negativeblue

Low Braking???

On saturday I made jump number 13. I've been experimenting and trying to learn as much canopy control as possible (of course within reason for the number of jumps I have). I weigh 150 and have been jumping a 209. Trying to get more accurate landings, I've been doing braked approaches. I've stood up all my landings except 1.

Saturday, at about 100-150 ft I did a full break for a few seconds, something I'd usually been doing. After landing fine, an experienced jumper yelled at me and told me I could have fallen out of the sky. I told him I'd done it before and knew that I had to release brakes soon enough for me to gain enough forward speed for flaring, but he told me never to do that again.

Am I wrong in attempting to brake so close to the ground? I understand that someone could get seriously hurt if they stalled or didn't flare properly.

Being at the dz so much, I realize that all experienced people treat all new people like they know nothing (better safe than sorry, i guess?) and can't think or learn by themselves (and, i agree, a lot can't), but are there any other ways to prove my knowledge and understanding of the basic principles besides getting a D license?

I certainly understand that I've got much more to learn. So... I guess that's why I'm hoping you guys will be more understaning and reasonable.

Soo..... Basically I'm asking...

Is full breaking at 100-150 ft weighing 150 with a 209 sq ft canopy something I never should have thought of? Could the canopy just collapse all of a sudden?

Any advice is appreciate.. Thanks

www.skydawgs.com

I told him I'd done it before and knew that I had to release brakes soon enough for me to gain enough forward speed for flaring, but he told me never to do that again.

Have you talked to your instructors about this? How about the S&TA or the head instructor? Start there, no matter what you read here on DZ.com!

The brake surge approach is an advanced technique. Its sort of like a student doing a 90deg riser carve onto final...its just not the smartest thing.

Learn how to proper fly your canopy at full flight, then move on, you need the basics before you can move to the advanced. Otherwise, in the future the lack of the basic skills could very well get you very hurt or killed.

A .8:1 wingloading isn't that unreasonable for your skill level, I'm willing ot bet as you fix your basics you could downsize to a 1:1 wingloading, which you may find more enjoyable. But first, the basics.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The Jumper was right for being concerned but wrong for his technique of yelling at you. AggieDave is correct do this technique under the supervision of an instructor who is experienced at it too.

Braked approaches is "usually" for Accuracy and Demonstration Jumpers (at least to the extent you mentioned.

Seek advice and have fun.
Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

...an experienced jumper yelled at me and told me I could have fallen out of the sky. I told him I'd done it before and knew that I had to release brakes soon enough for me to gain enough forward speed for flaring

Yeah, but have you done it and had a rotor catch your canopy at the same time? Sometimes, we don't have time to educate you and can be a bit blunt. He had his reasons and they are good ones. Get with the local Instructor or S&TA and learn how come it's not a good idea for awhile.

Can I suggest you download BillVon's downsizing checklist and start practicing those manuevers up high. That'll put you way ahead of the power curve of that of your peers (p.s. do them outside the landing area).
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

what's up buddy,

first off, before you read any advice I have to give, look at how many jumps I have and take it how you may.

Ok, i've been playing hard w/ my canopy since I hopped under a turbo-Z 165 at 14 jumps, later, after a feet dragging the dirt, adrenaline-giving downwind landing sunset jump, I cranked up to a saber 170

I'm now getting progressively lower with my 90 degree riser landings and etc. anyway, my point in telling you all of this is that I am progressing quickly because I'm challenging myself, which it sounds like you're trying to do.

being in brakes before landing is an excellent way to be accurate with your target and stalling that big of a canopy is near impossible (I've tried wrapping the brake lines around my wrist and everything to stall a canopy of that size) HOWEVER, when I come in to make a landing and I'm in full brakes, I make sure I start my brakes at atleast 2 to 3 hundred, because I'm so inexperienced. If you pull toggles down too hard (especially w/ moving to a smaller canopy) you could very well stall it. besides that, you have ground winds, rotors, all that stuff to think about.

something I made the mistake of is getting overly confident with something that isn't safe, but worked for me a good 10, 12 times (freefly stuff w/ other newbies) make sure you keep that in mind, just because it worked, doesn't mean it's safe.

something you may want to try is starting your full brakes really high (500 or so) and flying a good, confident landing pattern, this'll greatly improve your accuracy. Let up at 50, let her drop!

It sounds like you're comming along just fine, Listen to the instructors, they know what they're talking about, but try not to take their anger and yelling to heart, I got screamed at for making a 2 way head down at 20 jumps with another jumper that just turned 100. He's right, that was really unsafe, so I took his advice to heart, but not the anger..

He's angry because he's worried for your safety :)

BE THE BUDDHA!

something I made the mistake of is getting overly confident with something that isn't saf***

Dude, you're right on. No disrespect, but that sentence sums up your whole post.[:/]

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Wow. Just wow.

