timbarrett

Encourage friends to jump..?

What are the ethics when someone says something like, "I hear you jump and I am thinking of making a tandem/learning to skydive"?
Personally I decided to say "Awesome, I am happy to organize it for you" but to only say that ONCE. I won't sell it to them after that or follow up. If they follow up and once I book them in I also say "This is not an amusement park ride. All I ask before I take you to the DZ is you give a number to call on your behalf in the unlikely - but not impossible - situation that something goes wrong. Give me that number, forget it and go out and have some FUN"
I read somewhere that our ethical responsibility is to say how much we enjoy it - as if anyone could stop us saying that anyway:D. However we should never SELL it...
Just curious what approaches other people take...
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

I have had so many people ask about jumping and then say oh i'd love to come and make a skydive. i've even gone as far as to book the jump and then they've cancelled. So now i say sure, let me know when/ what date suits you and i wait, and wait, wait... one day someone will actually mean it! :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

i've had many friends and even co-workers ask me about jumping. and after answering all thier questions. have heard things like, "that sounds like fun" and "i've always wanted to do it". at which point i tell them to check out the DZ's web site and let me know when thier reservation is and i'll meet them out there. i have yet to hear from anyone.

i don't follow up after that. it takes alot for someone to jump out of a perferctly good airplane. and i figure if they're ever really ready they'll let me know.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Excellent topic...
I often encourage people to "explore what it takes".... to make a jump...
Provide access to DZ's ( phone #'s web sites, driving directions etc. ) and then it's UP to them...
I ask such friends or acquaintences to let me know if they have made an appt. for a jump, and then try to be there to share their excitement.
I steer them toward tandem as a first jump experience, but Never push...
No one dragged ME by the hand for MY first jump.. It is something that a person needs to do on their own...
I would NOT ask anyone for a phone # or Name of "next of kin"..... hell No. >:(
Those details are covered at the point of registration/ waiver..... and it's not sensible to assume that responsibility yourself.... ( plus you could inadvertantly cast a negative spin on that persons' "adventure", before it even starts, with such a request...)
I would urge all excited novice , intermediate and even experienced skydivers to refrain, from
dragging someone out to DZ, even IF it is with that persons willingness. This activity should be entered into by the individual, of their own desire..:|
There will be plenty of time to share the happy occasion afterward, with a hearty handshake, a wink of the eye ( Now they know what we know) and a cold one...
enjoy..... stay safe.
jimmy A 3914 D12122

I have set up a discount on tandems for my co-workers at my home-DZ.
I try to talk as many as possible into it (once they show interest) as you normally just get something between 2-10% of them really doing it. This might be related to me being in sales ;).
However, I never touch my money to buy them any jumps.

Personally I think, the more you get to at least show up at the DZ, the more new students might come out in the end. And if it is just one out of a thousand, this helps the sport.

M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

If someone comes to me then I'm happy to lend a hand with information, etc, but I wouldn't book a jump on someone's behalf. Nor would urge someone to jump who just says 'Oh I'd love to do that', because everyone says that if you mention that you skydive.

Ive had so many friends/ people i meet say its a really cool thing to do and they want to do it, but when it comes down to doing it , there are more excuses not to do it, than reasons to do it....

All i do now is give them a number of a AFF and Tandem instructor (he is also my rigger), and see if they ever call him. None has so far.

Most people talk the talk, but never take action.

There is one guy i once convinced to go skydiving, and he lives in the states now (Hey Ian ;) ), and i think its awesome that he loves skydiving as much as i do.

Blue Skies

Phielix
B|
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

I've only had one person who has said "I definitely want to try that" actually come out and do it. For a while after I started jumping, he was training for an Ironman triathlon, and he used that as an excuse for quite some time (didn't want to take even the slightest risk of a hard landing/injuring an ankle). I could certainly respect that but I also thought it was just a way to get out of it.

He came out and watched me jump one day when he still lived in Washington, and was fascinated by the whole thing. When he moved to Florida (not far from DeLand) I now had a perfect place to stay when I came down for Scott Miller's class. At that point I said, "You know, now would be the perfect time for you to finally schedule that tandem since I'll be out there that day too and can watch you." That was as far as I went and he went through with scheduling (and even rescheduled for the next day after a rain delay). Tons of fun to see him make his tandem (and he also decided "that was fun, but I don't think it's something I want to get into.")

