WooHoo

Jumping with shades.

I was putting on my gear and discovered I had left my goggles in my hotel some miles away. No problem I thought I shall wear my sunglasses which have a fitting to secure them tightly around the head.

As we are coming up to jump run I am thinking 'hey no steamed up goggles" they fitted good and I was a happy bunny.

I was doing a two way with a buddy first 20 seconds all seemed good then they started to rattle around and do everything they could to dislidge themselves. went to belly and kept my head downward and that stopped the problem. I landed jumped in my car and went and got my goggles.

So apart from a snug fit, any brands to suggest or advice to give.

I won't jump with someone wearing shades. I cant see their eyes which is the primary form a communication in freefall. i do rw but I know free flyers have a different opinion. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

>so, you can communicate more using your eyes than you can using
>your arms and hands can you?

Definitely. It's how we key and how we communicate things like "slow down" or "we busted that last point." During RW, your arms and legs are busy doing other things (like flying and taking grips.)

I'd love to jump with shades, and most of my friends do, but the times that I have used my Ryder's with a geek strap, there's always been a bit of movement or a shift of the glasses in freefall that has caused me to break concentration from what I was doing and focus on keeping the shades on my face. That's pretty dangerous. I don't want to worry about my shades when I'm falling 120+ mph towards earth . . . I'll stick to my SORZ . . . they are comfy and not too bulky or ugly.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

so, you can communicate more using your eyes than you can using your arms and hands can you?

Yep, especially so when I am using my arms to fly and my hands to take grips.

Eyes are very expressive and and by looking in someones eyes you can tell a lot about what they are thinking.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I won't jump with someone wearing shades. I cant see their eyes which is the primary form a communication in freefall. i do rw but I know free flyers have a different opinion. ;)

yup - I think as VRW takes hold, this will be even more obvious to all skydivers

however, I'm not impressed with someone jumping in sunglasses, but I won't skip a fun jump just because of their eyewear choices.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Because you generally wear a full-face helmet and you can't see the guy screaming at you: "hey moron, you took the wrong grip" in his open face helmet.

Eyes are very expressive and and by looking in someones eyes you can tell a lot about what they are thinking.

I agree with you there to a degree, but it also really helps that I am able to scream at someone in freefall and get my point across, particularly when I am gripped on them. Anyway, your argument is only partially relevant.

LOL

so, you can communicate more using your eyes than you can using your arms and hands can you?

Yup, I can. I'm beginning to get the feeling that you are just on here to troll the forums. This will be my last reply to you because you are probably enjoying all the attention. :S

Edited to add: I won't jump with shades unless the other jumpers I am with don't mind. With that being said, I haven't found any good shades yet to jump with. B| maybe in the summer I will look harder.
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

I agree with you there to a degree, but it also really helps that I am able to scream at someone in freefall and get my point across, particularly when I am gripped on them. Anyway, your argument is only partially relevant.

And you don't agree that without sunglasses it would be even better?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Because you generally wear a full-face helmet and you can't see the guy screaming at you: "hey moron, you took the wrong grip" in his open face helmet.

What? I can't hear you. Your shades are on! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I wear the shades on Tandems and Solo's.

The Tandem is not "my" skydive and in the video they don't need to see my "understanding" but the Students fun and understanding.

Solo's, well shit it is a solo!

For Coach, AFF, RW (small and large) clear lensed Factory Diver in custom blue base and flames paint job! (I wonder where the idea hit me? Opa.. Opee.. some dude in Bama had a helmet and..)
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

And you don't agree that without sunglasses it would be even better?

Sure, so long as you agree that you would have a easier time communicating in freefall if you didn't have a doghouse on your head. :ph34r: What you lose by wearing that full-face most of the time, you gain by not wearing dark glasses under there. What I might lose on some jumps by wearing my Gatorz, I gain by my ability to "talk" to people. It's a fair trade.

FWIW, I do own one full-face helmet; an original Factory Diver. I will never, ever wear that thing with a shield on though. If I need O2 I will wear my Gentex and a proper mask.

Chuck

Amber lens Gatorz with an open face helmet.. comfy sunglasses that allow others to see my eyes.. and my face as I'm yapping to them about "ARCH".. or smiling an encouraging smile which sometimes is the best tool I got. B|
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

I study nuclear science
I love my classes
I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses
Things are going great, and they're only getting better
I'm doing all right, getting good grades
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades

I've got a job waiting for my graduation
Fifty thou a year -- buys a lot of beer

Well I'm heavenly blessed and worldly wise
I'm a peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes

I study nuclear science
I love my classes
I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses
I gotta wear shades, I gotta wear shades

I won't jump with someone wearing shades.

Did you learn this from Not Fuckin' Mike?
:P

I have a particularly fond memory from a 4-way RW jump this summer. We turned for a point, and lost two of the team. I don't remember exactly what happened, but in one look, my team mate said 'Whatever the hell just happened, it was going so well, looks like like it's just us now, any idea where they are? Guess we'll just hang here and wait, lets present so they can take grips if they come back, oh well shit happens.' One moment of eye contact. It was a great moment.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

So you woudnt jump with me? I wear shades...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+