Good luck staying alive...

Yeah, no kidding, Dave.... 90-degree turns at 45 jumps?! Sheesh.

Skyhighkiy, I stronly recommend a few hundred jumps and an immdeiate round of canopy coaching from Scott Miller or the west coasters before giving out that kind of info. You're a crater waiting for a grid reference at this point in time. :|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

What was buried in skyhigh's description of trying to kill himself was what the experienced jumper was probably worried about ... stalling the canopy. You probably can't stall your student canopy without doing some special things I'm not going to tell you about. But, most non student canopies will stall if you pull the brake lines all the way down and hold them. Knowing the difference between where the canopy is in full brakes and where it stalls is a very important thing to figure out for EACH canopy your jumping. It may be as high as your shoulders or as low as your thighs.

When you move to your own or a non student canopy and do the same thing (pulling the brake lines all the way down?) you may end up falling that last 100' to your back.

But, brakes are good things. And not enough people use braked approaches. Just be sure your experienced enough and know the canopy well enough not to stall it at 100' For now, talk to your instructors but half brakes will make the people on the ground more comfortable.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

But, brakes are good things. And not enough people use braked approaches.

Wouldn't a properly planned pattern be a better idea in almost every case? I mean, why fix an approach if it's not broken? Also gotta be careful not to overshoot on no wind/downwind landings. Brakes aren't going to steepen your approach in those cases, but rather flatten it. Just sounds like a bad habit to get into, to me. I'm sure it's a good skill to learn for landing in tight spots, but not something to use on every landing.

Dave

Wouldn't a properly planned pattern be a better idea in almost every case? I mean, why fix an approach if it's not broken? Also gotta be careful not to overshoot on no wind/downwind landings. Brakes aren't going to steepen your approach in those cases, but rather flatten it. Just sounds like a bad habit to get into, to me. I'm sure it's a good skill to learn for landing in tight spots, but not something to use on every landing.

Depends on the canopy and how it's trimmed. A little brakes, a little float is typical. A lot of brakes, a little pop up, then sink. IMHO, accuracy approaches aren't hazardous, but learning to do accuracy approaches can be. I'm glad to see someone exploring all the regimes of their canopy. Without being there, I can't really say if it was dangerous or if someone just overreacted. That person could use some coaching from someone who knows how to do acccuracy approaches. It is a great skill for landing in tight spots. It's kept my a#$ out of the trees. but to use it well, it has to be practiced.

All due respect, man...I'm gonna stand w/ PilotDave and Frency68 (Nick, you jump w/ Mike B, right?) on this one.

something I made the mistake of is getting overly confident with something that isn't safe

Frenchy68:

"Dude, you're right on. No disrespect, but that sentence sums up your whole post."

Sorry, dude, but you sound like me...and at 50 jumps...

I'm now getting progressively lower with my 90 degree riser landings and etc. anyway, my point in telling you all of this is that I am progressing quickly because I'm challenging myself, which it sounds like you're trying to do.

That outright scares the shit out of me and I'm certain a few other people around here.

Now, I don't want to read this out of context, but "progressively lower w/ my 90 degree riser landings"...well, that just sounds to me like you're lowering your set-up point. Care to guess that that's probably not the way you should be going about it? I'm not going to tell you what is the way to go about it, because frankly, I'm not qualified to do that. I'll just tell you that there are other, more efficient and safe ways to do it.

I can also tell you that if you continue on the path that you're on, you're likely to end up in the corner like I did. You might not be as lucky to make it back to the DZ on crutches that night to fill out your own incident report, talking to friends who are eyeing you in disbelief when you tell them that you didn't break anything.

You know how experience comes from bad judgement? Well, use mine instead of searching for your own.

Now for the advice I will offer, should you choose to continue down this path so early on in your skydiving internship (you haven't begun your 'career', yet):
1.) Get Brian Germain's book: The Parachute and Its Pilot, available at http://www.bigairsportz.com/publishing.php
2.) Get proper, qualified coaching.
2a.) When they say wait a while and won't coach you until 'X' jumps. Listen to them, back off the HPLs for a while and go back when you really are ready.

Learn from others' experience, it's a lot less painful.
-C.

What was buried in skyhigh's description of trying to kill himself was what the experienced jumper was probably worried about ... stalling the canopy.

This is what I got out of it, as well. You probably won't be able to stall that student canopy, but this is a bad habit for your next main. At least for awhile. The other problem, of course, is the extra speed after releasing the brakes. You don't need it yet, and if you do this too low, you just might wreck yourself.

When you're a student, the more experienced jumper that yells at you is right. Swallow your pride, not your femur.

Edit:

Skyhighkiy, what's your age and real name? We need to know these for the fatality database. Unless you're just trolling, you're a "Hard landing while making a low turn" entry waiting to happen.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Dropping into forums posting completely ridiculous shit in the effort to start huge fights or just generally behave like a complete numb nuts...

