mcezmac

Question about windtunnel/coaching.

What do you people think? Would it be better to get an hour of windtunnel time or 15 or 30 minutes of tunnel time and some coach jumps? I only have so much money and I would like to get the most bang for my buck. Any thoughts? Thanks. Maybe this should be in safty and training. :S

I for one would suggest a little of both. I have about 1.5 hours of tunnel time which I dispersed all throughout my AFF training and subsequent A license trials. It helped a lot. Now that I am no longer nerar a tunnel I find I am missing it and it is a lot harder to progress skills in a 60 second free fall jump.

So, do a 5-15 minute block then do a coach jump or two and see how much it helped you. Make sure the coach jump relates somehow, if possible, to the tunnel practice.

This is how my coach recommended I do it and I think I benefited from it. Now, if only the midwest had a tunnel.

Don't forget, it also saves you money in the long run.

Just my .02 worth.

David

My opinion is that prefessionally coached tunnel time is the fastest way to learn and progress and the best value for the money.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I just did some flights in a tunnel for the first time this past Monday. I did five, three minute coached flights with video. I feel it benifited me tremendously. When I jump this weekend I have a feeling I will perform much better then I have. Had I not gotten all the coaching, my time in the tunnel would have been much more difficult and not as much fun.
SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP

Is there a tunnel near you? If not, do the tunnel time. You can do coach jumps in a bunch of places, but to do tunnel you need to be near a tunnel.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Make sure you also have a decent coach in the tunnel too.

As for "bang for the buck" what are your goals?

Do you want to be a better flyer? then tunnel time is great - add it in when you can

Do you just want to skydive and geek your friends? then use the money for the airplane ride instead.

What makes you happier - "playtime only" or "playtime is only fun if I get better" - there's both types in the sport and also room for both.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I say 100% tunnel time, with a coach. (Note, the coach can be a tunnel employee, but not the employee who is "spotting" the entire group. You need a guy who can sit down next to you after you are done with a 2 minute cycle and tell you what is wrong and what you are going to do next. 4 people sharing an hour can use 2 coaches successfully to save $$$)

I have had coaching in the sky and tunnel from some real good coaches (Perris Performance Plus and Airspeed worked wonders with my skill set) - and unless you are doing a 4way week long camp (24 skydives and 3 hours of shared tunnel time), I say just do the tunnel time...

I have coached 45 people in the tunnel, and about the same amount in the sky - and I understand why a world champion skydiver told me, "If it was not for the tunnel, I would have quit skydiving instruction. I was honestly burned out because the progress was so slow and expensive for students - and then the tunnel came to our DZ, and I have a whole new outlook."