Everyone else has been all talk, and I'm cool with that. It's not for everyone.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Very few people I work with know I jump, because I don't need the "attitude". I'm tired of hearing all the typical unsolicited opinions, answering all the same ole questions. I generally don't tell new friends or neighbors I jump, either; same reason. My days of wearing "skydiver" as part of my public image are long behind me. I don't bring it up in social conversation, and have asked my family not to mention it to those who don't know about it, either.

That being said, I don't encourage any of my non-jumper friends or relatives to jump. If they ask, I'll give them enough info so they can investigate & set up their own jump, nothing more. I don't need someone or their family blaming me if they get hurt.

I have friends who constantly say they want to jump. I've given them my DZ's business card and told them to schedule their jump and let me know when it is. So far, no takers and that's ok with me. The sport isn't for everyone.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

The bigger and fatter my friends are the more likely they are to say they want to do a tandem with me. I just smile. :)

You could start a line in uber-anvils.

*this does not mean I am trying to say you are fat*

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

"Oh my god, you skydive???"
"Yeah."
"Ohhh, I've wanted to do that FOREVER!!!"
"Ok."
"Can you take me?"
"Nope, but you can make a jump if you want."
"No, I'd be to scared."
"Ok. Well, if you ever do, gimme a call."

That's as far as it goes with me. If they decide to make a jump, I'll have them go on a day when I'm jumping so I can get on the same load as them.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I have seen so many of my freinds get all worked up in the past when I brought it up and they have all said "I really want to do that". When the time comes they always have other things to do. Therefore I no longer encourage it. If they wish to try it is up to them.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

You do seem to hear 'I've always wanted to do to that' a lot, and it's a silly thing but in the back of my head there's always a little voice saying what if they go in or seriously injure themselves, so I always tell people, friends or acquaintances, how much and why I love it, but that there's always a very slim chance you might die, just as there's a chance you'll die on roads to the DZ.. but if they're really serious call me and I'll drive them there... they get to share petrol costs and I get a free jump ticket if I turn up with them ;)
but what do I know

I say "Cool, call 1-800-SKYDIVE and have a good time."

Nobody ever asks me to go skydiving. When i sold life insurance, nobody ever asked me to sell them them life insurance either.:D But they all want me to cut their grass. Then i say "I'm booked for the summer.":D

People don't want to skydive. They would rather watch golf, wrestling,NASCAR, or football on tv before doing such a living thing as skydiving.:P

I encourage my 2 best friends in Florida long time ago when I made first tandem. I have been wait for them to follow up since December till now. One of them admit being chickenass. Haha :ph34r:. I told them to take time, like I said world isn't end YET. :D
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

People don't want to skydive. They would rather watch golf, wrestling,NASCAR, or football on tv before doing such a living thing as skydiving.:P

I believe it so true, even one of my friend who love ridin' a horse so much and I rode several time on horse, but I admitted to her "Ridin' on a horse is more dangerous than skydiving since I trust a rig than a horse!" :D:D:D She decided to try tandem since she believed what I said haha
Flyin' Dawg or SkyDog

"To understand is to forgive, even oneself."

I've also heard the same old "i'd love to go skydiving" bit over and over. When they say something I will give them the suggestion of where to go and how much fun it was for me... but other than that they are on their own for setting it up. Most people are very wishy-washy when it comes to it, and I don't have the time to mess with them about it.

I love encouraging people to come out and make a jump. All of my friends have seen how happy skydiving makes me, and love it when I'm excited. Many will tell me that they are afraid and they won't go, but being around a college campus, more kids my age are willing to try it. I started jumping 7 months ago, and I've gotten 30 people to do skydives and 2 people to go through AFF. It's been an awesome experience to watch my friends jump for the first time!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

You must come to skydiving. It will not come to you.

I used to encourage my friends to come. People who were very enthusiastic about it - "yeah, I REALLY want to do that!!" Then you make plans for them, offer to drive them, work out a deal with your tandem friend to make the same jump. Then they forget, or their petunia dies, or they can't afford it, or their spiritual advisor tells them it'll upset their past lives. People are mostly talk and very little effort. I guess I'm guilty of that myself. After a while, you stop wanting to "help" people skydive - if they don't want it enough to call and schedule themselves and set aside the money and whatever else that needs to be done, then they're not going to last long in the sport anyway.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD