skybytch

You Graduated! Now What?

*This post references USPA's student program and A license requirements. If you aren't jumping in the US (or in some cases, even if you are), the following may or may not apply to you*

Different dz's use different words to describe the "grey area" between completing the AFF/IAD/SL program ("graduating") and getting an A license. They might say that you are "cleared to self jumpmaster" or "off student status." Regardless of which words are used, you can now jump by yourself.

So what's next?

- If you don't already have one, get a copy of USPA's SIM (Skydiver's Information Manual). It's available for purchase through USPA and many gear dealers; it's also available for download in pdf format at USPA's website. You'll need this information to pass the written license tests.

- Read the SIM. Pay special attention to sections 2 - 6. If you have questions about anything you read ask an instructor at your dz.

- Pick up a copy of Brian Germain's book "The Parachute and it's Pilot." It's available at many gear dealers or direct from Brian. Read it before your next skydive, and include one or more of the canopy drills in your plan for future jumps.

- Now's the time to start buying some of the stuff you need if you haven't already. Order a jumpsuit (see this article for some tips). Get a visual altimeter, a helmet, some goggles and maybe a pair of gloves. Start researching containers, reserves, AAD's and mains (lots of information on choosing your rig here.) Talk about equipment choices with your instructors, local riggers, gear dealers (both local and the nationwide ones), and other experienced jumpers, but always take what other jumpers have to say about gear with a grain of salt (just because I jump it does not mean it's the best choice for YOU).

You can go ahead and buy a rig now, but I wouldn't suggest it. You'll probably need to downsize from the canopies you've been jumping to the size canopy that will keep you happy and safe for your first couple hundred jumps, and you'll definitely be happier with what you get if you jump a number of different container brands and main canopy types/brands before buying. There is no magic jump number at which time it's best to have your own rig; it really depends on what rental/demo options are available and how much rental costs at the dz you jump at.

- Preplan everything about every skydive, from climb out to walking back to the packing area - yes, even solos.

- For your first jump after graduating, do a low pressure solo; don't plan to do much other than survive and have fun. Do whichever exit you like best. Practice turns if you'd like, but most importantly take some time to just enjoy the feeling of being alone in freefall. Pull at the same altitude you've been pulling at. Land safely after flying your preplanned pattern.

- For your next 5 jumps, do solos but focus more on canopy control than on freefall manuevers. Plan to pull high (8000 feet or so) - be sure to let others on your load know when you plan to pull; you'll likely be exiting last or close to last. Do whatever kind of exit you want to do (mix it up a bit; do a diving exit on one, a poised exit on the next, a cannonball on the next, etc). Work on starting/stopping turns until it's time to pull. Once you have a good canopy and are sure you'll make the landing area, it's time to play with your canopy.

Remember the canopy drills you did on your student jumps (they are listed on your A license card)? This is the time to practice them. If you don't understand how to do certain things, get with an instructor and find out. Plan what you are going to do under canopy before you get on the plane. On every jump, practice flaring up high.

Get an instructor to explain the "accuracy trick" and flat turns to you; time spent practicing using the accuracy trick and doing flat turns can definitely save you long walks and possibly even save you from injury or death in the future.

- This is the time to learn to pack. Your dz may offer packing classes or you may need to arrange packing instruction on your own.

- This is also the time to start hanging out at the dropzone more than you have before. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, the more you hang out, the more chance other jumpers have to get to know you; the more we get to know you, the more likely it is that we're going to ask you to jump with us. Second, by hanging out at the dz (especially post-sunset) you are increasing your opportunities to interact with instructors, riggers and other very experienced jumpers when they aren't busy instructing, packing and/or jumping. You can learn a lot from them, and it won't cost you much more than a few beers.

- After you've done a handful of solos, get with a coach or instructor and get the two "coach" jumps done.

- After doing the coach jumps, spend the next two or three jumps working on turns, recovering from instability and tracking in freefall and all of the canopy control skills you've been working on.

- If possible, do a couple of RW two ways with a coach, an instructor or with a D license holder who has the S&TA's okay to jump with pre-A license jumpers.

- Do the required hop and pops.

- Do the check dive, take the test and get that card stamped. You're now an A license holder!

Great information! Good advice!! Thanks for taking the time to post this here. Hopefully a lot of people will be able to benefit from this information!

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I don't particularly agree with all of what is said in this thread. Actually, you could say I disagree with a good deal of it.

Definitely do the first stuff skybytch talked about: get and read the SIM, read the canopy control books, start looking at gear, and be sure to plan everything thoroughly. After this is where I disagree.

If you are going to do solos and work on canopy control, just get out and pull right away. This would count as hop and pops anyways. There is no reason to "practice turns" by yourself until 8000'. You'll have no reference to know if you are back or front sliding, or if your center point turns are indeed about your center point. If you plan on working on RW (which by the way means relative work) you should have someone else to jump relative to.

