rocketguy

Bad Reaction From a Wuffo

I like to have fun with the situation. Say things like, "I do have a death wish, but I never get what I wish for.", "Skydiving is like playing rock, paper scissors. I jump out and choose scissors, look down and see rock, quickly switch to paper, and I win. I hope I never forget to switch.", or "Two out of three voices in my head agree with you. It might be unanimous but I don't speak Spanish.".

Thanks, that gave me a good laugh during a particulary shitty day at work. I will make sure to remember these and use them as often as possible.:ph34r:

"Two out of three voices in my head agree with you. It might be unanimous but I don't speak Spanish.".

I haven't laughed that hard all week. Thanks i needed that.
As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

in reply to "I was talking to the kid's grandfather, a perfect stranger before today, and he found out that I was a skydiver. For some reason, he was downright upset and accused me of "having a death wish".

A grandfather whuffo ? in front of the kid(s)? at a kiddie birthday party ? You really go for the big ones.;)
excellent scenario for control freak dominant male clash. Looks like grand daddy held the most cards at the birthday party. With skydiving aquaintance needing putting back in line.

There are so many ways to deal with this depending on required outcome....?
saying "WOOPY-DO' kinda loud works sometimes ( and the kids would have loved it )
orrr Invite him to give a mental health lecture at the DZ on a saturday night :)

Being a doctor he has to golf wether he likes it or not. Ask him if he has a death wish too being around un coordinated jerks drunk and on golf carts wacking balls in any direction . Then ask him if he hunts being around staggering drunks with high powered rifles, safety off taking sound shots.( heard a sound and shot in that direction ). I'll take my chances in the sky with my friends and my para chute. A reply from the little old lady about flying " If God wanted us to fly we would have been born with wings. I am going to stay home and watch TV like God intended. Just dont tell me I am wrong because I dont have a Wayne Newton greatest hits CD like they do .enough said bye-bye

ahhh screw him. I don't care who knows I jump it's my life and there opinions won't change what I do.

I prefer to mess with them. I tell them I want to die doing something I love and since my wife isn't to keen for that happening during sex that leave skydiving. :ph34r:
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

"Skydiving is like playing rock, paper, scissors. I jump out and choose scissors, look down and see rock, quickly switch to paper, and I win.

Earth always chooses rock, so you should always choose paper. If you get in a battle with the paper, then switch to scissors to win. Be sure to allow plenty of time to win that battle so you can switch back to paper and defeat earth's rock.

You could name just about any type of activity, taste, or belief, and there will invariably be some asshole out there who will seek to exalt him/her self by contrasting their superior point of view to yours. Skydiving is irrelevant. Anything that attracts enthusiasts of any sort will likewise attract naysayers. You could be into golf, heavy metal, spicy foods, square dancing, bird watching, eating paste, poker, going to church, listening to NPR, crazy bowling, pre-marital sex, Tonka trucks, necromancy, spelling bees, etc., etc. ad infinitum, and there will be someone out there against you because that thing you do is too dangerous, safe, boring, scary, immoral, stupid, brainy, or whatever for them. If that wasn't also true of skydivers, there would be no such word as "wuffo".

Some people call the above phenomenon jealousy, some call it self-righteous sanctimony, I like to call it player hating (thank you hip hop culture!). You could have called him a player hater, but I doubt the old fossil would have understood. Sometimes, I think the whole human race needs some serious counseling

The glass isn't always half-full OR half-empty. Sometimes, the glass is just too damn big.

"Skydiving is like playing rock, paper, scissors. I jump out and choose scissors, look down and see rock, quickly switch to paper, and I win.

Earth always chooses rock, so you should always choose paper. If you get in a battle with the paper, then switch to scissors to win. Be sure to allow plenty of time to win that battle so you can switch back to paper and defeat earth's rock.

The joke is that skydivers are so dumb that we first chose scissors even though the earth always chooses rock and then cheat over to paper to win. ;)

"I've played chicken with the ground two times and both times the ground has won. I'm not to worried though, it's a best of five series and I know I can make a comeback."
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

The good doctor is just saying what a lot of whuffos are thinking. Each of us decides what level of risk we are comfortable with in our lives.

Don't let the fact that some people will think you're an idiot, stop you being an advocate for skydiving. Rather than worrying about the negative reactions, keep looking for the next potential skydiver. The best way to build the sport is word of mouth.

To paraphase someone else's by line: Dying is compulsory, living is optional.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

My poor mom almost had a heart attack when her friend asked me how many jumps I had done without a static line, she thought I had done less than 10 jumps all with a line attached.

Point is there are some things people should just NOT know. I prefer to just keep my mouth shut unless I know the person won't give me a hard time.

Today I was at a birthday party for a kid of a woman that my wife works with. I was talking to the kid's grandfather, a perfect stranger before today, and he found out that I was a skydiver. For some reason, he was downright upset and accused me of "having a death wish". He kept saying that he was a doctor and wanted me to see a psychiatrist to analyze my motivation or whatever.

So, basically I just wanted to vent because it got me pretty mad. But has anyone else encountered this type of reaction?

I think it is much more fun to agree with him completely and to see how far you can milk it before he realizes he is being played.

"Do you have a death wish?"

