RoyWharton

Skydiving on airports

I'm looking for information on any DZ's that jump onto airports that have a 2 or 3 runway configuration, and approximately 180,000 or more aircraft movements a year?

180,000/yr seems like a lot. AirNav has a statistic near the bottom of the page for each airport; DeLand is about 77,000 and Zephyrhills is about 37,000. To quantify "a lot", the main commerical airports in Tulsa and Kansas City have about 159,000 and 172,000 operations per year respectively. (Neither has a DZ.)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I'm looking for information on any DZ's that jump onto airports that have a 2 or 3 runway configuration, and approximately 180,000 or more aircraft movements a year?

180,000/yr seems like a lot. AirNav has a statistic near the bottom of the page for each airport; DeLand is about 77,000 and Zephyrhills is about 37,000. To quantify "a lot", the main commerical airports in Tulsa and Kansas City have about 159,000 and 172,000 operations per year respectively. (Neither has a DZ.)

Eule

Eule,
How are you getting your numbers? Are you just multiplying the daily operational rate by 365? If so, this one, where a DZ operated for a few years up until last summer might have been the busiest. It was a tandem mill in northern California and had a marketing line of the "Only tower controlled DZ in the country" or whatever, FWIW.

Eule

Eule,
How are you getting your numbers? Are you just multiplying the daily operational rate by 365? If so, this one, where a DZ operated for a few years up until last summer might have been the busiest. It was a tandem mill in northern California and had a marketing line of the "Only tower controlled DZ in the country" or whatever, FWIW.

180,000/yr is a lot. In the USA an airport that busy would be fairly certain to have a tower.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How are you getting your numbers? Are you just multiplying the daily operational rate by 365?

Yep. I will say that I think some of the numbers are a little goofy; I live near KRVS and it claims 926 operations a day (337,000 a year) or about one every 1.5 minutes. I might believe this as a peak when the student pilot operations are in full swing, but I don't think this is sustained 24 hours a day.

If so, this one, where a DZ operated for a few years up until last summer might have been the busiest.

It's currently showing 313/day or about 114,000/yr, which is the highest one I've seen so far. Why did they shut down? Did the little beagle with goggles and a scarf that was flying his doghouse shoot at too many tandems?

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I'm guessing that:

1) volatile weather, since airport not far from the coast and frequent fog and can get windy

2) DZOs daughter moved away - wanted to be near her.

3) tower/increased traffic a hassle to deal with. (United actually flew out of here in those 30 seater Brazillian turbo props pre-9/11. I think Horizon flies out of there now.)

I'm just speculating though. They had a nice view.