chrismgtis

No Chill Perception in Freefall

When the door opens you feel that wind enter the plane and you're thinking "MAN that is cold", but once you exit you don't seem to even notice that it is cold.

I'm assuming it's adrenaline keeping you warm and with everything going on you're mind is on other things? Or is there some scientific explanation to this?

Hey, not that I'm complaining. It just seems crazy to me that it's been probably 10-25'F up there the last few jumps and I couldn't even feel it. :D
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

i think it might be the adrenaline for newer jumpers (not that im not very new myself...). now im much more aware of whats going on in freefall, including how damn cold it can be, but now i wear two pairs of gloves and a buff over my face and its ok.

this gets me thinking though, at 120+ mph is there any chance of air-resistance/friction warming you up a bit? my whole body gets the chills when the door opens but once out it only tends to be my face that feels so cold

I hear people say this all the time, but I've never experienced it. I think around my 25th jump (in January) was the most miserable 60 seconds I've ever had. I will NEVER forget that jump. B|:D

And once my canopy opened, I felt 100 times better. Guess I'm just weird. :D

I usually don't notice it. I'm usually too busy with the task at hand and I think that is why I don't notice.
This past weekend on one of my dives I noticed how cold it was for a few seconds while waiting for the formation to form so that I could dock. I was like damn hurry up and dock, it's cold up here. Like it would make it warmer or something:D

I hope I never notice the cold the entire dive. I do usually wear pretty warm stuff when it's cold though anyway.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

If you think about it... when the shuttle re-enters, the air resistance generates an incredible amount of heat.

Although a person isn't travelling nearly as fast, the effect is still the name, just to a lesser extent. This may create enough speed for the falling air to actually warm you up.

I notice the same thing during freefall, I don't feel that cold, but once I'm under canopy, my hands go numb and I look forward to holding a nice hot chocolate.

Maybe a physicist could calculate the friction-heat generated from a 80kg mass falling at terminal.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

I tend to make my skydives "entertaining" enough that I don't feel the cold because I am doing twenty other things in freefall... It is hard to be cold when chasing a level 7 AFF student who is showing off how good his track is - or whipping points in an awesome 4way :P But, if I sat down and thought about it, I probably would be cold...

I didn't even notice that it was cold when I jumped on Sunday, it was probably the gloves or the extra layers I wore. But I could have just been too busy/happy to notice - I just did my CAT C and they released me and I was sooo happy to be free falling on my own.;) I really do love this sport!
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

Meh..

I notice the cold all the time. As soon as I start tracking I am even colder. I guess in this regard, less awareness in the air is a big plus.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

We had a day this spring at Raeford where it was extremely cold in free fall. I was doing tandems, and the cold hurt my teeth so much I didn't smile for the camera. My students got cold too - at least it only lasted for 45-50 seconds or so.

Doing military jumps from 25K FT MSL in the winter is c-o-l-d! Thank God for Capilene. You feel all of the temperature layers as you pass through them, some times warm to cold and back to warm again because of the temperature inversion.
Arrive Safely

John

>It's a newbie thing, with a little more expierence you will start
>noticing the cold.

Dunno about that. When I'm concentrating (4-way competition or whatever) I don't notice temperatures much, unless I can't feel my fingertips or something.

You'll sure notice it if you do CRW. Being under canopy at 13k and flying around for 10-15 minutes will really make you dress warm. I guess that's one good thing about being in a wrap. It's nice and warm and snuggly when you're inside a canopy or two. [:/]

Kevin

You know it's cold when you don't want to get off grips because they are blocking the windstream. When I become aware of my ears in freefall (even while training) under a full-face helmet, I know it's cold. But then, I'm a self-professed cold-pansy. Gimme heat any day.

there's nothing like grabbing your toggles and barely being able to feel your fingers... Crazy

What fingers?

When I last jumped a couple of weeks ago it was only a 30 second freefall from 7000' but once under canopy I didn't seem to have hands any more - just these hook shaped pain devices attached to my arms in the position where my hands used to be. :)

If you think about it... when the shuttle re-enters, the air resistance generates an incredible amount of heat.

Although a person isn't travelling nearly as fast, the effect is still the name, just to a lesser extent. This may create enough speed for the falling air to actually warm you up.

I notice the same thing during freefall, I don't feel that cold, but once I'm under canopy, my hands go numb and I look forward to holding a nice hot chocolate.

Maybe a physicist could calculate the friction-heat generated from a 80kg mass falling at terminal.

Negligible.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

When the door opens you feel that wind enter the plane and you're thinking "MAN that is cold", but once you exit you don't seem to even notice that it is cold.

I'm assuming it's adrenaline keeping you warm and with everything going on you're mind is on other things? Or is there some scientific explanation to this?

Hey, not that I'm complaining. It just seems crazy to me that it's been probably 10-25'F up there the last few jumps and I couldn't even feel it. :D

I've only noticed it on my hands and neck.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Negligible.:)

Burn up on re-entry???

I tend to make my skydives "entertaining" enough that I don't feel the cold because I am doing twenty other things in freefall...

unlike shooting 4way video where I've had thoughts in freefall such as, "hmm, that was a weird layer of cold air." or "gee, the I-15N is pretty backed up for this time of day." or "that cloud over there kinda looks a boat."

i really think it is not as cold in freefall , as it is with the door open in the plane. i usually tell my students that there is no wind chill factor in freefall, and that i dont know why, or if it is even true, but it certainly seems to be the case.
are there any physicists out there,who can comment on that.?