skybytch

Answers to the questions I didn't ask

I've been spending a bit of time reading the forums on rockclimbing.com lately (they have a slacklining forum and rock climbing is the next thing I'm going to try). A post in their beginner's forum caught my attention because it has many parallels to how I feel about skydiving. With thanks and respect to "tenn_dawg", what follows is that post with some minor changes to reflect jumping instead of climbing...

When I look back on my first days skydiving I realize that I was concerned in all of the wrong things. I was asking questions about techniques, gear, different disciplines, and yes, shoes.

While I was asking these questions I didn't realize that I was missing what was really important about our sport. Skydiving is not about which canopy is best, which discipline is best, fashion and hype. What makes it the most incredible sport in the world is our community, our ethics, and our spirit.

I wish that I had been given answers to the questions I wasn't asking. And in my reflections here's just a few of the things I wish I would have been told 15 years ago.

Take a road trip as soon as possible to a dz other than the one you learned at. Jump all weekend, camp out, sit around the bonfire and listen.

Find the old farts in your area and listen to everything they have to say. Ignore the young guys with too much to say.

Get experience in all possible facets of skydiving. Do RW, freefly, try CRW, shoot accuracy, try freestyle, start working toward a rigger's ticket and an instructional rating.

Jump with as many different people as you can. You will learn what to do and what not to do in half the time. You will learn what you respect in a jumper and what you hate as well. Emulate the good and don't let yourself become that asshole that we all see occasionally.

It is no coincidence that the best jumpers in the world do the least talking about their accomplishments. Nor is a coincidence that some of the worst talk even if no one is listening.

Become involved in the community. Join your country's parachuting association. Donate money if you like, but it is far better to participate. Seeing the fruits of your labor, and knowing you have helped make some of the best skydiving memories. Don't complain unless you have an alternative. Don't ask for anything until you have contributed.

Karma is real. No matter what anyone says.

Learn all you can about the history of your sport. You should be on a first name basis with some of the old guys who were jumping back in the day. They will be on the dropzone. Respect them and their wishes as your own. They were in your shoes at one time, and some of them can probably still outfly you.

Never belittle someone for jumping in the fashion they love.

Find your own personal ethics early, and stand behind them. Always strive for a higher ethical standard, never let yourself be pulled down. Don't hesitate to argue your ethics around the bonfire.

Do everything you can to help other jumpers. They are your family while you pursue this sport, and this family can seem suprisingly small at times. What goes around comes around.

Enjoy every second of being at the dropzone doing something you love. You may very well be having the best time of your life. Share the experience with as many people as you can. Give as much as you receive.

And don't be that asshole...

Lisa,
What's gotten into you lately?
Your recent posts have made way too much sense, have been overly informative and have contributed greatly to keeping all of use safe and should be considered as major guideposts for all of us.

I mean, WTH?
:D:D:D

PS: Thanks, Lisa.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Do everything you can to help other jumpers. They are your family while you pursue this sport, and this family can seem suprisingly small at times. What goes around comes around.

I wish more people did that! I'm sick of the stories of people paying for coach jumps and paying the instructor's slot, etc. I have been in the plane and the total number of jumps between the 4 of us has been 30,000 or more (including my measily 60). As much as I want to skydive more, or do something else fun, I will always help when needed even if that means scratching myself off a load. People have done it for me, I will do it in return..!
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

I wish more people did that! I'm sick of the stories of people paying for coach jumps and paying the instructor's slot, etc. I have been in the plane and the total number of jumps between the 4 of us has been 30,000 or more (including my measily 60). As much as I want to skydive more, or do something else fun, I will always help when needed even if that means scratching myself off a load. People have done it for me, I will do it in return..!

I'm glad to see this mind set growing.I think it's time to shun those charging newbies for coaching jumps and show USPA that they got it all wrong.

Another great post by the skybytch, well worth reading...

I wonder what topics shall arise out of this one?

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I'm glad to see this mind set growing.I think it's time to shun those charging newbies for coaching jumps and show USPA that they got it all wrong.

I always jump with lower number jumpers. Im guilty of not as much as I used too, for a variety of reasons. I am not a coach, nor do i claim to be, but when I started skydiving and ultimately freeflying. Plenty of more advanced jumpers jumped with me, and I try to do the same.
Im always wearing a camera, so they get video too. I gladly show them and discuss if they like, hell we can even get a more advanced flier to look at it.

with a lot of up-and-coming students at our DZ i should be even more willing to help those new to the sport.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Lisa,
What's gotten into you lately?
Your recent posts have made way too much sense, have been overly informative and have contributed greatly to keeping all of use safe and should be considered as major guideposts for all of us.

I mean, WTH?
:D:D:D

PS: Thanks, Lisa.

Hey, she's a good writer! FAR better than me - I suck at putting thoughts cohesively together in writing.

I've been spending a bit of time reading the forums on rockclimbing.com lately (they have a slacklining forum and rock climbing is the next thing I'm going to try).

Well, you live in the state in the US with arguably the best rock climbing in the entire world, so I am envious. I don't envy the cues waiting to get on rock in Yosemite or Tuolumne though.

Have fun!

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I'm sick of the stories of people paying for coach jumps and paying the instructor's slot, etc.

I think it's time to shun those charging newbies for coaching jumps and show USPA that they got it all wrong.

With all due respect,

Before I became a full time skydiver and had a regular job, I would not accept anyone paying my slot, not even for shooting video of their SCR. I would pay for coaching received, their slot and pack plus tip when I needed to.

After I became a full-time skydiver? Maybe at first it was easy to cover my slot, sure, but when my savings ran out a couple years into the adventure things changed.
Now?
I just couldn’t afford even my own slot to go have a fun jump much less to coach someone. Forget it.

It’s tougher than some might think to be a full-time skydiver living on very little just to do something for a period in life they are passionate about. It is embarrassing to ask for handouts like paying my slot but I simply cannot afford the luxury of jumping much outside of work jumps. Night jumps are my favorite and I can barely ever do them because I cannot afford the 2 jump commitment.

Last time I made a night jump, it was because a friend insisted - because he said I needed to have fun once and a while and he paid my slots – it was embarrassing to me that I couldn’t afford my own slot. It would seem that this is common (living in poverty) amongst many full time skydivers I have been around.

Before you start condemning me for having to have someone pay my slot to coach them, consider the whole picture, try walking a mile in my shoes, having to beg for jumps. I take responsibility for my predicament though, because I choose to live in poverty to be a full time instructor. It is hard to stay rolling with the fun jump crowd when you are amongst the poorest of the poor demographics at the DZ.

Ya know that night jump my friend bought for me? A night jump with no responsibility but to relax and have fun might seem like no big deal but it was one of the most memorable jumps ever and I will never forget how much the generosity of my friend affected me for the better. It would not have happened if it were not for him because after 4 years of full time skydiving, I just couldn’t afford to pay my slot for a night jump. It was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me even though to him the expense was nothing, no big deal, just a couple slots, well it meant the world to me.
Thanks Eric…

And now, after 6 years of full time skydiving I am sitting at home recovering from 2 major consecutive surgeries on my spine with no income. Just the other week a small group of skydivers helped my wife and me out with a couple months of rent and a little food money. Most of them were full time skydivers and knowing how much they sacrificed from their already limited incomes to help out my wife and me, it just brought me to tears.

The kindness was despite the fact that I can sometimes "Be that asshole".
Sometimes...

We have to make it through another 10 months before I can start working again and we are somehow going to be provided for because like Lisa said:

What makes it the most incredible sport in the world is our community, our ethics, and our spirit.

It is embarrassing to admit all this in public, but that is the bottom line truth of it. Honestly, I would not change a thing - some of the most wonderful people I have ever met are skydivers. Really great friends, one of the greatest blessings in my life ever...

If you have a full time instructor at your DZ who you think highly of, maybe they went the extra mile to teach you or you learned a lot from them by looking over their shoulder, well, it just might mean more to that person than you could imagine if you bought them a jump ticket just to be nice. If they are as full of pig headed pride like I am they wont take the offer, just do it, dont take no for an answer and deep down they will never forget it.
Whenever an instructor is down with an injury, if a hand full of others just put two slots on their account per pay period, it makes all the difference in the world to that person who has dedicated a portion of their life to teach others to skydive safely.

I will never forget the generosity a handful of skydivers have extended while I am down with health issues and I cannot wait to get back to where I can contribute back to the community that has been so good to me.

Thanks for yet another great post Lisa,
_
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Definately take up rock climbing. I have been a technial rock climbing/instructor for 15+ years and have found that climbing (esp. big walls) really creates, in oneself, a high order of situational awareness and a keen eye for gear detail.

