Skyper

Reserve activation on the door

what kind of rig is that ? HArd to tell from the video (at work). Looks like a Parachute Shop Vectra.

Thanks for the video, teaches us to not only respect our handles, but also our pins.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Aero wheels (called "Rhönrad" here - there's also a link to an English version) are really fun, but you gotta be careful when exiting, especially when doing it 4- or even 5-way. And, a well-protected reserve flap or, much better, a pop-top reserve, always is a good idea.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Touching video/story, haven't seen it before.

Good example to show to low-number ...well, all jumpers to always secure the door on jump run.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Happened to us at Brown Field. Almost tore the tail off our King Air; it's pretty amazing there weren't any major injuries. The pilots actually managed to land the plane after breaking the shear pin that connected the elevator on the damaged horizontal stab to the other elevator.

what kind of rig is that ?

Atom

Indeed it is an Atom, thanx Deyan :-)

Since I am the girl in the video a short reply.

The plan was to do a wagonwheel exit with my boyfriend. (who is actually the one pushing me out of the plane) I couldn't reach his suit whilst standing in the door, and shuffled a bit backward. While doing that, my reserve flap got wedged in the door opening. (kind of "peelded" off) resulting in my reserve activation.

And yes I am forever grateful for my boyfriend, if it wasn't for his reaction of pushing me, I think me and the others in that plane could have been a lot worse.
Grateful that it only cost me a long pretty long ride down (9000ft) and a new repack.

Oh and it was my 454th jump.

Hopefully others can learn from this.

Greetz
illona
Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

Would not have happened on Vector 3 Racer

Fixed for you ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bv_NqiT7pM

I know he did not hit his reserve pin, but the title of this thread is : "reserve activation on the door' right?!

And I'm sure that someday somewhere somebody will find the way to jam his Racer poptop cap somewhere, break both loops and end up with an open reserve on the tail of the plane :S
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

VERY Glad you're (still around and) able to reply to this thread!! :)
Also glad that its been posted for us to learn from.

When my FJC instructor briefed us on pushing someone out in such a case, and included himself in that, it really spooked me... (I'm better now ;))

Your video shows that ANYONE can be in the position to take quick/decisive action to help save the day.

Congrats to your BF for quick action.

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

~1995ish - Hartwood Harry brought a Twin-Bo back missing the right side horizontal stab when Burt "The Beech Killer" snagged his reserve handle on the front floater handle. (Handle was modified prior to the next flight.)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

"

... someday somewhere somebody will find the way to jam his ... poptop ...

Some one has already accidentally deployed a Pop-Top reserve.

This relates to Billvon's earlier post.

It happened during the late 1990s. Mickey Cottle told me about a skydiver who slammed his Reflex (Pop-Top) reserve pilot-chute against the top of the door frame, so many times and so hard that he cut the closing loop.

The closing loop was slammed between the aluminum door frame and a steel grommet.
This similar to the trick of cutting rope with a (smooth-faced) hammer and an anvil (smooth). Any time a cord/rope/etc. is tensioned, it is very easy to cut with blunt tools.

Just proves that any reserve container can be accidentally deployed if you slam it against the door frame hard enough and often enough.

I know a story for a guy who did this with his 1 pin Teardrop, that's why I said Racer poptop. My point was that unlike Reflex and Teradrop, Racer has a soft cap and 2 loops......and still they gonna find the way to f@$k it up ;)

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

>It happened during the late 1990s. Mickey Cottle told me about a skydiver who
>slammed his Reflex (Pop-Top) reserve pilot-chute against the top of the door frame,
>so many times and so hard that he cut the closing loop. The closing loop was
>slammed between the aluminum door frame and a steel grommet.

You sure that was a Reflex? Mick was on the King Air jump where we had a canopy deploy over the tail after the student slammed his Telesis into the top of the door frame so many times that he deployed the reserve. It would seem to be quite hard to do that on a Reflex unless you caught the poptop on the door and exited, thus overloading the closing loop.

But maybe there was another incident I didn't hear about.

I'm pretty sure I recognise the interior of that plane.. If I'm not mistaken thats the PH-JMP from Paracentrum Teuge in The Netherlands.

Impressive response from the guy that spotted the PC and threw her out!

My tought exactly about this beingthe PH-JMP.

And indeed one hell of a quick reaction from the second para, pushing the first one out. Things could have gotten bad real quick here

Would not have happened on Vector 3

anyone have the link to the video with the doorhandle snagging the reserve? freak-accidents probably occur with ANY rig if you look hard enough for them..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Is it correct that the rig is an OLD Atom?

I thought newer Atoms have a pin cover flap that tucks into the bottom flap -- a style that became common in the mid to late 1990's (on rigs in general) to reduce the snag hazard of the reserve top flap on may rigs.

But the video, e.g. at 35 or 43 sec, seems to show an "old style" pin cover flap, where the edge of the pin cover flap is completely exposed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That style is considered quite out of date nowadays when it comes to pin protection -- a type of rig where one has to be extra careful when moving around.

Even the tuck-in style flaps can have problems I guess? I bet a hard push against the rig & upwards on such a pin cover flap can shift it upwards and take the pin with it. Anyone have examples of such rigs having pins popped??

Is it correct that the rig is an OLD Atom?

Correct

That style is considered quite out of date nowadays when it comes to pin protection -- a type of rig where one has to be extra careful when moving around.

True! But not everyone can afford a new gear.

Even the tuck-in style flaps can have problems I guess? I bet a hard push against the rig & upwards on such a pin cover flap can shift it upwards and take the pin with it. Anyone have examples of such rigs having pins popped??

The same DZ, the same plane 10 months earlier.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3990102;search_string=incident%20teuge;#3990102

The rig then was a newer Atom with the pin cover tucked in.

My memory may be vague.

The first accident - at Brown's Field - may have included a Student Telesis (made by Rigging Innovations), but I also remember Mickey telling me about a similar incident involving a Reflex.
The Reflex accident may have occurred closer to 2000.

But the bottom line remains the same: slam any rig hard enough against a door frame and you can accidentally deploy the reserve.