ripper0289

The shakes

It's been so long since I've gone skydiving, every time I even think about it, all I can see is myself getting hurt or worse. I suppose it doesn't help that much that my family has had quite a few deaths recently, natural causes, illness, etc.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm worried that I'll never get the nerve to take the plunge again.
I still have all my stuff, what little of it there was. Helmet, alti, good gloves, log book.

I really miss my friends who probably don't even remember what I look like anymore. I still wear my closing pin necklace every so often, and I still want to call myself a skydiver, I just can't get over the fear.

[:/]

Get thee to the dropzone. Bring your stuff.

But don't plan on jumping. Hang out, talk to people, watch loads land, maybe go for an observer ride. If you decide while you're there that you're ready to jump, then go jump. If you don't, no worries, you've still had a good day hanging out with good people.

Repeat the above until you either a) jump or b) decide that you're not going to jump ever again.

Well, you won't get over the fear if you stay at home on the ground. Go hang out at your DZ towards sunset on a Saturday. Watch the sunset load, drink some beer and hang out. Come back that Sunday and do a jump if you feel ready. If not, then enjoy the hanging out. If you feel like skydiving you will make a jump, if you don't, then you won't. However, just about every skydiver I've known that has "quit" jumping has regretted selling their gear. Skydiving is never truely out of your blood.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks guys, I guess I just needed someone else to tell me that. Nobody I hang around with on a regular basis has ever jumped, so their advice usually consists of that perplexed look.

I like the just hang out idea. Time to get a cooler full of adult beverages and just enjoy the scenery and company again.

You guys are the best.:)

first off dude, dust off the camping gear, the rest of the world of skydiving is like aggiedave points out is "hanging out," but the other part is staying the night.

back when i was going to an AFF lesson drove right on by the DZ and went the hell home. just didn't feel the vibe there, and it took a dry run there to confirm it.

fill out your profile and make some friends. staying the weekend increases the skydwelling friends you will make many fold and less time for the ground dwellers!

If you don't have some fear in you, then there is something wrong with you!
Fear will keep you from complacency, and complancency has killed more then one skydiver before. So as others have said, pack up your overnite bag and cooler of good stuff and get out there to hang out and most of all have fun.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

However, just about every skydiver I've known that has "quit" jumping has regretted selling their gear. Skydiving is never truely out of your blood.

I'll second that. I quit last year and sold all my gear.

A few months later I had a "What the fuck was I thinking?!?" moment.

Then in May this year I bought all new gear and started jumping again.
The whole process would have been a lot cheper if I had just put my gear in the closet for a few months ;)
__

My mighty steed

in reply to ".....every time I even think about it, all I can see is myself getting hurt or worse."

Might be time for a more positive mind-set.
You could try replacing the getting hurt bit with visualising yourself doing just fine and having heaps of fun.
B|