bigmike21

AFF 6

Going for my AFF level6 today. I hear I will be doing backflips. Awesome. Any one have any tips for me?

I'm giving you the only advice I'm qualified to give: have fun!!

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

Hmm I didnt manage to go all the way round when I did mine, but remembered that arching hard is the sure fire way to get back on my front. Worked both times I tried it.

I would say get lots of power into bringing your knees up to your chest - do it all quickly. That way you might not end up on your back like I did!

They are AWESOME fun - that part is a given!

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

When I was doing backflips for the first time (don't remember which AFF level that was), I had a hard time recovering from them to a belly-to-earth position, and went through 3 or 4 of them, one after another. I remember my instructor's comments after the jump: "Hmm, looked like you were having fun -- I was wondering if you were ever gonna stop..." :D
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

Do you remember what you did? I WISH i could have got that much power into them!

Ross

I was just not extending my legs soon enough for recovery -- once you gain the momentum, you will easily flip more than once. :D I was surprised I was douing that while being stable on other axis, though...
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

Do you remember what you did? I WISH i could have got that much power into them!

Ross

Once you start the motion (backloop), if you stay tucked up, you will continue to rotate. So in the original backloop, at the point when you would arch to stop in a level position, just grab your knees and tuck yourself tighter in a ball, and you'll keep going.

NOTE: Make sure you know your starting altitude, and don't do too many. Recovering to a stable position may be a little harder than with a single backloop because you may lose track of the horizon after many flips, and may not start the recovery at the ideal point. That's OK, just arch hard and hold it, and you will stable out eventually. After a few tries, you will get the rhythm.

And change your underwear more often. It might not help your stability, but many of us out here would feel better about the whole thing. [:/]

Kevin

Damn, My level 6 did not go so well. I never got a full flip in. I would get inverted and then fall to one side. On the second one I went into a helicopter spin andB| my AFF instructor had to stop me. So he did not pass me on level 6. I tried and tried, but just could not stop my spin. When watcjing the video, my body postition flattened out and one leg was trailing causing me to accelerate my spin. Damn. I'm going to the wind tunnel this weekend to work on it.

On my AFF jumps I didn't have any trouble with the flips. But on a couple solos since then I keep coming out of the backflip too late and ending up in a sit... well, in a sit for a second before I got a little unstable and tumbled a bit before my arch got me back to normal. Oh well. I had plenty of altitude and it was fun. Something to work with the coaches on.

-Geoff
Why does it say "Append signature to post" when I don't have a signature?