LouDiamond

You don't see that everyday..

I'm talking about a 9000 sq ft ram air canopy capable of holding 30k lbs being PRO packed. The D-bag alone weighs a mere 300 lbs and the control lines require 700 lbs of force to flare the canopy. The slider was incredible, made out of an incredible looking material and consisting of 5 joined pieces,each big enough to easily cover an RV. Going to get to see it in action next week. I can't wait to see something that big in the sky coming in for a landing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm talking about a 9000 sq ft ram air canopy capable of holding 30k lbs being PRO packed. The D-bag alone weighs a mere 300 lbs and the control lines require 700 lbs of force to flare the canopy. The slider was incredible, made out of an incredible looking material and consisting of 5 joined pieces,each big enough to easily cover an RV. Going to get to see it in action next week. I can't wait to see something that big in the sky coming in for a landing.

.... more, tell me more goddamnit!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

That's practically a soft winged aircraft.

When these hit the civilian world it's gonna kick ass to take a balloon to 10,000ft then deploy that with another basket attached THEN jump from it at 5,4 and 3,000 ft.:D
My photos

My Videos

What is this canopy used for?

Oh yeah, and even if the test is successful, it didn't happen until video and pictures get posted in this thread.

Its used for safely dropping 30k lbs of what ever you want;) As for pictures and video, all in due time

:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

With a 3.3 wingloading, I bet that thing has a great swoop...

Does the system that pulls the control lines also pull the front risers for a 360 hook?

Using the X-38 figures I calculate a 2.4 WL.

18,000 lb payload/7500 sq ft = 2.4 wing load

That would probably give you about a 2000' swoop.

I have a friend who was involved in some of the testing for canopies that large. He has a rather impressive story about a total malfunction (if I recall correctly it was a failure of the AAD) and the resulting crater caused when the test load impacted at terminal. I have no idea how fast terminal is for a 30,000 pound pallet, but the impact energy has got to be a lot like an airstrike. Reportedly, the soil underneath the impact was so fractured that it took on a shaving cream-like consistency.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm talking about a 9000 sq ft ram air canopy capable of holding 30k lbs being PRO packed.

Strong Screamer or something else?

I can't wait to see something that big in the sky coming in for a landing.

It'll be even more interesting when the 60k pound truck decides to use it, against the advice of the loadmaster, because "he doesn't know my skills."

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Here they are, a few quick shots of the chute while being packed. With over 5 miles of suspension line averaging 90+ feet in length from attachment point to the riser mechanism, there is a lot of everything to deal with.If you think it looks big in the pictures then you would really be impressed with it in person as it really is amazing to see a typical ram air canopy at this scale.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING