bdrake529

Martial Arts for Skydiving

I've recently ended 5 and a half years of studying traditional Japanese martial arts (budo). My goals for martial arts training have changed and I want to try a new direction. I'm currently "shopping" for a new style to pursue.

I'm also a new skydiver (started jumping in February) and I'm hooked. I want to do this for the rest of my life.

Are there certain styles of MA that would directly contribute to my progress as a skydiver? I'm sure all MA can have a general impact, what I'm looking for is specific correlations.

For example, I'm not very flexible. The arts I've been studying required minimal lower body flexibility. As I watch expert freefliers, freestylists, and skysurfers, I've observed demonstration of effortless mobility, balance, full-body control, and flexibility. To put it bluntly, I want that (and I'm willing to work for it).

I'm going to check out a capoeira school this week as what I've seen of that art lead me to believe it can contribute to the goals I've expressed above. But I'm curious if anyone here has any personal experience with the potential symbiosis of martial arts training and skydiving.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Drake

Agreed, and I do take advantage of coaching, both in the air and in the tunnel.

I'm mainly interested in how MA can give me an ideal skydiving body (mind-body connection too). Obviously, skydiving training is what will make me a good skydiver, but I'll always reach limitations if my body isn't properly conditioned.

One example that inspired this line of thought is learning that Jeb Corliss studied high-board diving to take his BASE technique to the next level.
Brian Drake

I think Tai Chi might help flexibility...in the more advanced stages. You could also try Yoga and/or Pilates.

In my experience T'ai Chi will help with flexibility in the less advanced stages too.

It's about being soft and relaxed which is a good thing in the sky.

Yoga or Pilates I'm sure would help as well, but can't speak from experience.

Hope that helps.:)
but what do I know

In my opinion if you want a style that promotes flexability Tae Kwon Do is hard to beat. Especially traditional TKD. The focus on kicks and kicks to the head tends to get most TKD folks stretching and working on it. As a 9th degree once said to me "if someone can only kick waste high, they don't deserve to be a black belt, infact they don't deserve to be a brown belt."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think Tai Chi might help flexibility...in the more advanced stages. You could also try Yoga and/or Pilates.

I think Tai Chi does more for skydiving than flexibility. It is all about controlling energy which is what skydiving is about, controlling the energy of the air. I think the soft style is better than a hard style too for control of the air too - one can't fight the air and win but one can fineness it and win. Just one man's opinion.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Hi, I used to do pilates and think it's great for general conditioning and will certainly help with skydiving. It's all about 1. stretching, it elongates your muscles, 2. slow lateral breathing leading to optimum oxygen intake and 3. every exercise focuses on core stability, great for every move you'll ever make in the tunnel and sky. Hope this was of some help:)
Fear is Temporary, Regret is Forever!

www.myspace.com/byasa

Is that grandmaster Kim?

The reason i ask is because you said 9th degree and you were talking about TKD... I was sure grandmaster kim was the only 9th degree black belt TKD in texas. Just currious as i have read alot about this man.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I'm not familiar with your martial art style, but I knew a guy who was a black belt in karate and he had problems relaxing in freefall, until he met an experienced skydiver who was also a black belt. After one jump observing my friend, he flat out asked him if he was a martial artist. Yup... Thus the experienced guy taught him how to relax in freefall, and his skills improved tremendously.

just throwing out my 2 cents... :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have been training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about a year and that has at least one thing in common with skydiving. You must have total body awareness to be able to control yourself, your opponent, and to not get caught with a choke or submission. I don't know if it has helped my skydiving game any, but I absolutely love BJJ..

If you want a style that promotes flexibility, Tae Kwon Do is hard to beat.

Agreed...TaeKwon-Do focuses mainly on your core and lower body. I think it’d be most beneficial. Personally, I like kickboxing. It’s simple and effective if you just want improve strength, balance and awareness. Stretching will increase flexibility.

Capoeira is fantastic - give it a try. I did aikido to a very high level, karate, kickboxing and judo a little bit, but i had most fun doing Capoeira. if you have some gymnastic background it helps because there is a lot of flexibility and upper body strength involved
Never try to eat more than you can lift

i have trained in bjj, kickboxing, boxing and traditional jj. the best for me is bjj, as you can train till your hearts content, and not pick up the light head aches from boxing, or the bruised shins and feet from kicking people. this lets you get on and do anything else in the week without nurseing injurys. so you never miss a week end of jumping

So you want Karate?!

copoeira is great, while your at it though seriously take up breakdancing, the two for the most part go hand in hand, I learned to do combo moves and my balance and flexibilty is pretty damn good, i just recently learned how to do a flare/barrel roll, flare/ hand spin combo. looks frickin awesome on tape.
Fly it like you stole it

Nice thread.
:)
I used to train Judo years ago and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu until last year and then started to skydive; I never thought I could be so flexible, due to few accidents and knee injuries I had, but I realized I have a nice arch since my first jump.
I even thought about complementing my BJJ training with "new sport", but I started to get lazy and didn't want to train anymore.
I still spar once in a blue moon and whenever I have a chance -if the weather is crap outside- I might stop by few tournaments and take some pictures for organizers and friends; but anyways, I do think that if I was still training constantly, skydive would bring much more flexibility to my game than vice-versa.

I would love to try Yoga though;

and speaking of Capoeira... yeah! go for it!
it's good and lots of fun!

blue skies,

Keka
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

i wouldent say capoeira and breakdancing go hand in hand, heh.. there are stories (with basis) of breakdancing having its origins rooted in capoeira but i'd say they are only very similar to the untrained eye.

capoeira stresses spacial and physical awareness, as well as cunning and flow.

i'd check it out if you get a chance. there are a few good groups in the bay area, pm if you would like some more info.

I have a friend instructor in some karate discipline, blackbelt in ninjitsu, and instructor in traditional jiujitsu (japan style)...
For his advanced levels in jiujitsu he told me they have it divided by Earth, Water, Wind, and Fire...
He told me that part of training for the fire level he had to walk thru hot coals. For the wind level he did tandem jumps. Not sure about the earth level. And the water level he said it was easy cuz hes been surfing for like 20yrs...
He talked about something like adapting the body and mind to the flow of the energy that was coming (relative wind) or some crap like that. So I guess its a lot about body awareness and mind control. I think both are good for skydiving.

its called seibukan jiujitsu
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

capoeira stresses spacial and physical awareness, as well as cunning and flow.

hey break dancing does that too if your any good at it and take it seriously like going to competitions or on camera. the few comps ive been too definitely required alot of quick thinking and stamina.
Fly it like you stole it

There isn't going to be a direct carryover because of the rule of specificity. Basically if you want to be good at skydiving you have to skydive not surf. If you want to be good at basketball you play basketball not baseball. There are things you can do to supplement your skills and attributes but you're not going to continue to increase your skydiving skills without lots of skydiving.

That being said, anytime you can increase your ability to control and manipulate your own bodyweight you're going to be better off. Gymnastic type skills will help you with most things. As far as martial arts, the grappling arts are my top vote. BJJ, wrestling, Greco, etc. They're alive arts which pit you against a resisting opponent. Not katas and punches in the air that are worthless. There were some votes for TKD and Karate, my advice is to stay clear. I wasted years studying traditional martial arts only to get my ass kicked by someone that knew basic boxing. Choose an art that pits you against a resisting opponent in full contact contests and your skills will increase dramatically.