As I took my first AFF jump I found that I reverted back to my habits learned on the rock: recognize the problem, determine the severity of problem, execute solution, reevaluate situation, repeat. Fear wasn't on my mind; not doing things properly was. As it was, I did ok and had a GREAT TIME. I am on my way to getting my license.

Your skydiving experiences will serve you well, if you do decide to climb. Inasmuch as I never look at the sky the same way now after only one FF, you surely will never look at a natural rock face the same way after climbing vertical....And that shift in paradgm is a bit of all-right:$ and a whole lot of uh-huh!!!B|B|
and Karma is real. :)
Lon

Immortality can be assured through spectacular failure. - R Buckminster Fuller[:/]

BEAUTIFUL post, Lisa.

***Karma is real. No matter what anyone says.

Soooo true and especially true in a small community.

Learn all you can about the history of your sport. You should be on a first name basis with some of the old guys who were jumping back in the day. They will be on the dropzone. Respect them and their wishes as your own. They were in your shoes at one time, and some of them can probably still outfly you.

One of the "old guys" was one of my biggest cheerleaders when I was struggling in my student progression. He doesn't do a lot of freefall jumps these days (lots of accuracy jumping), so when I saw him at the DZ in a bumper suit a few weeks ago I finally took the chance to get in the air with him.

I'm glad I got a chance to jump with that orange-suited dude down at Perris before he "retired," too. :D

Find your own personal ethics early, and stand behind them. Always strive for a higher ethical standard, never let yourself be pulled down. Don't hesitate to argue your ethics around the bonfire.

This one really hit home for me. The quote "If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything" can really ring true in this sport, both in the decisions we make jumping and the decisions we make around the bonfire. Know yourself and stay true to yourself.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

...start rant

With all due respect...skydiving isn't about you, it's about me! I commend all who have given so much to to this activity.

Alot of us owe a great deal to those who simply jumped with us...so that we could learn. I hope the days of "paid coach" jumps are limited because it sends the wrong message to our new people - spend money and you will be a better (safer?)skydiver. Although this can be true in certain circumstances, it isn't really what jumping is all about, unless your paying professional coaches for teams in competition.

Going through a coach course doesn't make you a coach no more than sleeping in a garage makes you a car, or getting a teaching certificate makes you a "teacher". You are either competent to teach in a certain field or you aren't.

Every skydive you make teaches you something, whether you are with a "coach" or not. Maybe it's a little something about canopy control, wind, your equipment...something is going to be learned. Longevity in skydiving is attained by learning as much as you can, not necessarily as "fast" as you can.

I have a deep respect for anyone that tries to earn a living skydiving, but I have no tolerance torwards anyone that tries to look at skydiving with a marketing angle that goes beyond what jumping is really supposed to be. It's not supposed to be about money or membership numbers (ie Chris Needles), it's supposed to be about "me".

Thanks for a thought provoking post Lisa

...end rant

Jon

...start rant
Alot of us owe a great deal to those who simply jumped with us...so that we could learn. I hope the days of "paid coach" jumps are limited because it sends the wrong message to our new people - spend money and you will be a better (safer?)skydiver. Although this can be true in certain circumstances, it isn't really what jumping is all about, unless your paying professional coaches for teams in competition.

...end rant

Jon

Maybe there is a disconnect here I think AFFI is talking about jumping with students through their AFF and coached jumps and helping them get a license. It sounds like you are talking about "coached" jumps after a person gets a license.

Personally, I'm amazed at how people complain about instructors getting paid to risk their lives and their futures teaching students. Not that many instructors have any money but what little they have is at risk of the next student that forgets to flare and sues.

I’m a believer that it is perfectly reasonable for students to pay for quality professional education and guidance to get an A license. Once they get a license I’m happy to go teach them anything I can for free, just like people have done for me.

Blues,
Ron

PS: Why do I have to pay slot PLUS extra cash to video guys for all that 4 way video I have?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

At Gold Coast Skydivers in Mississippi none of the coachs charge for coach jumps. It's our way of giving back to skydiving. No one is paying me to have that much fun!

Every day is a great day, some are just a little better.

I will gladly pay for my slot, my coaches, and a tip or some beer for thanks. But I think some of the dollar amounts that some places are charging for coach jumps are just extortion. :o

Where do you draw the line between providing a service, and squeezing extra money out of your just off AFF students?

This was a great post btw. There is nothing that I would rather do more than sit down and listen to the old timers in the sport!!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I will gladly pay for my slot, my coaches, and a tip or some beer for thanks. But I think some of the dollar amounts that some places are charging for coach jumps are just extortion. :o

Can you give me an example? And what all does it include? Two slots, and gear rental, plus a couple of bucks for the instructor?

Where do you draw the line between providing a service, and squeezing extra money out of your just off AFF students?

You do know the ISP speaks to 8 coached jumps, right? AFF is just the first half of a student program.

This was a great post btw. There is nothing that I would rather do more than sit down and listen to the old timers in the sport!!!

Agreed!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I have a deep respect for anyone that tries to earn a living skydiving, but I have no tolerance torwards anyone that tries to look at skydiving with a marketing angle

I do not understand this statement.

If there were no aspect of skydiving as a business, how would the sport progress? If people didn't try to make money in the skydiving industry how would improvements ever happen? If there were ZERO dollars in skydiving, we would still be jumping rounds and belly reserves. There wouldn’t be a Cypress or Velocity (modern parachutes) or Wings (modern) containers or PAC's or large DZ's or articulated harnesses or nearly nekkid chicks washing the airplane and frolicking in the hot tub in Chronicles, think of every step forward this sport has taken since its infancy. If there were no money involved the sport would have never progressed, we would still be at the Pecos Parachute Center taking a $30 course jumping old army surplus equipment.

So to me, this statement is self contradictory and makes about as much sense as a circumcised dog.

The instructors are the grunts, the instructors are the backbone – they are the gatekeepers who help those who don’t think they can achieve what it is they are after, to become skydivers.

Overworked and grossly underpaid for the level of responsibility and effort required to turn ground dwellers into skydivers. Anyone who thinks that a skydiver becomes an instructor for the money they will make is out of their mind!

I cannot explain why I am personally drawn to do it.

It is a calling.

-
Mykel AFF-I10

I'm 2 jumps away from my license. I still have to pay someone to jump with me.

Last Sunday, I paid $89 for a coach jump at a "big city" drop zone. After recovering from the dizziness of the sudden pressure loss in my wallet, here's what I got for my $89:

1) A good solid hour and a half of one-on-one ground instruction with whom I later found out to be one of the best instructors in the sport. She went through the whole dive repeatedly, from the exit to deployment. When we got on the plane, I knew exactly what to do.

2) An additional half hour of video instruction going over the basic theory of body flight. It was really good.

The dive was flawless and I learned a lot on that one jump.

I almost choked when they told me the jump would cost $89, but in hindsight, I can see that I saved money by doing it.

A couple of weeks ago I made a coach dive at my local "small town" DZ and all I had to pay was the coaches slot. We talked about what we were going to do for a couple of minutes and then went up and did it. It was not as productive as the first jump, but it was good and I felt like it was well worth the money.

This sport runs on money, and that's OK. When I don't have the extra money, I stay home. When I do, I go jump. It's all good.

Ken

To me it's like anything else, we each have to make the decision of what we want to get out of the sport. I did 4 coached jumps yesterday with 3 different instructors. The first one rocked. He reminded me of all that I had stopped thinking about and gave me some great tips. I would have gladly paid $100 for that course because I learned as much as I did in any of my AFF classes. After that the next two instructors didn't focus as much on the training ahead of the jump, so maybe I didn't learn as much. But the fact is that after the first one, I had absorbed a lot so maybe there just wasn't any more room in my little brain.

On one of the jumps I landed feeling bad - I mean, glad I was alive and all - but disappointed in my performance - you only get so many jumps in a weekend and don't we all want them to each be amazing? So I went and sat on a picnic bench alone after the debrief and just played it over a few times in my head. I decided I couldn't end the day there, it was time for one more.

So the last jump I had filmed to put it all together. That video is priceless to me. Aside from the fact that the images are amazing and I can't wait to show them off - I learned more watching that skydive than I had even learned from the first instructor. I could see my body and know what it was doing and how it reacted to different movements - and how the instructors body moved as well.

So I guess what I learned is that it may seem like paying to jump with people isn't always worth it - but even the jumps that feel less-than-successful can teach you that in skydiving, each person you jump with is different and has different capabilities - coaches and hotshots alike. Whether sitting with the long-time jumpers and talking to them about jumps and (SOON) participating with them or finding out what some of the newer kids have to say. Everyone has an opinion, a perspective, and something to add - even if what they add for you is - Don't EVER Do THAT.
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!