chaoskitty

Your biggest challenge?

My biggest challenge was to be out there throwing down 180deg riser turns and never being able to come out consistently on the deck. Further to this was a very experienced canopy pilot friend taking me aside and saying "dude, go back to 90's" that hurt the ego a lot but now that i have i'm getting longer, faster swoops than ever. And i'm learning more about swooping each one.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I visualize my ideal landing pattern before I get on the plane. That can change with the spot and with other traffic in the pattern and you have to deal with that as it comes, of course.
What else helps you with your setup?

talking with other people and realizing what they are flying and watching them while I am on the ground to realize what they are doing and hten most of all once I am under canopy trying to keep my head on a swivel

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

well that and figuring out how to jump a lot more with a whuffo girlfriend....

Yes.. best of luck!! ;)

I keep thinking of cutting away cause of it

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Patience... I'm on my student progression, getting through it nicely whenever I get the chance to get to the dropzone and the weather is playing nice, but all I can think about is jumping with other people, being able to do what I want on a jump without a JM checking on me and trying new things. Sigh... only 5 more jumps to go!!!

It is always amazing to me when people ask me to jump with them.

I am very outgoing and happy most of the time, once I am settled down. Unfortunately, I don't always make it on to the DZ. Sometimes I get there, sit in the car a few minutes and leave. I get so mad at myself.

I have been putting myself in situations were I need to overcome this fear most of my life. I can usually do ok but sometimes it wins.

What is your biggest challenge regarding this sport, and how do you plan to overcome it? Or if you already have, how *did* you?

Biggest challenges: financial situation

Plan to overcome it: patience and perseverence

Inconsistency. One weekend = Awesome. Next weekend = knucklehead.

Answer = Relax, have fun. Dirt dive at home. Less pressure on self.

Definately jump more. At some point with more experience my mistakes (I hope) will get smaller and occur less often. Even if they don't, I'll be having fun.

MH

My challenge is Social Phobia.

I have a difficult time with people I do not know. This is something that I have had since childhood.

When I first go to a new DZ I have to keep reminding myself that I am safe and that I can leave anytime I want to. It is not that I think anything is going to happen but my heart races and I get very anxious when I go to new places.

I get over this by taking deep breaths before I start, and just go. I have never had anything bad happen to me, it is just an unrealistic fear.

Frequently I make an appointment with someone there so I have to go. Once I an there and have a few minutes to get over the fear I am fine.

I think there are more people out there like that than you think.

some of us just handle it different. and some of us just go at it full throttle to prove "them" all wrong.;)

my biggest challenge is balancing school, as I am a full time college student, and a raging passion for the coolest thing ive ever done, skydiving. I have and will always will get good grades but skydiving for sure has cut into studying time and ive only been jumping a few months.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

Definately jump more.

Yep, that helps.

At some point with more experience my mistakes (I hope) will get smaller and occur less often.

They'll get smaller, but they won't happen less often - you'll just be able to fix them before many people notice they've occurred :P.

Even if they don't, I'll be having fun.

And, after staying safe, that's the most important part :)

Getting on the plane and riding to altitude.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I hate the plane ride. I'm nervous as can be the whole ride up. I'm slowly starting to relax a bit, but it still freaks me out.

And it is such a sweet plane. :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Improving my skills. My home dz is very small, with few senior jumpers. Coaching, learning new skills, and pushing my knowledge has always been a challenge. Initially, I went to boogies and skills camps. This last year, I got on a 4-way team. Now I find myself one of the senior jumpers at home, which is preposterous because every day I see just how much I don't know. So I'm moving and will live near bigger, better dz's where there are people much more knowledgeable and skilled than me.

My other big challenge is finding the patience to wait for my new rig. [:/] I'm going nuts knowing it's so close, but not quite in my eager hands yet. Soon, so very soon...

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Stand-up landings. Even though I land nice, and gentle...I did have one hard ground smack on my second or third jump, that made me worry about my legs braking. So I sort of let my legs crumple a bit at touch down, and curse when I do.

this pisses me off! but I'll learn.:)

Canopy Control: In the beginning of my skydiving (within my first 16 jumps) I broke my ankle on one jump and ran into a tree on another jump. I was also not standing up any of my landings and was extremely frustrated.

Since then, I have taken two canopy control courses taught by Scott Miller and have jumped in all types of conditions and I am now able to land my canopy where I want in different wind conditions and stand them up! I also have done lots of hop n' pops from altitude and from 5,000 to gain some more canopy time to practice.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

My biggest challenge is trying to figure out how i can convince my wife to sell all our properties so that we can travel the world for 20 years, so far she's not buying it [:/]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>After reading your other recent post I figured it was body position at pull time (8 line twists)

That's become a running joke at the DZ. Whenever a packer packs someone a mal, whether it's for a newbie or Dan BC, the immediate response is "it must have been body position!"

My challenge is Social Phobia.

I have a difficult time with people I do not know. This is something that I have had since childhood.

When I first go to a new DZ I have to keep reminding myself that I am safe and that I can leave anytime I want to. It is not that I think anything is going to happen but my heart races and I get very anxious when I go to new places.

I get over this by taking deep breaths before I start, and just go. I have never had anything bad happen to me, it is just an unrealistic fear.

Frequently I make an appointment with someone there so I have to go. Once I an there and have a few minutes to get over the fear I am fine.

I think there are more people out there like that than you think.

some of us just handle it different. and some of us just go at it full throttle to prove "them" all wrong.;)

You call it "full throttle" others call it "ludicous speed"! :D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Reconciling the inherent dangers of this sport but more so the toll that a catastrophic injury/death to myself would take on my family and friends and girlfriend, with my unyielding desire to jump. Its not so much what would happen to me if I died, but what the effect would be on those in my life. Its sometimes hard to call and schedule a jump when I take a step back and look at the very real possibilities of this sport, and the finality of one jump. However, I do weigh the consequences in my mind quite often, and I just called yesterday to schedule another jump, so I guess I'm on my way.

Ryan

Ryan,
seriously give it your all....you WILL over come that problem. I have had many of those jumps where, while seeing the door open, have said in my mind "you don't HAVE to do this...nobody is MAKING you do this....you've done it already, and shown that you can overcome fear, so why DO it again?! " and so on.... lol

It gets better. A LOT easier to reconcile the risks. And SO much easier to step out into the void! B|