There are HIGHLY QUALIFIED skydivers on this forum that will give you the information you need to stay alive in this sport while having a good time (within reason).

As low time jumpers, it behooves us to listen and ask questions, however, giving any advice is not wise, nor useful in most cases... It can be downright dangerous in many cases.

Though we all do it from time to time, some of us are just craters waiting to happen, it'd be a damn shame if we have the same influence on an upcoming young jumper as well...

For my first four or five months here I ran my mouth a bit, but, new when to close it as well.

Since then, I spend twice the time connected, and ninetynine percent of that READING AND LEARNING.

Just be sure to weed out the idiots and look for the sensible information.

my 2 cents,

YMMV

jjf

it's a gas, gas, gas
It's a gas, gas, gas...

mmmk, so there have been a lot of warnings/angry private replies to my post.

"I'm now getting progressively lower with my 90 degree riser landings and etc. " was worded...maybe so that it was mis-interpreted by you guys. I haven't actually landed comming straight out of a 90. I'm "getting progressively lower" by doing 90 dives closer and closer to the ground, working my way down and getting the feel for how long it takes my canopy to level out and be ready for my landing. you know, getting used to the ground rush and being able to percieve visually, the amount of time I have before impact, hopefully softly.

I put a disclaimer before I started writing that I'm an extremely inexperienced jumper, and to take what I say, or leave it, knowing I have so few jumps.

My riser play is something that I"m doing in part because I can't stand to be stagnant for too long, and in part because the owner of my home DZ advised me to start playing hard w/ my canopy, due to his assessment of my landings.

I am being monitored by the experienced jumpers, the coaches, the tandem masters and the 2 owners of the dz.

However, thank you for the advice...and concern...I guess? :)
it will all be considered (sp?) but my riser play will continue, who knows, maybe you'll see my name in the database! L8aaaaaa

Blue skies

Nate Furl*** age: 19

BE THE BUDDHA!

The reason for the backlash is that those of us that have some experience and have been in the sport for a while have seen many people with your jump numbers (and higher) that have thought they were special. A good number of them are special and they now have special license plates that let them park in special parking spots so they can use their special chair...if you catch my drift. Those are the lucky ones. Some of the special people now have a special little plot of land they own with a special little marker noting their birth and death.

So the moral of the story is, get coaching, be careful and remember that you only have 50 landings or so, you don't know how to react quickly to random things happening yet.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, I understand there are quite a few that have gone in, I've heard countless stories from all the experienced jumpers at my home dz and other dz's I've visited

no, I don't think I'm special in any way and do believe that what I'm doing is dangerous, Hell, we're jumping out of planes! :)
Thank you all for your concern....concern/scoldings, lol.

But reallly...the focal point of my post was on whats his namey's brake approaches

BE THE BUDDHA!

Hee!
Hee!
Sounds like the original poster was doing a decent approach for his lightly-loaded student canopy.
Heck!
Manuals for competition accuracy canopies (Para-Foil, Eiff Challenger Classic, etc.) recommend approaching the target in deep brakes, near the dge of the stall.
I have done hundreds of approaches like that with Strato-Clouds, Vikings and Mantas. As long as you stall into in the pea gravel bowl, it is no big deal.

Sounds like the loud critic was trying to jam what little he knew about Stiletto approaches down the throat of the junior jumper.
Granted deep brake approaches are not healthy with heavily-loaded cnaopies, but the original poster was not heavily-loading his student canopy.

Lighten up!

What was buried in skyhigh's description of trying to kill himself was what the experienced jumper was probably worried about ... stalling the canopy.

Provided that you apply toggle input at a reasonable rate parachutes do not stall suddenly or unrecoverably, especially lightly loaded square ones.

The forward surge coming out of brakes is where you're more likely to get in trouble.

Head over to Tecumsa MI, they have a large amount of highly qualified swoop coaches over there that can help your landings improve 100x over.

I had 750 jumps when I took my first canopy control course. I was amazed with what I learned. I was also embaressed with just how little I know about my canopy even though I had been doing 180 hooks for some time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Is full breaking at 100-150 ft weighing 150 with a 209 sq ft canopy something I never should have thought of? Could the canopy just collapse all of a sudden?

Any advice is appreciate.. Thanks

Wow, you got some responses, eh? Reading your post I think the issue is that breaking that low is probably unnecessary and does contain quite a bit of risk. If it was not necessary to hitting your landing area I would say it was something that should not have been done. If you just wanted to learn to fly your canopy better you can experiment above 1,000 or 1,500 feet with that sort of thing. Experimenting at 150 feet is not necessarily a good idea. You should be able to plan a landing pattern that in full flight will allow you to hit your target with reasonable accuracy.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP