skydivermom

Water training Scare

Last weekend I had a wonderful opportunity to complete my water training at Skydive Houston. I went through the instruction and was ready to climb in the harness when I freaked out. The thought of being in deep water, weighted down with a harness and having a canopy thrown on top of me frightened me to no end (and I had just jumped from a plane hours before:S). This came from a scary experience I had as a child, when I got stuck under a raft and became very disoriented.

I understand I could very well be put in a situation where I'm getting "real life" water training, and that it makes sense to overcome this and do the training while there are others standing nearby. Any suggestions on how I can work up to it?
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Any suggestions on how I can work up to it?

Well, how are you with water and pools and such without having a rig on? i.e. Are you able to get into a pool regular like and swim and not be panic'ed by the thought / act? How about trying a dry run... err... wet run in the shallower end of the pool first, say where the water isn't over your head, say about chest deap, you can jump in with the rig on, have enough water to not have to touch bottom, do your thing getting out of your harness and swimming out from under the canopy / lines, etc., but if all else fails, just "stand-up".

An excellent suggestion. Get comfortable under the canopy in shallow water before attempting deeper H2O. This is how we used to train Navy Rescue Swimmers who had difficulty [training] with parachutes in deep water and it really does help.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Why don't you try just going to a swimming pool? You could maybe jump in while wearing a pair of shorts (that you have to unbutton and unzip) over your swimsuit, stay underwater under the end of a floating mattress, take the shorts off while under the mattress, then swim to the end of the mattress and come up to the surface of the water.

This is basically how it was for me and I'm no champion swimmer. The harness was not tightened and was easy to get out of. I believe in the training we were told to loosen our legstraps and chestrap when are getting near to landing in water so we can get out easy. In my training class:

1) we got in the harness (this was at a public pool).
2) we jumped in the pool and the instructor and a volunteer (another of the students) then lifted the canopy over our heads
3) we got out of the harness (took 5-10 seconds If I remember correctly) and then swam out from under the canopy - maybe 5 feet if that.

It was more mundane than I thought it would be.

Since I don't know you, I don't know how strong your swimming skills are. I grew up as a pool rat, so mine are good. Can you tread water well in deep water? If so, you should be able to pop your head out of the water high enough to keep even a wet canopy "tented" enough to give you plenty of air to breathe. I also suggest, if you have any ability to choose what canopy you train with, that you train with a light-colored canopy that will allow more light to pass through, providing you with a slightly less claustrophobic experience than if you used a dark canopy.

Also agree with suggestion you start out in shallow water, and then work your way deeper.

I'm definately no stranger to water. I live by a lake and spent most of my summer in it. I'm not afraid of deep water and am a pretty strong swimmer. It's just the thought of being in a harness and having something over my head.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

It's really not too bad. You're small like me, so you would've just slipped right out of the harness like I did.

I loosened up the straps a hair and then hopped in, slid right out of the harness and then just swam forwards under water to escape the canopy... Steve and Jeff couldn't catch up with me to get the canopy over my head B|

I failed my water training the first time too. I couldn't make myself jump in because I have a phobia of getting my head under water. I didn't find that out until I jumped into the pool the week before as practice. I almost inhaled water in my panic. I couldn't stop shaking for hours afterwards.

It took me six weeks of forcing my head under water to get over the phobia. In the beginning it was for two seconds. By the end of six weeks, I was jumping off of the diving board into the water.

The actual water training was wearing a jumpsuit and shoes. I was surprised at how easy it was to get the harness off. The hardest part was getting it over the shoes, but I did fine. Instead of diving down and out from under the canopy, I found a seam and followed it to the edge. I had no trouble breathing under the canopy.

I'm glad that I did it. It was educational and empowering. I'm now confident that I could handle landing in water.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I'm glad that I did it. It was educational and empowering. I'm now confident that I could handle landing in water.

Good on you Jen for having the perseverance and will, to overcome such a major phobia!

Question not directed at Jennr8r....

Does anyone actually DO water landings anymore as training or to show competence IN water landings?

Just curious...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Does anyone actually DO water landings anymore as training or to show competence IN water landings?

Just curious...

Well way, way back I had to do a real water jump for my water training. It scared the shit out of me. I was out of that harness so fast and into the boat, that the crew in the boat had a hard time lifting the canopy out of the water. I stood in the boat and refused to get back into the water to help them:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Just curious...

Well way, way back I had to do a real water jump for my water training. It scared the shit out of me. I was out of that harness so fast and into the boat, that the crew in the boat had a hard time lifting the canopy out of the water. I stood in the boat and refused to get back into the water to help them:ph34r:

I did too...B|

No fear on my part though.:)

I've always been a good swimmer, ever since I beat out a couple million 'other' round heads to the egg!;)

I had the required water landing training, never landed in the water...

I guess that's what I'm asking.

How can having the 'required water landing training'

and

'never landed in the water...'

go together in a sentance? :S

that's like logging simulator time as P.I.C.
:P

Good on you yamtx73 for wanting to give it a shot!B|

The required water landing training for a B just requires you to swim out from under a canopy and out of the harness... we used a swimming pool for this. Personally I think it would be kinda fun doing a real water landing...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...