JT_76

Jumping with heavy gear on

I was watching a show on the military channel about the military's freefall school and for their final jumps they were jumping freefall with all their gear.

They had their packs between their legs somehow when they went out and it got me wondering about the aerodynamics of falling with bulky gear on like that.

Anyone ever do that or know anything about it? I was in the military so I know how heavy those packs can be, seems like keeping it between your legs would pull you into a feet down position during freefall. What about the landing also? I'm assuming they would let it hang off their body by a cord once the chute is open.

Just curious how they do it, thanks for any info on this!

I have a LOT of military freefall jumps with equipment and, truth be told, I would rather be jumping equipment when I had an MT1-XX/MC-4 on my back. I just got blown around too much under canopy when I jumped hollywood. Jumping equipment isn't any harder than doing tandems. It's just pretty important that you stick your exits.

Chuck Blue
MFFJM (among other things)