skyflygirl1

Now I'm really confused, S/L or AFF??

just been reading through this thread! :) i'm a static line student at the mo, although after a lot of thought i've decided to do an AFF course next spring - i've did the first jump course nearly a year ago and due to a combination of bad weather, not being able to get to the dz enough and low student funds, i've only managed 11 jumps and am still on dummy pulls, which is becoming frustrating. i've decided to save up and go for AFF, i know that each programme has it's pros and cons but i think that AFF will suit me better. SL was fine when i was at uni - the cheaper jumps and low initial cost made it easy on the pockets and the pressure wasn't on to get through the course as quickly as possible. Also it seemed like a good idea for the many of us who just wanted to do a single skydive, but couldn't afford a tandem, or wanted to go solo. however, maybe if you're really intent on becoming qualified sooner rather than later and want to take the sport us seriously, AFF is the way to go?
in the mean time i'm doing some SL jumps for fun and to practise accuracy as and when i can, as well as going to the windtunnel - ive got about 30 mins so far which i'm hoping will prepare me for the AFF. anyway that's my story, thanks for the discussion on the different courses! :D
-- Aizxana --

Most students that go through the IAD program at our DZ usually go 30 to 35 jumps before obtaining a solo certificate , They choose that option because they believe it to be cheaper , They spend $50.00 here and there and jump once or twice a weekend , They never really get current and in the long run spend far more than if they went through PFF program, There are a few students that go through the IAD program and do very well but they are very committed and will jump on any load where a jump master is available .The problem at a Cesna DZ and progression is that there are lots of students going to 3500' but very few that go on through 10, 15, 20 sec delays and unless you have at 3 students going to that altitude at one time it is just not feasible for the DZ , they would loose money , therefore most of those students sit around waiting forever . PFF makes money for the DZ , The student lays down the cash and the DZ tries to make sure that they are solo in 1 or 2 weekends .