Frenchy68

Reserve smaller than main

I'm trying to figure out why is it that most (if not all) of the systems I have demo-ed have a reserve that is about 20 sqft smaller than the main. My best friend had a reserve ride a couple of weeks ago, jumping a 170 sqft Sabre II (he weights about 135 lbs), and found himself under a 150 sqft reserve. In other words, piloting a canopy for the first time, and this canopy has a higher W/L than his main. I am sure there is a logic behind it, and would love to hear it (I forgot to ask last time at the DZ!)

Nick

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I have got to jump in here too. I've had the same question for over a year.

Everyone on this site carry's on about wing loading, jump numbers, etc....etc.....etc....

Why in the world, would a reserve, designed to save our asses, be loaded higher than a main???

The only thought I had is because of room in the container?

Though that really doesn't make sense too me....

BillVon? Phree? AggieDave?Drennan?

Guy's???? Give it to us, why would you have a reserve, smaller than your main??? When for the most part, most of you already fly a small as hell main???

Inquiring minds, want to know.

;)

Oh, and, if no one has thanked you lately, thanks for all the free coaching you all give us on this site.

Truly, it's priceless and we all appreciate it very much.

JJF

It's a gas
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Search the forums, this topic has been discussed. There's a thread somewhere where people mentioned what size reserve/main they had. The majority had reserves larger than their mains, I believe.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Also, all sizes are not the same. Some folks take that in to account when choosing their reserve sizes. Its not a real good idea to size your reserve that way, but some folks do that.

Other then that, folks get a smaller reserve to make their container look smaller..."good for you, you broke your legs under your reserve, but your rig looks nice and small."

Me? I have a 149 XF2 main and a PDr-176 for a reserve and my rig still looks pretty small (on me atleast).:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just a minor point - if you cutaway the main the total weight has dropped by 6-8lbs. Not enough to make up for a 20ft drop, but not as bad as it would seem otherwise.

Unless you have a total. Then you've still got your main...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies
  • Like 1

OK, I respect (even if I may not quite understand it) folks wanting to OWN smaller reserves so it makes for smaller/tighter containers. But the ones I rent/demo at the local shop seem to come with a smaller reserve (or at least they were when I asked!). I would think that a decent percentage of jumpers renting gear is made of newbies like me, demo-ing systems until they buy their own.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

230 main
218 reserve... why?
well that was all i could get craimed into my rig, and second i am still weighting the 218 at a 1.1. And i have had to land a 218 before and had no problem with it so i feel confident that i can fly and land it properly. But when i down size ot a 210( no rish to do this but one day) then i still plan to keep at least a 218.

anyways, listen to the more expericed folks not me, i just wanted to throw my .02 in
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

> I am sure there is a logic behind it, and would love to hear it (I
> forgot to ask last time at the DZ!)

Because many people order a container they think they will want when it's delivered (in, say, six months) and thus size the reserve smaller than their current reserve. Or they look ahead a year and think "I will want a 170 reserve in a year, so I'm going to take the chance that I won't have a mal for a year. And if I do, I will still _probably_ be able to land the smaller reserve."

I'm disappointed that more manufacturers do not offer a large reserve/small container option. I had to go with an I4 Icon because I didn't want to go smaller than a 135 reserve; my main (a 117) is now swimming in the main container.

I'm trying to figure out why is it that most (if not all) of the systems I have demo-ed have a reserve that is about 20 sqft smaller than the main.

Because small rigs look sexier and people who lack the experience to fly a smaller parachute aren't willing to give up the safety that goes with square footage on a daily basis (otherwise both main and reserve could be smaller). Some people also plan ahead for when they down-size so at that point the main and reserve will match in size.

I have a 105 main and 143 reserve in my main rig, and 135/150 in my birdman setup.

My main is a Spectre 150, and reserve is a PD 143. On my 1 reserve ride, the 143 seemed to fly bigger than my main (or at least that's how it seemed as I watched my main float away). I was a little afraid of the 143 - and considered upsizing it - until I flew it.

I know that to be the case because I work there

I know that, justin!

I imagine its for a variety of reasons***
...which I'm sure you will be delighted to explain to me this coming Sunday.;)

Nick

I'm trying to figure out why is it that most (if not all) of the systems I have demo-ed have a reserve that is about 20 sqft smaller than the main.

I’m surprised no one has hit on this. There was some research a few years back on 2 outs. The best general configuration was to have a slightly smaller reserve. This increased the probability of a 2 out going into a controllable biplane. I do not claim to be an expert on this but the research should be easily available online. I think there was a study by both PD and one by the military at about the same time. A quick search should turn it all up.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Here's a guess, it's the money. Most dealers or stores aren't buying rigs and such expressly for demo purposes (that would be expensive). Maybe they are using used gear from thier inventory, or they wree given some demo models by a manufacturer to use. Either way it's a case of using what happens to be available, which means that it will be sufficeint for most jumpers needs, but not tailored directly to any one jumpers needs.

2 PD canopies are measured the same. If you have a larger PD main and a smaller PD-Reserve, the reserve really is smaller. Its only when you start comparing a PD 143 to a PA 150 will the Pd be larger.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

2 PD canopies are measured the same. If you have a larger PD main and a smaller PD-Reserve, the reserve really is smaller. Its only when you start comparing a PD 143 to a PA 150 will the Pd be larger.

I'm not sure this is the case. I was told by a experienced rigger that PD measures reserve size on the bottom of the canopy and mains on the top (or something like that) but that my PD 176 main is actually closer to 180 to 185 if I wanted to make a direct comparison to my Sabre 2, 190.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP