katzurki

The Ideal Cutaway

So... if—
- the reserve was due for a repack in two weeks;
- Cypres was desperately needing its maintenance;
- I kept both handles;
- I had my camera on (third jump with it ever, first jump it didn't power off or go out of focus), so everything is on video;
- and, most importantly, the chopped canopy landed directly on top of the freebag in the center of the field...
—do you think it could have been a more perfectly timed or executed cutaway?:)
I had an extremely fun experience with my only unplanned expense being a case of beer—and that is never money badly spent.:ph34r:

Hahaha head hunting via the web - great way of keeping the costs down ...

Question: If a skydiver were to get to a point in his or her career and had never experienced a cutaway, are there schools around that will strap him or her on a 2nd belly reserve and allow them to make a planned cutaway?

Im not condoning or suggesting - just enquiring!

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

Be carefull! You may jinx yourself into a nasty trend of cutaways. I made a preplanned chop for my first cutaway almost 12 years ago and since have had 59 more. Except for the 1st one,I have always tried to fix any problems that could be fixed altitude permitting. I have cleared dozens of tension knots and line overs and have landed a few step throughs and broken steering lines without incident. Less than one week after my preplanned chop I had two unplanned chops. I have averaged 5 chops per year since my 1st. I've just had my 5th for this year on friday the 29th. I hope this will be the last. Maybe you can take my place on the cutaway highway. By the way,I have only packed one mal and it was busted lines on a high jump# canopy. I hope you always have a nice reserve when you really need it.
Blue Skies!

Would you like a job with Relative Workshop...Whoops, I mean United Parachute Technologies? None of my test jumpers ever get the broken away main to land in the middle of the field. They're always in the trees, or the middle of a swamp somewhere.

I'd apply for that. Bill, all my intentional cutaways (30+) have landed withing 500 yards of where I intended to land. ;)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

—do you think it could have been a more perfectly timed or executed cutaway?:)

On my first cutaway I kept both my handles, got my main and freebag back, the reserve date was about 4 days away, AND it was sunset load on a Sunday evening. :P

My reasonably ideal cutaway was when a buddy and I entangled canopies while doing CRW, with him going through my lines. The DZ hadn't seen a lot of CRW so we were planning to show off a downplane. We never got that far but we still put on a show.

The entangled canopies didn't spin so it was an easy, low speed cutaway for us both. No handles were dropped, we landed on the DZ, and others brought back our gear before we even had a chance to go looking for it. I landed under a round so there was one less freebag to deal with than usual.

Severe haze then stopped any other loads from going up so we weren't missing any jumping. As a rigger, it cost us nothing to pack all 4 canopies back up again that afternoon. The reserve rides were even my first confirmed saves.

So... if—
- and, most importantly, the chopped canopy landed directly on top of the freebag in the center of the field...

after my cutaway the freebag hit the main and they both landed in the centre of the runway. Needless to say I even did not walk to there cause aerodrome staff brought it to me :)

It was a legitimate malfunction alright, it spun up on me. I just got the video, but I don't know how to make it smaller yet, and it's 57Mb. Beware, it's nothing really spectacular—a bad attempt at filming a 3-way, an uneventful cutaway, and I don't even swear until after the reserve has inflated.:D

http://ventor.ru/cutaway.avi (57Mb)
Please nobody make it a clicky.

Would you like a job with Relative Workshop...Whoops, I mean United Parachute Technologies? None of my test jumpers ever get the broken away main to land in the middle of the field. They're always in the trees, or the middle of a swamp somewhere.

How much will I have to pay to work for you? Where do I sign up already?;)

How much will I have to pay to work for you? Where do I sign up already?;)

Actually, it's so much fun, you have to pay me!

Whew.
Had a cutaway on a night jump (broken lines) here in New Mexico. I cutaway and landed fine , but it took several hours to find the main. The main had landed just down wind of the Sandia Pueblo tribes buffalo pen...................................J.....................
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards