matthias

AFF level 3 - borderline PASS (video)

video here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1293684235

Also starring JMs: Larry (aka Luminous from here) and Elio..not sure if he posts.
Video by Troy.

Music: Vangelis - Will of the Wind.

logbook review and personal evaluation here:
http://matthias81.livejournal.com/

Thought I'd share :) Feedback and constructive criticism always welcome.

Didn't realy look borderline to me --- a little more relaxation and you'd have been perfect.

Breathe and don't be so stiff

And good thing you were there to help Larry if he got unstable --- next time tell him to relax also he looked kind of tense:P

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

next time tell him to relax also he looked kind of tense:P

If memory serves me correctly I gave him the relax signal on the plane and sometime after the beer light came on. :ph34r:

Sort of an observation, it seemed like I tensed up after Elio redocked at the 1:43 mark, or at least it caught me offguard. Not saying he didn't have a reason to redock, but up until that moent seemed alright.

The reason it was a borderline pass was the turning and whatnot at the end, but even then I was altitude aware and waved off as soon at the needle hit 6:00. I'm confident level 4 should work alright, hopefully this weather clears up. Thanks to everyone who replied here and via PM.

Oh good. Another video for my collection of videographers who deploy without tracking from under a student.

Sorry for my ignorance, but was this wrong? The two instructors track away from each other, the student deployed, so what should a videographer do different in this scenario? The only thing I can think of is if the student cuts away. Is that it? Thanks for enlightening me on this, I want to fly camera someday.

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

Oh good. Another video for my collection of videographers who deploy without tracking from under a student.

Sorry for my ignorance, but was this wrong? The two instructors track away from each other, the student deployed, so what should a videographer do different in this scenario? The only thing I can think of is if the student cuts away. Is that it? Thanks for enlightening me on this, I want to fly camera someday.

Bob

The problem has nothing to do with the fact that there's a camera on his head (it just means we have evidence). You nailed it - the reason you want to have horizontal separation is that vertical separation isn't good enough if the top jumper has a mal.

I got a sharp lecture on this one early in my jumping career. I said "But I could see the jumper well below me when I deployed!" and was quickly disabused of the notion that vertical separation alone was good enough.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sorry for leaving that unexplained, but K pretty much summed it up. I've seen SO MANY videos of guys who just look up at the student/tandem/(ANYONE) and then deploy...and so of course I've seen video of a sniveling tandem pair pass just feet in front of a videographer. And there have been incidents of tandems falling into the vid. If a tandem has a mal, they're going to end up on level with you on deployment. If you want the shot of the canopy opening then you either backtrack or you belly fly it and then turn and track. With the tandems deploying at 5k min you have a few grand to gain horizontal separation; there's no excuse.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Doug,

No worries. Thanks for the clarification. I just want to learn. I'll take my other questions to another thread or forum, but I appreciate your response.

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

nice teamwork of the instructors, changing sides, because of the turn.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Good job! Tell Elio I said hello.

Will do. I've jumped with him the most, cool dude. His voice is almost identical to the actor that plays the foreign exchance student from That 70s Show. Maybe its just me but it never fails to crack me up.