mattwht

Between AFF Jumps

Hey all,

So I got a bit delayed in my AFF jumps (A few financial issues have arisen). I'm still going to be able to do them, but worst case scenario, I will only be able to afford to jump once a month. As in one jump, once a month.

What suggestions do you guys have for keeping my lessons fresh in my mind? IS laying belly down on the floor and practicing my dive flow gonna be enough?

I'd appreciate any and every bit of advice!

If you're DZ or another one close does IAD or SL you should try that out. You can typically do 2.5 jumps for the price of one AFF, so its easier to get more jumps in and you come out of the program over 1/2 way to your A license. Also you can transfer over to another program without having to start over. I did IAD and had a blast, just finished last weekend.

If this is not an option I would say practice your Arch, deployment sequence, and read the SIM. Practice to improve muscle memory (never knew how critical that was until I started skydiving, it helps tremendously) and the SIM has tons of useful information. I would start in section 4. Also if you can, just go sit on the DZ and watch people's landing patterns to get a good idea of what it should look like for varying wind conditions.

Hope all of that helps, worked for me. From one newbie to another, good luck!

Practicing body position, or anything at home is a double-edged sword. It's helpful to build muscle-memory, but if you're practicing it wrong, you're building the wrong memories.

As mentioned, you can go to the DZ and hang out, even if you can't jump. You can hang out in the packing room and offer to 'assist' the packers for free in exchange for learning to pack.

You can also hang out and 'observe' instructors working with students, and pick up accurate tips that way. You'd be surprised at what you can learn just by watching an instructor work with another student.

If you have any questions based on what you see, or that just pop into your head during your off time, write them down and bring your list with you when you actually get to jump.

Finally, just be honest with your instructors when you do come back to jump, and ask that they put in a little extra time on the ground prep based on the length of time between jumps. Yes, they should check your logbook and know the dates, but that length of time means different things to different people, so speak up and let them know what it means to you.

I disagree with the idea that you should wait until you have the money to make all the jumps at once. Jump at your own pace and enjoy the process.

I was actually in the same position as you. I usually did one jump a month, two at the most per month. A month between jumps is a lot when you are first starting out. To help I would lay on my stomach and practice my arch and go thru the dive flow for the next jump. This worked pretty well.

Go through the dive flow in your head to get comfortable with what you need to do. The biggest thing about having a month between jumps is your nerves each time you go back out.

I did it without a problem. Some people say to save up the money and do it all at once. It's really up to you, whether you do it once a month or wait til you have all the money it will still take the same amount of time to finish. As long as you and your instructor go over your dive flow enough before each jump you should be good.

Lots of good advice from others.
If you are serious about spending a lot of time at the DZ, learning to pack is a great way to know gear AND get some $$$. And you make a lot of friends... I made sure to get to know the people packing my parachute since I figured I was trusting my life to them.

I spaced out my jumps as well, but not for financial reasons. In between I spent a lot of time reading SIM, "arching" on the floor, and learning about the physics of canopy flight.
You are not the contents of your wallet.