VTflyer

paper

I have to write a persuassive essay using counter arguments. Being that I cant think about anything else anymore I decided to wrtie about how skydiving can be very safe. I was sort of playing with the idea that skydiving can be just as safe or just as dangerous as driving a car depending on how conservative/aggresive and educated you are. Again I have to make counter arguments (i.e. What if your parachutes fails?.. that's why you have a reserve canopy)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Skydiving is not safe. It is not safer then driving a car. It is, however, safer than playing Russian Rulette with a semi-auto.

If you search, you'll find that literally a carboncopy of this thread was posted not too long ago. There were some decent (and some not so decent) posts in it that you may want to read if you consider continuing with your idea for your paper.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Using the statistics of each you could easily show how that skydiving is much safer than driving a car.

this is an often repeated line at virtually every dz across the globe, it is however as I understand it untrue.

point out how carefully the reserves are packed

reserves are not a magic 'get to the ground safe pass'... . you are betting your life that your reserve will not mal on you on the same jump that your main does.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

...It is, however, safer than playing Russian Rulette with a semi-auto.

Statistically, one round in a 20-round clip seems safer than one round in a 6-round cylinder for Russian Roulette. In practice, however, not so safe...:S