agent_lead

night jumps

did my first 2 night jumps last night...

first one was a hop n pop from 6k

second one was full alti..

i was NOT a big fan of them...will prolly never do them again...

im not a huge fan of not knowing precisely when to flare...

anyone else do any nightjumps recently?

and how do you feel about them?
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

I love em.

Flare when you would flare otherwise, the earth hasn't moved since sunset.

If you aren't comfortable doing them, wait a few hundred jumps and maybe give em another shot when you have a larger skillset under your belt, and maybe they won't be so scary.

That said, if you're still scared, thanks for staying off the load so the rest of us don't have to dodge the scared guy under canopy.

I have done a few, most of them are work related but every now and then I do do them for fun.

They can be fun, and they can be hairy too.

I will be doing some semi work related ones in Paris Tn on the 14th, any one want to come out?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Love um. Nothing like 4 way and turning pieces at night with glowsticks!

Love em too. I have about 50 - but for me it's all about wingsuits now, looking at he moon reflecting off Silver wings with lightning in the background..

t
It's the year of the Pig.

im not a huge fan of not knowing precisely when to flare...

When I was at the 150ish jump area, a night jump was much more intimidating then a night jump tonight.

Night jumps are not for everyone, but for me they quickly became my preferred conditions to jump in.

So much beauty, they might grow on you.
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I have two, though not recently. They were fun, the darkness and the little lights everywhere were very pretty, and I won't be doing any more. You just don't see other people in the air well enough for my comfort level.
Johan.
I am. I think.

i mean dont get me wrong..i actually LOVED the freefall..

we could see the entire nyc skline..all of the jersey shore./..the moon reflecting off the ocean..even under canopy i enjoyed it..

but as soon as i turned onto final i realized that i really didnt see where the ground was exactly...i had good landings on both jumps...but just felt that i didnt have the flare control and precision that i feel comfortable with...

after reading my first post i made it sound like i was scared to death...but i did enjoy myself untill final...

just dont think i will be wanting to do anymore anytime in the next 1000 jumps...

maybe after that ..if i see a point..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

NYC at night - how perfect that must have been.

You made good landings anyway eh?

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much - how many people in life get to experience that?

Not many...

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

did my first 2 night jumps last night...

first one was a hop n pop from 6k

second one was full alti..

im not a huge fan of not knowing precisely when to flare..

anyone else do any nightjumps recently?

and how do you feel about them?

I absolutely loved my night jumps. As stated there are not many people in the world that get to do this. The beauty is surreal.
My last night jump was a three way "peter pan" tracking dive in which the three of us tracked in a line with hand docks toward the absurdly big moon in the sky. One of my most memorable jumps in my young skydiving career.

The landings were a bit tricky in that you really didn't have any clue how fast you were going until you could actually see the ground. It is normally farily windy (15mph or higher not uncommon) during the day and the winds dropped off a bit at night which only increased the speed a bit. My landings were good, but one other guy had a tough one. I can easily see how some might not enjoy the landings much.

Blue Skies!
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Love um. Nothing like 4 way and turning pieces at night with glowsticks!

Love em too. I have about 50 - but for me it's all about wingsuits now, looking at he moon reflecting off Silver wings with lightning in the background..

t

Our wingsuit flock, a.k.a. Avian Flew, talked about outlining the whole wingsuit in glowtube and flying a formation over the city (our DZ has the city in the background) with a photographer above to get the shots...

Never happened... Yet... And the other two flockers moved to Cali. So I guess I will have to go "there" to do it, huh?

I didn't get you wrong - my second one was a two-way where we just linked up and looked around and enjoyed the view - and it was beautiful. My landings weren't half bad either, though I would take a bigger canopy now than I normally jump. But I didn't see the point after that - the risk of collisions seems too big - and that is after a 1000 jumps :)
I can totally relate to Mykel (AFFI). But I won't be doing them anymore.
Johan.
I am. I think.

We just had a night jump on the Advanced Freefall Course here in Cyprus. I hadn't quite achieved all the requirements for my B licence so was prevented from jumping. However, when the wind changed 180 degrees as the pass I would have been on exited resulting in a number of downwind landings, I was somewhat relieved! Fortunately, there were no serious injuries, although one guy knocked himself out, we think, and spent a night under observation for a concussion!
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

I did my first night jumps this evening and I'm hooked... it was downright awesome... B|

like wildcard said... just flair where you normally would... strangely I probably had my best landing today on my night jump... (and watching that plane leave... with the flashing lights, all the lights of the local cities on the ground...) it was just cool... :)
Personally I can't wait to get to do them again... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

We had 4 vehicles, two each side with full beams making a cross into the wind. We also had a T-shape of cyalumes (as laid down in the BPA manual) pointing the direction into the wind. However, as anyone who has ever jumped in Cyprus knows, the winds can change in an instant. That night they did and literally switched 180 degrees after the first pass had got out. Hence the confusion and downwind landings. It was scary - as the doc on the DZ, I cringed everytime someone piled in...
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

I did my first ever night jump this past weekend. I was pretty nervous. I was relieved when I was out of the plane and realized I could see my altimeter and see where I was supposed to land. Landing went fine, no depth perception issues or anything.

I loved the sensation of falling through the cool night air. I will definatley do it again given the chance if all the conditions are right. It was the highlight of a great weekend.
... Marion