mattyblast

Spinning mal on both canopies...yikes!!

The OP could have used asymmetric inputs on the risers to steer/flare... it's not impossible, is it?

Sure. But not the best option. I havne't had a cutaway, but I have had about 5 brake fires over the last 600 jumps. If your spinning, pull down the opposite toggle to stop the spin if you aren't in line twists its pretty easy to do. If it doesn't work then cut away, but for me, a spinning canopy is a flying one, just not flying how I want it to. I have options to fix it before getting rid of it and if I am not at my decision altitude I'm going to try and fix it. Brake fires are kinda disorientating. You open up and are spinning and when you look up have no line twists. It takes a second to figure out just what happend. The worst was opening with spinning line twists fixing it and having a brake pop when pulling my slider down and spinning me in the other direction.

The best option, besides cutting away, in my opinion at least is to take enough of a wrap on the released toggle to keep the canopy at level flight and land on rears. You start complicating things and the one downside is that if you end up having a low cutaway your attached to your toggle because of the wrap, but it is doable if your carful about things from there on out. The worst that is going to happen on landing is some broken bones even with no flare. (Why do you have a cypress if you think its not survivable to land in half brakes w/o a flare?) If you cutaway and your reserve doesn't open you're much more likely to die. This is all easier for me to say though because I have landed on rears hundreds of times. But there was that first time! Even if you haven't done it before, being ready to plf and landing on rears is better than having a reserve malfunction in my book.

I haven't had to cut away yet, so I don't know what I am going to do, but I have been close on some spinning line twists before, and it's bad times that much is for sure.

Good job on staying alive matty!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

That sounds like something to try up high sometime also. If it is doable this might be a good solution. How about it more experienced jumpers, can you restow a toggle in flight? I would think that you'd have some time to work with it if you leveled out the wing quickly. Opinions please.
James

has any one tried re-stowing the good toggle to put the brakes back on

To achieve this, you need to be able to hold down a loaded brakeline one-handed, without taking a wrap.

Taking a wrap will a) cause you to turn, and b) make cutting away difficult/hazardous.

That sounds like something to try up high sometime also. If it is doable this might be a good solution. How about it more experienced jumpers, can you restow a toggle in flight? I would think that you'd have some time to work with it if you leveled out the wing quickly. Opinions please.
James

I don't think it's feasable to do. You might be able to do it, but not under the conditions that would require you to do it and not in any reasonable amount of time. Most likely though, the average skydiver would just fail at doing so.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka