lisamariewillbe

Feeling at one with the canopy

Quade....why ya tryin' to take the fun out of the sport ?
BTW I do it all the time with mine.

Yeah, but you have a set of brass ones that I don't! ;)

pictures?
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I am just starting out and would love a canopy ride like you describe! Care to share the canopy size/wing loading that created this love affair

The size was a 190 loaded .78 to 1

Some think Im loaded to light but at around 100 jumps I pretty much stay around this wingloading for now until I am able to jump more.

I dont know much about skydiving but I do know that I would rather be under a canopy the size of a hanger then one the size of a postage stamp.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I cant confirm if that is true but avg opening is 600 to 1000 for me. If it took longer as is 1200 ish Id be cutting away and pulling my reserve because something may be wrong and if its not wrong all Ive lost is a possible canopy if it lands where I cant find it.

I'd feel safer in the 600 - 800 range. I'm not even rolling my nose for my current times. I'll have my B-license soon, which under PASA (South African) regulations will allow me to jump a 190 Pilot at a loading of 1.15. I'm keen to see the difference if any.

Speaking of lost canopies, I spent 2 hours in some rough bush looking for a student main that'd been chopped 2 weekends ago. Thankfully we found it, though the freebag is a gonner.

I know the feeling. I am a very new jumper (only 21 jumps) and I purchased a used spectre 150 which puts me at a loading of around 1.1. I was very nervous about flying this as the smallest canopy I had flown previosly was a navigator 200.

Anyway, my fears were unfounded as it all three jumps so far have had nice soft openings (even without doing anything to the nose) and beautiful soft landings. The first opening did make me feel kind of strange as I wasnt used to 700-800ft openings, but it seems to be normal on my chute.

Just like a Triathlon...it's in the packing.
You want it to open slow? Pull the slider out.
You want it to open fast? Push the slider in.

Simple as that. If you feel you have to roll the nose on a Spectre to slow the opening down, you're missing the slider adjustment or there's a problem with the line set or you have the wrong slider on it.

Congrats Lisamarie. I'm glad you found a canopy you like and feel confident with. I'm in love with my Tri. I sweet talk her all the time..never a harsh word and she treats me well. I'd marry her if she could cook.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

i actually just sold my spectre cuz i was really really bored with it...it was my first canopy of my own..

ended up buying a brand new safire2...

cant wait till it gets here i love that canopy..

good luck with yours tho im glad you love it so much...
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

You know I find this post interesting because the first time I jumped a seven cell it was also a Spectre. I immediatly knew that I was a seven cell girl. When I tried to describe to people why I loved it so much I found myself saying over and over again "its just like the canopy and I were connected somehow. Like it knew what I wanted it to do and I could just place it in the sky and on the ground right where I wanted it." I really never felt this way with the nine cells I've jumped. I always felt like I was fighting with the canopy just a little. LIke my good landings were just luck rather than skill.

I'm glad to see that others have had this experience and I'm not out of my mind. It seems that people who jump seven cells are very passionate about their canopies. I'm glad to be part of the big 7 club too.
PMS#529

Perfect post.... I had to jump a huge 9 cell (they didnt force me but if i wanted to jump I had to) damn thing picked me up after I landed and chucked me back to the ground and dragged me.... I blame it on it being a 9 cell :| (sarcasim, I know , I sucked) but no more 9 cells and since dumbass me waited so long to get out of the jumpsuit, im now stuck in it because i cant bend the stupid knee DAMN 9 cell .....

>:(

I had to jump a huge 9 cell (they didnt force me but if i wanted to jump I had to) damn thing picked me up after I landed and chucked me back to the ground and dragged me....

A skydive does not end when your feet touch the ground.
Pulling back by the canopy is a clear sign of a poor ending of the landing.
It's about where your canopy lying on the ground or even when you back to the packing area.

Pulling back by the canopy is a clear sign of a poor ending of the landing

When I said it chucked me back to the ground, it did so from the front. Didnt stand the landing up, canopy fell to the front....I then stood, started to gather, then it did it. And yes I actually know the skydive isnt over once my feet hit the ground... Im sure I am the only person to get hurt this way ever. I recognized my mistake once I was done, I had a talk about it with 2 people who combined have over 17000 jumps, and it was not the concern of the previous post, had it been, I would have posted it in a way to give more information so others could get a feel for what happened... I was joking when I blamed the 9 cells.