some day, I fully expect to join the "official" instructor ranks.