"Why, yes! Every time I jump I debate whether to hope for a malfunction or simply not open. Unfortunately, my parachute has worked flawlessly so far."

"You are insane! You should see a psychiatrist!"

"Yes, I know I am crazy. Do you think a psychiatrist could help me? I had pretty much given up hope. If you can recommend someone who can work miracles with people as far gone as me, I would be eternally in your debt."

"Actually, I am so far out of touch with reality that I am not sure if I actually skydive or just imagine that I do. I lose track of the difference between dreams and what I have actually done these days."

Just be careful that you do not actually get committed, and you should have hours of fun at his expense.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Although subject to interpretation and nitpicking, I usually go for the boilerplate,

"According to 2004 statistics, it takes 17 jumps to roughly equal in risk to driving a car for 10,000 miles". (Add quote that about 30 skydivers dies per 3,000,000 jumps, if necessary)

"In addition to that, it is, on average, doing 100 jumps a year with normal landings under my conservative gear is safer than owning a motorcycle, and much safer than climbing many mountains such as Mount Everest. While dangerous, there are a surprisingly many other things in life that is at least equally dangerous, if you take the time to learn about them."

"Modern gear makes it a legitimate sport just like mountain climbing or scuba diving. It's no big deal. There are two parachutes in my container. A main parachute and a backup reserve parachute. And I have an automatic opening device called an AAD"

"There is also an AAD, which stands for Automatic Activation Device. It essentially automatically pulls for me if I am knocked out or if I forget to pull on time. Although it's no guarantee, much like an airbag is no guarantee, it often gives many people peace of mind. Although you still should drive carefully and skydive carefully as if the airbag or AAD isn't there".

It does get more complicated (type of car, where you're driving, etc, versus type of skydiving, gear versus training and experience, etc). but as a rough guideline, it makes most people shut up. Also, it can be spun around some with a bit of spin control, such as owning a really safe brand low-powered dirtbike is safer than swooping under a VX99... But nontheless, averagely speaking, you have got to speak in WhuffoFriendly(tm) Plain English terms. And yes, I realize AAD and motorcycles and other comkparisions, would be a bad reason to get into the sport, but realize that whuffos common question about "what if it does not open", the answers above are still less "stupid", relatively speaking, than many whuffo questions are. If they skydive, they will learn the truths and complexity of it all, including choice of gear to training, etc., but simple answers like that ones I have, are ideal for those people who need a comeback for those "you're crazy" comments. As whuffos become more experienced, you can go into nuances and details such as the relative dangers of swoop landings versus tandem landings. But at the beginning, be prepared to give PlainEnglish boilerplate answers such as the above. They shut most people up; when they realize they don't have facts about skydiving to comment further.

The more tricky ones are that I know a couple of whuffos who knows a friend who died skydiving, so those are a bit tougher. This may relate to that one incident a few years ago not too far from here from before I jumped, that I don't even know much about. The response usually depends on the situation, but they can range from "The risk is still there, we all make our own choices." to things like "I know more people who have died motorcycling." Depending on how personal it is to them.

I like your attempt to use logic and reasoning. (My kind of person!) I used to attempt to use logic and reasoning with the help of statistics, risk analysis, risk management, and gear. However, I am constantly told I am crazy because I currently motorcycle, rock climb, and sky dive. I have come to the conclusion that these people think we are crazy to justify what they are doing (or not doing) and will do so independent of logic and reasoning. So have fun and act crazy!

You don't have to tell me that sky diving is crazy. You should tell my other personality though. ;)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Being a doctor he has to golf wether he likes it or not.

Hey, a guy near here got killed playing golf recently - a tree fell on him. http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20061009082631161C369565

Being off work with a jumping injury meant everyone knew about it. I got one death wish comment, to which I just replied that if I wanted to kill myself, there must be plenty cheaper and easier ways to do it.[:/]
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Despite the public’s perception, extreme sport participants require constant care, intense training, and above all discipline and control. In other words, we're not ALL crazy. Present company accounted for! ;)

that does explain my interest in public speaking... :ph34r:

its scary but for some reason I like it...

oh and to the OP... don't fret over it too much... I've dealt with both types of people outside of this sport. (fortunately fewer of the close minded people...) but personally I find the people that say... You skydive? I'd love to try that someday... then the never do far more annoying... :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

oh and to the OP... don't fret over it too much... I've dealt with both types of people outside of this sport. (fortunately fewer of the close minded people...) but personally I find the people that say... You skydive? I'd love to try that someday... then the never do far more annoying... :D

I completley agree. I must have met about 20 people over the 2 years I have been jumping who actually said they would defintley be out at the dropzone the following weekend and still never do it. I've started to just avoid the topic altogether but somehow people find out anyway and I can't help myself; I have to evangelise. lol
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

Yep, it becomes like that!

All the talk, skydiving T-shirts and putting it under 'hobbies/sports' on ever form and forum you can soon fades.

Depending on who'se asking, they either get 'yeah, went for a run and did some shopping last weekend' or 'basejumped friday night, did 12 'speedstar no lift dive' skydives on saturday and 12 more on Sunday'. Both are bollocks, but the middle ground is so dull to explain and justify! :)

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com