ryan188

tandems tandems

ok i have done 2 tandems already this summer, and i want to do either one more tandem or the first jump course...what would be better to do???, i am thinking one more tandem, so i can start fress next spring with the hole AFF, and do it all in 2 weeks to get my liscece, like a camp type thing, or should i just start the first jump AFF this weekend???

I was working at Skydive New england last fall and there were some pretty nice days in october. The AFF level 1 is a day long gig. After level 1, if you have the cash you could do multiple levels of AFF in a day. It all depends on you,the weather,and how many other students are there. I know most of the staff at Skydive New england and they are very motivated to teach. They love making new skydivers. If the weather stays nice,it is possible to finnish all levels of AFF in one weekend,I have seen this done a couple of times in the last 14 years.
What ever you decide,have fun!

Ryan,

I'm a noob too, and I think you should start AFF. It's getting cold here in Denver too, but there's still plenty of good weather left. I'm doing my Level 2 this weekend, and plan on jumping straight through winter, weather permitting. I'll fly the tunnel when I get weathered out. Even if it takes me all winter to finish AFF, I'll be spending money on jumps towards that goal, rather than tandem rides. Just my $0.02...

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Word! Toolbox again. Ryan I have recently talked with one of the owners of Skydive New england and he tells me there is now a wind tunnel near your neck of the woods. If you start AFF and winter hits,you can go to the tunnel and work on your flying.

Post Copied From:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2465155#2465155

This is a good question:

I trained in AFF as a student, worked some AFF but mostly working at a tandem progression school for over 5 years.

Popsjumper is totally correct about the pros and cons list. Like anything, what is best for Joe-blow might no be the best for you.

In my limited experience teaching the tandem progression method I see the best results is when a student makes 1 or 2 tandem(s) then takes the FJC (first solo jump course) during the week. Soon thereafter, while everything is still fresh, make a tandem and fly the dive flow for the first solo (Cat A). This is a “working” tandem where the student deploys and is in charge of flying a correct pattern, the instructor is just there to back up the student at this point and will use their discretion as how much to allow the student to be in charge of the tandem.

Aggie Dave is right on the money about learning how to "fly" the parachute. Canopy piloting with an expert there with you can really accelerate the learning curve with what has become an overlooked yet very important aspect of our sport -proficient canopy piloting.

After landing and debrief, train for and go make your first solo – you will be fresh, you will have gotten over the excitement of the first jump of the day and you will have a real world practice run on your first dive flow.

Remember that if you feel you are not ready to pilot your canopy solo you can always decide you need another “working” tandem.

I am not giving you a recommendation; I am just telling you what technique I have seen the best results with in terms of student performance, this has been in my experience as a solo freefall instructor at a busy tandem progression school.

Fit a little tunnel time if you can, but the tunnel is not a substitute for actual freefall. Out of 500 student jumps I can only think of a couple that absolutely needed tunnel time to proceed.

Like Pops said – more attention to detail concerning the landing.

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…