inyournavl

How do I safely travel with my new rig?

Get a new bag to carry on your rig and check your carry-on bag?

There's a lot of people who will travel with their rig over their shoulder; I'm not one of them - I always put my rig in a carry-on bag and carry it on.

There's also a lot of people who check their rig. I've done it before but again, I strongly prefer not to.

Do a search on "TSA" or "traveling with rig" as this topic has been discussed a lot.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You can buy a bag for it - a parabag. I made the mistake of buying a bag too big for my rig so try find one that fits snugly. Then you can take it as carry-on. If you're a girl you're allowed a handbag too so I always take a small backpack as my other carry-on instead of a handbag :)
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

maybe... save the trouble altogether, of dealing with airport security, close quarters in the aircraft, and delays caused by TSA
.... and ship the rig to whatever DZ you plan to visit...
If you contact them ahead of time, and send it well in advance, cost for ground shipping is reasonable....
Plus.... if you're due for a reserve repack,,, make arrangements for it to be done a few days before YOU arrive....
just my $.02........:)jmy

G
There's a lot of people who will travel with their rig over their shoulder; I'm not one of them - I always put my rig in a carry-on bag and carry it on.

Amen to the discreet carry-on bag. It's the best way to get the rig on the plane. Wearing it like a backpack is inviting unwanted attention at the wrong time.

Make sure you have the AAD manufacturer's X-ray explanation card. I believe there is also a TSA document explaining their rules (parachutes are allowed on the airliner) that can be printed out and shown to the TSA bozos if they protest. It can get sticky if they want to see inside your reserve container. It appears they have a legal right to do so. There are other threads that elaborate on the info I gave you.

I've checked gear once or twice, with no problem, but that is rolling the dice somewhat.

I remember one time having to declare a checked handgun in my luggage. You certainly get some stares from the agents and people in line. The next piece of luggage I slid across the counter to them was my parachute. I certainly didn't tell them what was in that bag.:D:D

Never, never check that puppy. It is a life saving device and your best friend. I always just carry it on my back. Never had a problem and I have jumped all over USA.

OTOH, I've always checked my rig and I've never had a problem. It goes in a gear bag with a note that explains what it is and a request that they contact me at the included cell # if they have any questions or problems with it. I also make a point of handing it directly to the TSA dweeb and telling them that there's a parachute in there instead of just tossing it into the pile of bags at the xray machine.

YMMV, of course.

OTOH, I've always checked my rig and I've never had a problem.

I'm too paranoid about theft to do that, so I've always carried it on (in a gear bag). Few single suitcases are loaded with $5,000+ worth of valuables, but one quick swipe of your rig by a thief and that's what you're out.

Best way? Buy a Pelican case (indestructible, watertight) and ship it (with insurance) via Fedex.

Cheapest way? Get a bigger bag, put the rig in it and carry it on. Check everything else. Alternatively, put it in a hard-sided suitcase and check that.

For most trips I put it in a hard-sided suitcase and check the rig. No problems yet.

My rig is to big to fit in a bag that I can carry on.
The problem with checking it is that I just spent over $6000.00 on it, and don't want to let it out of my sight. I guess I will check with the air line and see if I can insure it. Maybe I will just wear it onto the plane. There must be a better way to do this, I just can't think of one right now.
It doesn't have to make sense, It's just the way things are.

My rig is to big to fit in a bag that I can carry on.

No, it's probably not - you're just looking at the wrong bags. I have carried my rig on a bunch of times with the exact same size canopies in it as yours. It is *just barely* small enough to fit in the largest legal rollaboard bag size. I have to squeeze it to get it in there, but it fits. I also have a mid-sized duffel bag that it could fit in (but given the weight of it, I much prefer my rollaboard bag). May have something to do with the shape of the bag itself or how the frame/wheels come into the interior of the bag.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I put only my rig in a carry on bag. ONLY MY RIG!

I hate having to carry the suitcase on the plane so this is what I have learned to do.

I have my rig in a bag with me going through TSA. Then when it's time to load the airplane, I put a lock on my suitcase and gate check my rig.

No hassles trying to put the suitcase in that small space for carry on luggage. Having a lock on the suitcase tells me if some baggage handler messed with my rig after I've left it for the gate check.

I've never had anyone give me a hassle doing it this way.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I believe there is also a TSA document explaining their rules (parachutes are allowed on the airliner) that can be printed out and shown to the TSA bozos if they protest. It can get sticky if they want to see inside your reserve container. It appears they have a legal right to do so.

I have also heard, when the TSA wants to open your reserve, people have pointed out the seal of a FAA certified rigger. Sometimes thats enough to get them off your case about the reserve.

Also remember that if they do want anything opened, you have the right to be there to do it.

If it comes to unpacking your reserve, ask for their supervisor (good luck with that at some airports) and try to explain (or plead) with them that there is financial loss to you for opening it. Be very courtious and offer to let them re-x-ray your rig, and do the bomb sniffer thingy (I believe thats a technical term:P) or whatever else is required.

It is all in that document and thread others have mentioned. From what I have read on this subject, travling with your rig is pretty pain free though, these are just worst case senarios.

That being said, leave yourself plenty of time to repack your main if you have to, and enough room to stuff your reserve if that gets opened >:(

BTW...I would never let $3,000-$5,000+ of my stuff out of my sight!

OTOH, I've always checked my rig and I've never had a problem.

The first time I took a rig with me I put it in a hard samonite suitcase and checked it. When we got to the destination, it was raining. My suitcase comes out all wrapped in duct tape and my sh*t was wet. Never again.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

what about iowa? i seem to recall airport personel chasing you down when you left couchfreaks...

They just forgot to do the bomb sniffy thing. Besides, there's no problem...to big to kill. hahaha

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

What's the X-ray explanation card?
Does the X-ray damage the AAD in some way or something?

The AAD looks like a bomb on X-rays (black box with wires coming out). The explanation card is so they don't take it away and destroy it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

What's the X-ray explanation card?
Does the X-ray damage the AAD in some way or something?

Contact the manufacturer of your AAD to get one. I think they're also available on their web sites to be printed out.

If your profile is correct and you are jumping a 230ft canopy, then it will probably be too big and too heavy to carry on.

Too big: not true - as noted above, I was able to carry my rig on with the same size canopies as the original poster has. You just have to get the right size/shape bag.

Too heavy: sometimes true. When flying from Canada back into the US, carry-on weight is restricted to 10kg/22lbs per bag, and I have been forced to check my rig then. Within the US, never.