I don't encourage a bunch of solos for those who are just off of student status. Get with somebody more experienced than you (I.E. coach or instructor) and do some 2 ways. Don't just "get the two "coach" jumps done. " There's no reason you can't do the two "coach" jumps more than once. They are about level control, swooping and docking and tracking. These are skills you'll need on every jump from now on. They are not to just be glossed over and "just gotten done."

Also, don't just "Do the required hop and pops." Understanding how to leave the plane stable from the moment you release is very important. Also, hop and pops tend to be cheaper, so why not do a few of them?

I guess my point is that I hate seeing new jumpers jumping alone and I really don't advocate a whole lot of solos for new jumpers. Maybe just 1 or 2.

Other than that, do the other stuff: learn how to pack, hang out at the DZ, do the check dive, take the test and get that card stamped. Best of luck to you.

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

Ok, I'm one of those newbies this thread is speaking to and for my self, I would have to agree with napaguy. I've been cleared to jump on my own and have done 3 solos. Great fun and I learned some things on the solos, but now I want more. I sense that I need to jump with someone so I can continue to learn the skills I need to be safe and have even more fun.

As a newbie, I do appreciate all of the comments and opinions. Blue Skies to everyone.

Thanks for the comments. :)
There are a few reasons I'm suggesting a lot of solos. First, at many dz's it can be very difficult for those in the "grey area" to find someone to jump with; they can't jump with just anybody yet and many times those they can jump with are busy doing other things.

The second reason is canopy control. Pulling high on solos allows for a lot more time to practice survival skills than doing a bunch of 2 ways allows for. We're not talking that many solos - 25 for the A license minus 7 for AFF jumps, 2 coach jumps and 2 hop and pops leaves 14 jumps. I dunno... considering that we seem to hurt and kill ourselves a lot more with good parachutes than we do with RW related incidents, 14 jumps spent working on canopy control instead of doing 2 ways early in their career seems like a good idea to me.

The third reason is cost. Not an issue at every dz, but at some the newbie is probably going to have to pay for at least the other jumpers slot. This probably won't happen once they have their A license. At this point, a jumper has already spent a lot of money and is looking at spending a lot more for gear. In cases like this, doing solos makes economic sense.

I suggest pulling high (8000'-ish) instead of doing a high hop and pop for a few reasons. Rental and student gear doesn't always fit so good; sitting in the saddle in a not-so-comfortable harness from 8000' is, imho, better than from 12500'. Second is freefall time. You don't get any when you do hop and pops. And third is tracking - if I could edit, I'd go back and suggest that they get the coach jump with tracking done early so they can practice it. But I do agree that doing hop and pops from whatever altitude are useful and from lower altitudes cheaper.

They are not to just be glossed over and "just gotten done."

Not the impression I meant to give. I'm assuming that the coach/instructor will let the jumper know the importance of the skills they learn on the jumps.

Personally, I don't think you need to defend the number of solo jumps portion other than to add if "economic reasons warrant" kinda thing.

And your advice about 8,000 is good... If one is at 12,500 on a HnP, a lot of DZs are in airspace that require the plane to circle the jumpers till 8K.

IMO they can practice solo RW "on the hill" using the plane as a reference (and if last out, it can be the reference point of all turns). One of the most important components of RW is those first fews seconds out of the plane. Awesome self-coach solo is to present yourself to the line of flight, then do a 360 on the hill back to it, then try for a 90 both ways, 180's sound easy as a diving exit, but hold it at 180 thru the hill.

There was a time not long ago that FF'ers did LOTSA solos around a BB's filled tennis ball with Streamer to learn.

Aaah anyway... As usual ya done good, Lisa.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I think that posting information like this is a great idea; however, I have to agree with Napaguy on many of the points. I know that it is hard for students to afford the training we would all like them to have, but to encourage them to do solos I don't think is the correct approach. I think we should encourage them to do as many coach jumps as possible because it really does make a difference in how quickly they learn. It may be more costly in the short term, but in the long term you get much more from it. I know a lot of coaches (myself included) who would be more than happy to cover my own slot if the student wanted to go up and work on something. People did that for me, and so I am passing on the favor and hopefully they will do the same. Another point is the more the student learns before he/she gets his/her license, the better the skydiver they will be and they will have the capability to jump with other people and be invited back more frequently.

If the student can't afford or find "free" coaches, then I agree, they should do a fun solo jump, but follow that up with a couple coach jumps (preferably on the same day with the same coach) and get some feedback. Then they could go do a couple solo jumps and work on what they just learned, then go back and do a couple coach jumps etc. The best of luck to all students!