MotherGoose

How to learn to pack chutes . . .

Get a packing bitch. That way you don't have to pack ;)

Just kidding haha.

Anyone else have this problem? I have a 190. I ordered a container for a 190. I got a 170 container. I just learned to pack and I am a girl with weak arms. I have CRIED over my pack jobs cos I STILL cannot get it in!
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

Yes it does.

I have seen girls suddenly get miraculous levels of assistance with packjobs just by looking like they might cry. They might not be packing it themselves, but they're still "packing" it.

For some reason this doesn't work for me :(
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

But we've all seen tiny chicks who can pack with the best of them (or better) also. Packing has nothing to do with strength, it has everything to do with leverage. Free packing lessons and free pack jobs also have everything to do with hot skydiver chicks.B|
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I just watched and practiced during my skydive training, especially on rainy days. Then I was fortunate enough to own my own rig before I was licensed, so I could take it home and practice. I also have a friend who's been in the sport for almost thirty years, and he's given me a lot of way cool packing tips.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I guess times have changed that people have to pay some one to teach them how to pack
I'm always willing to teach some one for no charge.

I second that emotion.

:D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Depends on the person.

I shouldn't say this.. but I'm going to. You can flame away, I know it goes against all that is what being a skydiver is about, but...

I once turned down beer from someone to get out of teaching them how to pack. I couldn't in good faith contribute in any way to enabling this person to jump out of an airplane. :S If anyone remembers Stephen Baldwin skipping across the pond on his side... It was painfull to watch this girl do it across the ground every time she jumped.

That being said, I have taught quite a few how to pack in my spare time.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

agreed, bad weather days are great for learning. At my DZ we'll sit around and pack, watch skydiving videos or just swap stories. Anything to learn something while you're doing nothing.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Two Fingers, , This Is Skydiving.

Packing has a lot more to do with control than brute strength. You get the air squeezed out and sausaged, tuck the top half into the tail and control it then jump off and get the bottom fold. Then you control the bottom half with you feet and knees while doing the top half.

If you try to muscle it you get into problems. You push down here to keep the air out and it slides out over there. I have seen one guy get the air out, walked off to have a coke, then came back to finish his job and the damn thing hardly moved.

Or learn to Psycho pack

He's absolutely right about strength not being the key. I started packing on cheapos with cones (trust me, you didn't miss much). It's about using the shapes of things to help you.

Just laying your bag in there and then running the pullup through the grommets is not the way to go. Get someone (either a rigger or an experienced packer -- not the young guy who DOES just muscle it in) to show you.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Oh, and when you do get that monster in the bag put the bag in the tray. Then jump on it with your knees and pull up on the side flaps and 'wiggle-wiggle' to get it down in the container farther. Thread your pull up cord, get a good grip on it (packing tools are nice here) and put one leg over the top of the rig to hold it down and "lean back, ah lean back." Use your body and leg strength to lever it closed.

Had another smallish packer that would put her feet on the bottom of the tray push the rig out with her legs to close it.

If you have to use serious muscle to close the container, the closing loop is too small or more likey you are doing it wrong. Leverage is the key. Use your knee to push the container towards the flap you are closing and keep your pullup or packing tool as low profile to the container as possible. Most people I see trying to muscle it are trying to pull the closing loop straight up through.

Using the entire deployment bag is key as well.. You want as much canopy in the corners of the D-bag as possible. Some people who leave alot of the canopy in the centre of the D-bag have problems with the locking stows and closing the container.

Correct me riggers if I am wrong, but this is also important because if you have a taught locking stow break in your packjob, you could end up with a bag lock on opening from out of sequence stow dump.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson