timbarrett

Encourage friends to jump..?

I don't bring up jumping to my non-jumping friends. I will provide information is queried but thats about it.

A handful of people in the last two years have made the "I have always wanted to try that" comment. At that point I will offer up the DZ# and offer to go with them. It is up to them to "make the leap". So far our sitter is the only one out of about 50 that has gone and done a tandem.

So no, I don't encourage or discourage it until they have committed to doing it themselves.

"Uh oh! This is gonna hurt!"

I tell them that I'd really rather that they not try it, because I have to wait in line to get on a load as it is, so we sure don't need any more new people showing up. ;)

Kevin

so many people in this life assume things are safe and even after disclaimers/video etc don't truly "get it" that there is a small, but not zero, chance that someting might go very wrong even on a tandem..i just want to make sure I am erring on the side of pointing this out rather than getting carried away by my enthusiasm for the sport and so inadvertently "selling" it too hard...
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

Its crazy how many people say "oh Id love to do that". I then offer to set it up and go with them but almost everybody has had something as an exscuse. bullshit if you ask me. The first time skydiving entered my mind as an actual possibility (had money/was old enough) i did it the following weekend and now im hooked. it just goes to show you that it takes a special person to jump out of a "perfectly good airplane"
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

I encourage every one I know to jump. Eighteen to eighty, blind, cripple, or crazy.

I speak of what I love with passion and clarity. I don't go out of my way to tell people what I do, but most of my friends are from spending 70 hours a week at work, word travels, and the questions get asked.

What I've found is that women tend to do it before guys will.

Women- 5
Guys- 0

One 21 year old girl (Sarah) made a jump, and not only had she never jumped, she had never been in a plane!

The bigger and stronger the guy, the bigger the wuss they usually are.

OK this post is not really that relevant, I just like learning about how people react to stuff, so indulge me ....

I think it depends on how you (not you personally, piisfish - I just hate using the word 'one' like prince charles) present the sport. People do things they think will benefit them (especially if it costs a lot), and finding the right 'benefit' is what will encourage them to be attracted to the sport. When you talk about it, you will prpbably be enthusiastic. But do you also come across as competent and sensible? Do people feel they can trust you? If not they probably won't follow you into a life-threatening sport.

Adventurechick shows this - her attitude is all fizzy and happy, and people pick up on "wow, skydiving is fun" because thats what she shows through her attitude.

I originally came to skydiving to challenge myself. The risk part of it was CENTRAL to wanting to do it - I wanted to do something I knew could kill me, and that was where I got the buzz and sense of achievement from when I finally jumped. Now I just think its just great fun! (took me til level 6 AFF to think that though ...).

Most people are looking for simple pleasure in life, either from an experience or development from a skill, thats what a hobby is to most people. Then there are those of us that feel a need for something more, perhaps that sense of danger or challenge.

When you talk about skydiving, you will do so enthusiastically because you love it. The enthusiasm will rub off in the moment and people will think 'woo that sounds like fun.'

The BUT normally comes after you have walked away, and they have thought through the risk part and felt that fear rise in their chest. For some that fear turns to adrenaline and excitement, for others its just unpleasant.

adventurechick , its makes me wonder - do people ask you about the dangerous side? How do you react when they do?

Re: women being more likely to try it - can anyone verify that? Whenever Ive been on DZ's in the past and recently, I tend to see a lot more men than women in both the experienced and student population. Maybe we need more hunky sky-gods like me to attract them in. (see photo, left)

Cheers

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

Typically i invite about 50 people a year. Once a year for the interoffice email invite, once a year for the group of friends email invite. I'd say maybe 20 have actually come out in about 4 years. Of those, 5 have made more than 1 jump. Of those, 1 is thinking about doing AFF. Of those, 1 cried after landing :)

I get the usual questions too. One guy asked me, "is it 100% safe?" Whenever a fatality makes it onto the whuffo radar, invariably one or two people will call me the next day to 'talk'

At first I made the arrangements & drove people but then too many people flaked so i just left it at, "I try to go up every weekend at least one day, weather & time permitting, so make your reservation, here's the #, and i'll meet you up there." I also avoid the "can my wife call you so you can reassure her?" thing. I try to hit them right between the eyes with the fact that its the most amazing thing i've done but that you can die. End of story. That doesnt dissuade people who really want to go up...
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

adventurechick , its makes me wonder - do people ask you about the dangerous side? How do you react when they do?

Re: women being more likely to try it - can anyone verify that? Whenever Ive been on DZ's in the past and recently, I tend to see a lot more men than women in both the experienced and student population. Maybe we need more hunky sky-gods like me to attract them in. (see photo, left)

Everyone asks me about the dangerous side of it. I try to educate everyone about the sport before going into it. Many of my friends didn't even know you have two parachutes and that the second one is packed by a professional rigger. I show them my rig and how it works as well. I believe knowledge is a key factor and want them to know some of the basics. They do ask me about the death rate and I'm honest with them and do let them know that it is risky... but these are college students... we love risk!

As for the woman vs. men.... I have noticed more woman going for a tandem but the only ones I've seen do a 2nd, 3rd, 4th...AFF are men.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

I orginally bought into the whole "it is safer than driving in your car". I feel bad for echoing this to my relatives and others at first.

Now when I am asked if it is dangerous I say sure it is, your falling at the earth at 120 mph. It is calculated risk, and you can make it safer, but there is definetly the chance you can die.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If any of you are around college age, when you male friend asks abou skydiving, just tell them that it's too dangerous and XTREEEME for them. That'll just make them want to do it more ;)

LMAO, that is so true!!, i have told 4 out of the 15 i have tried to tlk into going, and the 4 i said that to, went, but will never do it again!!

The only people that I enocurage are those that come up to me saying that they've always wanted to do it, because those are the people that do it and keep on doing it. I never try to convince someone that hates heights or airplanes or just has no interest to skydive.

I, too, have noticed that even the people that seem so excited and really want to do it.. always have an excuse for not doing it. ALWAYS. Now, I leave it up to them. If they want to do it that bad, they will research it, call and make the reservations. Thats what I did!!

the people i meet that ask about it ill tell them where to go. but i dont go around just asking people to do it, and i dont really tell many new people that i do it either , to many people think im crazy for doing it. family on the other hand tell everyone that we( my little sister jumps to) jump
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

i'm not sure if someone else has mentioned this but i tried getting people to come do a tandem on the days i was going up so that it was cheaper for me. my dz offers monetary incentives if you bring in people. It worked a few times but then it backfired, some people didn't show up and it made me look stupid, so i stopped. :$

Once a year I send that email in our company, something along the lines of "hey, here is an idea, anyone wanna do it?" When (and if) I get some people really interested, I try to organize the "event" (people prefer going in a group, which can be quite difficult to coordinate). Sometimes I get one or two people, sometimes around 10 -- it depends. However, I never try to push or encourage everyone -- it must be their decision. I will give them an idea, and then offer sources of information, contacts, etc., but let them commit rather than trying to make them to. Yes, there are WAY more people that keep saying "I'd LOVE to do it!", but actually never do anything beyond saying that... [:/] But I have also seen couple of people who really want to do it, but can't (i.e. health problems -- past injuries, etc.) I feel so sorry for them...

The best thing that comes to mind was a tandem jump my mom did in 2003. She came visiting in the summer, and I offered her to come with me to the DZ. She did. She spent couple of hours hanging around, watching people go up and land, and then she came up to me and said: "You know what... I think I want to do it!" My reaction was: "Cool! Let's go then, before you change your mind!" :)
We went up on the same load, and she was actually the first one out the door. To be honest, that day I got the whole new respect for my mom: I was watching for signs of nervousness, fear, etc., but could see NOTHING but excitement and concentration. She was totally cool all the way up, and in the door. The first thing she said when I landed and met her on the ground was: "It was SO great, I want to do it again!" She was 62... B| My point is: she TOTALLY came to a decision herself (well, besides me taking her to the DZ, of course...) :P
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

Yes I do if they show interest. I have pictures hanging inside my cabinet at my station. Sometimes clients ( i'm a hairstylist) will ask me about it. I ask if they want to come next time:D Some say No way, but I did have one come with and he liked it:D More want to go next time we'll see. i really like going with people on there first jump and sharing the experience.
Playtime is essential.

No one dragged ME by the hand for MY first jump.. It is something that a person needs to do on their own...

this is absolutely correct... no one invited me to go skydiving... someone brought it up one evening at a party saying something like they'd always wanted to try it... 2.5 years have passed and they still haven't done it...

I did everything on my own... no one else went to the dz with me... it was something that I wanted to do...

I offer to go with my friends but I have yet to have one take me up on the offer... and that's ok... skydiving isn't for everyone... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

That's been my experience too. I never try to talk anyone into doing it. Even when people start asking questions and SAY that they would like to do it, I don't waste any time encouraging them. The people I know who have done skydives did not need any encouragement to go ahead and do the first jump. I think that in most cases it's sufficient to let people know that there is a dropzone nearby and that local people skydive on a regular basis; those who really have the desire to do it don't need much more than that.

I jump with Illinois Skydiving Center, here in Champaign / Urbana. Even though Our dropzone recently relocated, it's amazing how many people just find us! We routinely have people showing up who live near Chicago and various places in Indiana, 2-3 hour drives! These people obviously needed no encouragement, and they are more likely to become regular jumpers.

We are a small DZ, with only a couple of C-182's, but we have no problem keeping them up in the air on a nice weekend doing tandems and fun jumps. We can't really afford to advertise in the media so people are finding us through word-of-mouth, our website, and from posters and business cards that we periodically post on bulletin boards around the University of Illinois campus (we're only 15 minutes away from the university). I think if we really advertised, we'd probably get more business than our C-182's could support :P

Hi all,

I was just wondering what all you guys thought about this post, in the light of what we have been discussing here?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2333693;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

The two seem mutually exclusive - not actively encouraging others to jump, but on the other hand needing new jumpers to come into the sport to sustain it .... Post in the above thread and lets see what ideas people come up with! :P

Ross

People don't want to skydive. They would rather watch golf, wrestling,NASCAR, or football on tv before doing such a living thing as skydiving.:P

...very true. Letting go of death and embracing life does not come naturally to our culture.

All of my friends have seen how happy skydiving makes me, and love it when I'm excited. Many will tell me that they are afraid and they won't go, but being around a college campus, more kids my age are willing to try it. I started jumping 7 months ago, and I've gotten 30 people to do skydives and 2 people to go through AFF.

I think we would all do well to listen to adventurechicks example - its clear that she accomplishes something with her approach that many of us don't.

Ross

I think we would all do well to listen to adventurechicks example - its clear that she accomplishes something with her approach that many of us don't.

It works for her... but um... it won't work for everyone... and that's just the way it is...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I found the sport in the same way you did, Icon. I started back in 2002 with static lines, and then couldnt afford to continue (otherwise I would be at the several hundred jump mark too). I kept reading, kept watching videos. I swore I would do AFF when I had a job and money, so I did, albeit later than I wanted.

All I'm trying to get across is - accentuate the positive in skydiving, show how happy it makes you and how happy it could make them. When they see the possible benefits of starting, they may be that much more likely to start.

Of course, that depends if you think getting others into skydiving is a good idea or not. I think it is (after all I like meeting lots of new people) but if you don't, don't!

Ross